main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will TPM be in VH1's "I Love the 90s"?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by qui-gon-kim, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    this doesn't have to do w/ TPM, but if you noticed, they also left out "friends" as well which just doesn't make since as it is (IMO) one of the best sitcoms ever

2. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    They have to save some good stuff for ILT90s 2.

3. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well, they did have to be very choicy in their selections. They can't include everything, and our memories of the 90's are still very fresh. If you think about it, they left a helluva lot out of the 80's and 70's specials too.
    The late 90's especially became a hustle and bustle as communications took off in leaps and bounds and fads and trends came and went like water.
    It also seems they were trying to include half mainstreams and half obscure things that people may have forgotten.

4. superxero

superxero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    They have to save some good stuff for ILT90s 2.
    Yea. Part Deux will be funnier.

5. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Just thought I'd resurrect this thread, since I Love the 90s Part Deux is airing this week.

BTW, in 1990, they had a pic of lightsaber weilding Yoda from AOTC when describing that mutant baby in Total Recall.

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I wonder if TPM will be mentioned in 1999 this time around... or the Trilogy Special Edition...

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    If they do mention Episode One I don't think they'll say alot of nice things about it.

8. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Varsity Blue over TPM? ... Ok...

9. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    hey man, dont rag on varsity blues. that movie changed a lot of lives, including mine.

:p

10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Part Deux is now on, I don't know how far they got. They were doing 1995 this morning. Anyway they air it so many times that I'm sure we will catch 1999 Deux at least once.

-Seldon

11. S_W_lover

S_W_lover Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2003
    they should really give these "I love the ____" things a rest. at this rate we'll have i love the 20's in no time.

12. Bubba_the_Genius

Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
    Wascally is right: they featured Varsity Blues but not The Phantom Menace.

In the United States, The Phantom Menace was the biggest grossing movie of the year, making $431 million.

Varsity Blues? #44, at $52 million.

Domestic grosses are not the sole indicator of cultural influence, but come on. Varsity Blues made less money than Inspector Gadget and even Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo.

Maybe VH1, owned by Viacom, just wanted to feature corporate brethren, like Paramount's Varsity Blues, MTV's TRL and Jesse Camp, Nickelodeon's Spongebob Squarepants, and its own Behind the Music.

Disgusting.

13. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Don't even tell me we have to wait until I love the 90's Part Trois. They've advertised Jar Jar since last summer. TPM was if not the most important aspect of the media in 99. They did Titanic and T2 for Part Deux. This is ridiculous already.

14. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I went to the "I Love the 90s" official site.
    From there, I clicked on 1999.

This is the write up they had.

Quick stock up on canned goods and bottled water it's 1999!!! Y2K it will be the end of us!. Oh wait. Remember all that ridiculous frenzy that had computer geeks all over the world laughing hysterically? Ok seriously, 1999 may not seem that long ago, but let's take a quick drive by and see how much we have easily swept under the carpet.

Many of you waited in anticipation for the return of Star Wars. Jar Jar Binks?? That was a major let down. Everyone suddenly thought Regis Philbin was cool and that he could make us all millionaires, Lou Bega was preaching his Mambo #5 all over town. Christina, Britney, Jessica & Mandy popped out of nowhere using the age old Lolita formula and bubble gum pop took over the airwaves. Tony Sopranos reigned supreme-he had everyone glued to their television sets every single Sunday night-the Mafia was back in full effect and we loved it. Another powerhouse had us glued to the set - Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastain showed us true girl power by winning the World Cup in gritty American sexy style.

Do you see dead people? Haley Joel Osmand did and Bruce Willis confirmed it. Dr. Atkins told us all to stick to the beef and we too could shake our lambada like Ricky, Enrique and Mark Anthony. 1999 got millions of kids and adults to fall in love with Harry Potter - reading was suddenly fun again. '99 also finally graced Susan Lucci with an Emmy after 19 nominations...thank goodness. But most importantly 1999 was bold enough to give our first hot teen girl on girl kiss...ahhh so cruel but so naughty.

So all you Matrix fans are you going to take the red pill and see where this rabbit hole goes? Grab your Pokemon, a bowl of popcorn and settle in on the couch, your in for a fun filled hour of '99 memory lane. Welcome to 1999!

As you can see TPM is mentioned at the top of the second paragraph. Odd if they didn't feature him in the episode.

-Seldon

15. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    That sums up the original I Love 1999. Matrix, HP and Millionaire were all from that show this past summer. It's a conspiracy!

16. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    They also did Animaniacs rather than Beavis & Butthead. Now tell me-what was bigger?

The only possible explanation I could think of would have to do with copyrights. But even then I doubt it.

(I actually would LOVE an "I Love the 20s!" But that's me.)

17. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I think it would be "I love the 00s!"
    I love the 20s would be coming after the 2020 decade. That would be the 20s. We are currently living in the 00s.

-Seldon

18. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    IIRC, Varsity Blues was produced by Mtv, which owns VH1, and heavily promoted the film back in 1999.

19. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    When I said '20s, I was referring to the 1920s.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I liked Varsity Blues. It's the entertaining version of Friday Night Lights. VH1 also featured Cruel Intentions and Being John Malkovic(sp) 99 part Deux.

I really don't see Hal Sparks, Rachael Harris or Michael Ian Black saying anything positive of The Phantom Menace

21. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Rachael Harris, Michael Ian Black and Mo Rocca are the only good ones to watch on that show anyway.

-Seldon

22. Orionsangel

Orionsangel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    The original films had something the prequels haven't had. Han, Luke & Leia were like a team and by the third film, like family. They cared about each other and we cared about them. That hasn't really happened with the prequel films. The character's seem more distant from one another.

Yeah you're right, SW isn't about the acting, but the in original SW films. The characters had more charm and that witty cinisism. They worked off each other. It's probably because they were actually in the room with each other with real sets.

If you're acting with characters that aren't there in a blue room. It's hard to get good performances out of these prequel actors. Lucas has gotten better with each film, in that he can now show the actors on set a TV screen. As to where they are in the scene, who they're talking too. He's also hired an acting coach. That's why I have the most hope for ROTS in the acting department.

What the original SW films had that the prequels can't have is that aspect of being something new and daring. It had that wow factor. How did they do that?, and the originals had no real competition. It was in a league of it's own. The Prequels today are compared to every other movie. They're being released in a crowed blockbuster market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.