main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Will Tim Zahn come back to the NEU to write a Big 3/Ben Solo novel or trilogy?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MillenniumFalcon2015, Feb 22, 2016.

?

Should Tim Zahn come back to write a Big 3/Ben Solo novel in the NEU?

Poll closed Jan 22, 2018.
  1. Yes

57.9%
  2. No

47.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    That's a pretty spot-on analysis --- Allegiance wasn't bad and I can't say I disliked it, but it was just kind of there. I'm sure everyone on this forum can agree that it was... a book. But everything that was mediocre about it was taken to awful extremes in Choices of One. The Mara gushing was ramped up disgustingly and combined with Thrawn gushing for good measure, the Han-bickers-with-Leia plotline aspired even harder to be as textbook and formulaic as possible, and the non-LaRone members of the Hand of Judgment turned into completely interchangeable characters with no distinguishing traits to be found. But hey, at least there was an Airen Cracken cameo.

Vthuil likes this.
  2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, Allegiance was ok, but I agree that Choices of One had even more problems. Originally I was probably more positive towards it, but in hindsight I agree about its quality. I'd rank them as Zahn's worst Star Wars books. Certain things like all the Mara focus and Thrawn cameo and such, those are unfortunately the worst parts of Zahn's writing.

Fortunately Scoundrels didn't have that problem. No Mara or Thrawn. It could be described as closer to scifi heist than Star Wars, but it worked fine I thought and was pretty entertaining.

While the old EU could have years of continuing adventures for the Big Three, with constant clashes with the Empire, not sure the nuEU will go in that direction. Sounds like the war basically concluded with the Battle of Jakku, a year after Endor. There could be other threats, or minor wars, but unfortunately, I expect the 30 year gap between RotJ and TFA to be kind of like the prequel era was- kind of quiet but with plenty of foreboding hints leading up to TFA. The Republic won't acknowledge the threat, plenty of ominous hints about Ben Solo, the characters won't realize what's going on until its too late, etc. Shattered Empire had a bit of story, but that wasn't that memorable either. Aftermath already had a few scenes that led to the status quo of TFA.

Whether its old or new authors, I just hope the quality is high and that the stories be somewhat original. Having most stories set during the OT is kind of boring for me after a while. Twilight Company was good, but I'm still in no rush to read Lords of the Sith or that Luke book or, um, I forget what else has been published. And Aftermath did not set a good example as the first post-RotJ novel. Though there was also that TCW novel, but I don't care about TCW. At least Lost Stars was good, I'm keeping an eye on that author.

3. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    But do you think we could see the OT3 get caught up in space battles/dogfights between Thrawn's Fleet and Nuso Esva's Eastern Fleet in future SW novels with the OT3 set between ROTJ and TFA? Did anyone like Thrawn and Nuso Esva?? Hello??

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The likely reason you're not getting much in the way of response is that, at best, this is speculation with a snowball's survival chances in hell.

That said, it's a pity there won't ever be an expansion on the Thrawn / Esva story. If you don't have it, get the HTTE 20th Anniversary hardback as the Crisis of Faith novella finishes that story.

5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Soooo...um...any news from the London con that may be of interest? I heard that Zahn, Ostrander and Wheatley were attending [face_whistling]

No...nothing...ok :(

6. IronMant

IronMant Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Disney doesn't deserve to have Timothy Zahn, or any other expanded universe author, writing stories for them after what they did.

7. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Awww...how cute. A BBLer! Missed you guys...

8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I actually thought Allegiance was worse than Choices. It literally copies a scene from Spectre of the Past and swaps Luke for Mara. While the so called mystery simply leads to more Pirates which gets boring as Mara decimates them by the hundred. She herself is so uber that she can literally beat Vader (who literally bellows with rage) and goes from being an Assasin to Judge Dredd (In Zahns own words) yet he expects us as to reader to accept that all she does is fight Pirates !
    The StormTrooper A-Team are so bland and interchangeable I think Zahn even forgets one of the names at one point but it doesn't matter as know one notices. While the ISB agent is an idiot and suddenly decides to try and kill Mara because Zahn didn't want her fighting the Rebellion.

As for the OT characters they truly are dealt with badly. Vader is caught on Palpatines Google before shown to be jealous of an 18 year old girl. Obi-wan is on Force Ghost skype literally telling Luke what to do, who also gets locked in a cupboard at the end ! That was not the take charge Luke at the end of ANH or the battle scarred leader on Hoth that's for sure. Leia gets a job as a waitress while Han is just there. It was almost a parody.

In short Zahns characters are awesome and the OT characters are nothing compared to them. In Choices Luke stops and stares in wonderment at Mara but in spite of all that it at least is kind of fun in not great but not bad kind of way. This was just boring.

9. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Zahn's writing sounds like it'll fit in just fine with the new Disney canon, as long as he follows certain guidelines laid out for him, i.e. the Disney characters are awesome and the OT characters are nothing compared to them :p :
    Luke stops and stares in wonderment at Rey as she does all the things that he should have been doing, and with minimal training no less, while he was standing around looking at the ocean on Ahch-To.

fett 4 likes this.
  10. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I liked both Allegiance and Choices. Not amazing, but good stories.

Scoundrels, however, was bland as hell. I was surprised with how boring it was.

But I'd like more SW Zahn books. I don't think it's out of the range of possible things.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    One thing I will say about Allegiance is that I give Zahn credit for referencing Vader's rivalry with Xizor. For something that was made such a big deal in SOTE, I think this was the only time it actually came up again in a pre-SOTE work.

12. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    ^ It featured heavily in Jeter's Bounty Hunter trilogy, but otherwise, yeah, very underused.

13. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014

Why do you keep posting these things? No one knows! It's pointless and incredibly annoying.

Jedi Ben and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I want SW novels to be interesting and fun again like The Thrawn Trilogy by Tim Zahn as well as the Hand of Thrawn duology,Outbound Flight and Allegiance and Choices of One with the OT3,the Falcon,the UR,the Chiss,Thrawn and Nuso Esva and the best spectacular space dogfights ever read in an epic SW HC novel or trilogy.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    To be honest, you need to punctuate first.

If you're going to keep doing this - doubtless you will - include in your thread title that it's speculation. You posting a thread titled 'Big 3 2016 Trilogy?' only for people to click on it to find it it to be your speculating will cheese them off.

16. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    Did I not ask "Will Tim Zahn come back to the NEU to write a Big 3/Ben Solo novel or trilogy? I just want my Unknown Regions and my OT3 back as well as the Falcon and Thrawn,the Chiss and Nuso Esva back too? Is it too much to ask??!!

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I want to see him get in a fight with Zeta.

WMIRTUTSF and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Why would there be a fight?

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The answers are kind of obvious:

No, he won't be back.
    Yes, it is too much to "ask".

You're posting as if by doing so you'll get what you're asking for but it doesn't work that way.

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    If it worked that way, I would have gotten what I wanted by now, TCW and the post-NJO wouldn't have happened and the new canon wouldn't be a new canon but more of the EU.

Valin__Kenobi and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Zeta....

[face_laugh][face_rofl]

Funny and accurate!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm hoping Timothy Zhan comes back to write a Operation Durge's Lance trilogy.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Oh I have no doubt you would have found something not to like that would have driven you crazy for 10+ years as well.

24. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    Just when a new annoying poster pops onto the scene Zeta comes back just to remind everyone he is the King

never change

BigAl6ft6 and Stymi like this.
  25. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Don't steal Zeta's thunder...at least he's consistent in his reviews based on others people's opinions of reviews that already agree with his preconceived notions.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.