main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will we even have a chance at the OT vintage figs?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by k3po, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darcphoenyx

darcphoenyx Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    If you work at Target...know new figures are on the shelves...and have the chance to buy them at midnight...that's a no brainer. Any collector is well within his rights to pick up a toy as soon as he gets the opportunity. It's when you are hoarding or scalping that it's a problem.

What else would you have him do, ignore the figures sitting right in front of him and let them sit on the shelves for a few days before he finally picks them up?

Refuse to buy at his own employer, and instead go out hunting at Wal-Mart and TRU hoping he finds them elsewhere?

He's there, the toys are there...yes he has a slight unfair advantage, but if he's only picking up what he needs he's no different than the sorts of guys who show up right as a store opens every single morning...and I've met quite a few of those.

I will agree with you on one point however...bragging about it is another matter.

2. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    "He's there, the toys are there...yes he has a slight unfair advantage, but if he's only picking up what he needs he's no different than the sorts of guys who show up right as a store opens every single morning...and I've met quite a few of those."

That is totally different from the guys that show up "every single morning". They're going in while the store is open to the public. These employees are buying when the store is closed, which is unfair to the other 99% of collectors who don't have such an opportunity. If I were an employee working at a store that carried figures, and I knew that they were going to have something I wanted, I would do the most ethical thing and go in the next morning when the store opened. I've been a victim to these kinds of employees... it obviously sucks. I also know employees who sometimes didn't put figures on the shelf until their buddies got first picks, and once they did, the leftover pegwarmers were the only ones to make it out. At my Target, there are at least two employees that buy these. If there were some figures you guys wanted, and you found out that you could never get to them because of that one employee who bought them before you got the fair chance to, you'd be pissed.

3. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    PM, I know of multiple stores where workers get first draw, but there is nothing unethical for them to do that. This is something where I know of a store that would not allow the employees to have first pull, so they would damage cards or hide the figures on top shelves to make sure that they got the best pulls anyways. HEck, if it really bugs you, contact the store manager and lodge a complaint.

4. Rabid__Wolverine2004

Rabid__Wolverine2004 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2004
    ok i apologise if you think im rubbing it in your face and im not.

number 2. most people at my work just steal that stuff.

3. my boss hangs on to that stuff for me before i clock out.

i'll fill you guy's up with some information as soon as possible.

5. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    Wonder if we will be able to buy these individually online like at Amazon? I dont want every single one. We should all help eachother when the time comes. I'm totally willing to buy an extra vintage figure of which ever if someone lets me know. We should create a list here of which everyone wants (maybe a admin can help us keep it updated) and if someone finds what the other guy wants, can ship it over for the normal price. I dont know, just an idea.

6. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    k3po, that's what the trading forum is for. But I like your thinking. Helping each other should be something we all are interested in doing.

7. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    I dont want to trade, just buy the VOTC fig someone is looking for, send it to them and they just repay the cost of shipping and the $9.99. I dont want anything in return except if someone finds one of the ones I'm looking for. rather help and more hands on the pegs between us than some scalper. i dont know, masybe we can come up with a plan of attack where the Mods would agree with.

8. Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof

Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 19, 2000
    "i dont know, masybe we can come up with a plan of attack where the Mods would agree with."

The problem isn't that the mods don't want trading on the boards, I wanted a trading forum here on the JC as did MJF (I don't remember CrazyMike's stand on the issue, but I believe he was for it as well when we were discussing it a few months back) the problem is the no trading rule came down from the board owners, and as such only they can change that rule.

Now, Josh was willing to start a focus group to go over the idea of starting a board here for a forum that would allow trading and selling items, but he wouldn't go ahead with it until the other board owner, Philip Wise, gave his approval as well. Well, I tried and tried to get in contact with Phil, but he never answered any of the private messages or emails I sent him about the issue. I've checked and I know he read the private messages I sent, and I was using an email address Josh gave me to email him, so I don't see how he couldn't have gotten those as well. Since he failed to ever get back to me at all I can only assume he was against the idea for whatever reason and decided to simply ignore the issue until it went away.... :(

For now if you want to do any type of trading, selling or whatnot on the boards your best bet would be to try and get involved with the Fan Force trading board. Since FF is pretty much independent of TFN they can allow trading in their forums, but I believe there are restriction on just who can and can't get into the board. You'll have to talk to either MJF, CrazyMike or your local Fan Force chapter's City Rep for more info on that as I don't know much about the FF side of things.

9. darcphoenyx

darcphoenyx Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    either that or someone could setup an independent trading board ;)

10. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    Ok, well thanks Neck for trying.

11. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Since we have two conversations going on I'd like to answer, I'll seperate them.

1) Buying toys from the store you work from.
    I think thats its fine to buy merchandise from the store you work from ahead of time, whether its toys or clothes or whatever everyone who works in retail does it. Why else even work at a toystore, to encounter snotty-nosed kids and their angry parents day after day?
    To me it sound like "sour grapes" from people who think their being noble when it doesn't really matter.

2) The actual subject of this thread, OT figures on vintage style cards.
    To me, its just an excuse for repackaged figures. They already are releasing saga figures on Ep2 style blue cards and are now releasing them again on black cards.
    It looked kinda cool seeing the silver clonetrooper on an old school card, sort of tying together the new line with the old one, but the new OT figures on old cards doesn't do it for me.
    It'd be cool if they re-release the old style figures like Mattel did with He-Man. That was a good idea, and they sold well.
    My guess is yes, you will have a chance at these OT figures because they'll be sitting on the shelf waiting for the collectors who will actually buy yet another of the same figure. ;)

12. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    Wonder when we will have more pics of the up coming vintage figs. 2 more months.

13. Rabid__Wolverine2004

Rabid__Wolverine2004 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2004
    maybe we'll get more pics when the figures are on the eve of release.

14. Mapman

Mapman Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2003
    This is nothing against Rabid, just an observation, but the fact that your boss holds figures for you is kind of a kick in the head when they won't go in back to check in the stock room for a customer, but they WILL hold them for an employee.

Rabid, so seeing as your probably going to have your boss hold the OTC figures for you, are you going hold some for your fellow collectors so the scalpers don't get them all? Yea I have alterior motives here, I live near Rabid....

15. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    Figured i better up this and help each other out when this stuff starts arriving.

16. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    As every store in my area has the pegs loaded with stuff that people weren't buying a year or more ago, I don't see that it is likely that the OTC line will be available for quite some time...

17. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    i agree with rebelspook-there's so much junk around here that nobody wants, i just don't see the OTC arriving soon. i think the best shot is when the DVD is released. i'm trying not to get my hopes up, but i'd love to see a full-on star wars extravaganza. we'll probably just get one little DVD display and some OTC figures, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.