main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will we ever learn how Max von Sydow's character obtained the map to Luke?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sith_rising, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Hm, must have been a different version of paperback to the one I have, no E-Book in mine.

2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Really? My copy has both the "Perfect Weapon" and "Bait" short story from the official magazine. In fact, the only reason I got the paperback because of those stories (I'd already gotten the hardcover).

3. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I might have the "International" paperback which comes out at the same time as the Hardcover over here but is still more expensive than a normal paperback.

4. vaderfandan

vaderfandan Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2004
    I just posted this in a different forum/thread. But I think this thread would be appropriate as well. This is what I *WISH* we'd see in Episode IX. You'll see the "twist" pretty early on, but please read the entire thing before you roll your eyes at me. Any feedback, good or bad, is appreciated. Here we go...

--------------------------------
    EPISODE IX
    Rey is haunted by the revelation about her parents. She has sad and painful visions and dreams that reveal memories she had forgotten, like the faces of her mother and father. But in these dreams and visions there is someone else. No name. No face. But someone else.

Rey feels compelled to confront her past on Jakku. She finds Unkar Plutt. She demands information about her parents. He refuses. He denies knowing anything about them. Rey knows he's lying and searches his mind. (Just as Kylo Ren and Snoke had done to her.) Plutt’s mind reveals the face of the nameless someone. It’s the face of Lor San Tekka. She finds his burned and abandoned home. Inside, hidden & buried, she finds a hologram that reveals the following...(THE HOLOGRAM IS ACTUALLY INTENDED FOR LUKE. THE HOLOGRAM BEGINS WITH AN APOLOGY FROM TEKKA, THAT HE HAS BEEN KEEPING A SECRET FROM LUKE FOR DECADES)

Immediately after ESB, Leia contacts Lor San Tekka and asks him to retrieve Luke’s lightsaber from the Cloud City of Bespin. He arrives as Vader departs. He meets with Lobot who directs him where to go. Lor San Tekka finds the lightsaber (AND LUKE'S SEVERED HAND), then returns it to Leia, Luke, and Lando. (BUT HE DOESN'T TELL THEM ABOUT LUKE'S HAND. HE KEEPS IT FOR HIMSELF)

From there, San Tekka visits a rundown, barely functioning, medical facility. (THIS IS WHERE HE TAKES LUKE'S HAND)

Years go by. (THE MEDICAL FACILITY IS STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS. AND THE WORK BEING DONE IS COMPLICATED)

When Leia is giving birth to Ben Solo, Lor San Tekka is there. Shortly after the birth, he returns to the rundown medical facility, which is run by a familiar race of beings we have seen in the past. (AT BEN'S BIRTH, TEKKA WAS ABLE TO ACQUIRE GENETIC MATERIAL FROM LEIA. THE MEDICAL FACILITY IS RUN BY KAMINOANS. AND NOW YOU KNOW WHERE I'M GOING WITH THIS)

More time goes by. (ATTEMPTS TO CLONE LUKE FAILED. ATTEMPTS TO CLONE LEIA FAILED. BUT COMBINING LUKE & LEIA'S DNA WAS A SUCCESS. SIMILAR TO WHAT HAPPENED IN JURASSIC PARK, IN WHICH REPTILE DNA HAD TO BE ADDED FOR SUCCESS.)

Next, we see Lor San Tekka he is on Jakku. He is meeting with a man who appears down on his luck. He hands the man money. Over time he continues to assist the man, who has a wife and young daughter. (THE BEST PLACE TO HIDE THE CHILD (REY) WAS IN THE WORST POSSIBLE PLACE, WITH THE WORST POSSIBLE PEOPLE. TEKKA PAID REY'S PARENTS TOP DOLLAR TO RAISE HER AS THEIR OWN) Until one day, he returns to the man’s home and finds them gone. (REY'S PARENTS SAVED ENOUGH TO FINALLY LEAVE JAKKU, THEN SOLD HER TO UNKAR PLUTT. THEY BETRAYED BOTH TEKKA AND REY) He searches the city and eventually passes by Unkar Plutt, who has a young child with him. The child is Rey. From that point on, Lor San Tekka watches Rey from afar. Just as Obi Wan had looked after Luke.

Years go by. (THE PLAN WAS TO HIDE REY FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. JUST AS LUKE (AND LEIA) HAD REMAINED HIDDEN FOR 2 DECADES-ISH)

Shortly before TFA, Tekka records the hologram and hides it. (TEKKA'S HOLOGRAM ENDS WITH INSTRUCTIONS ON WHERE TO FIND REY ON JAKKU)
    --------------------------------

Here's what I like about this idea -
    *Rey IS a Skywalker. However, what Kylo said (and she believed) about her parents (they were nobodies) is also true. As is her vision of them leaving in TFA.
    *Unlike Luke, Leia, or Kylo/Ben, she is 100% Skywalker. This explains why Rey has been such a Mary Sue.
    *It resolves what happened to Luke's lightsaber, and creates an (implied) chain of ownership - Luke, Tekka, Luke/Leia/Lando, Maz.
    *It ties in elements from the PT, the OT, and the ST. (Kaminoans, ESB, TFA, TLJ)
    *It is possible within "movie canon".
    *Lor San Tekka is no longer a wasted character. (You thought he was a wasted character in TFA, but in the end you find out how important he actually was)
    *It avoids cloning an established character. I am opposed to bringing back established characters via cloning. This seems like a reasonable compromise.

What I don't like about this idea -
    *I don't like the idea of clones. However, this establishes the idea that cloning a Force user is very hard, and it's not cloning an established character.
    *There's a lot of backstory that would need to be conveyed in a quick but understandable way. But I think that's possible in the hands of a good writer and/or director.

I know this is nothing but fan fiction, and this will never happen in Episode IX. But I'd still like your feedback. Good or bad. Or if you have any questions.

Dukeleto69 likes this.
  5. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Didn't know that a version like that existed. I got the American paperback version (taller than a normal paperback). Kinda regret it, given that I didn't enjoy the new stories that much and the novelization itself is not my favorite.

6. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Yeah I detest the novelization. Reads more like Star Trek (which I like too) it just doesn't read like Star wars.

7. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    Uhhh, wouldn't Rey have some physical deformities if this were true? Just sayin'!

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  8. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I think Rey would be like "Don't make my backstory rubbish like that!"

9. Dukeleto69

Dukeleto69 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    Different folks and strokes and all that of course.

Personally I want things answered in the films not dependent on NEU/EU

10. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Mostly true. We are told the rebels have won their first battle and rebel spies stole the plans in the crawl.

Vader says the transmission was beamed to this ship.

The brass say Vader hasn't recovered the stolen plans.

We get it, the rebel spies stole the plans.

The how?

Not an iota of information on that but of course no one particularly cares though it is way more of a point of interest than the custody chain of how Lor San Tekka came to have a map to the original Jedi temple.

Must we go on a tour of the power plant if a character flips on a light?

11. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I agree. It's fun to get that story later, sure. But the map was always a McGuffin and I don't feel any further elaboration was necessary if they weren't exploring that further.

12. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    My problems with it were that I thought the overly verbose writing style was a poor fit with the story (it made a lot of the new dialogue stand out from stuff taken from or based on the actual script). The charm the actors brought to the roles was missing (understandable, but the book's version didn't really stand out that much on their own terms). It read like a film adaptation and not like a novel. For comparison, read the Rogue One novelization; that one is written in such a way that it could've just been a stand-alone tie-in novel and no one would be the wiser.

My main complaint is that the TFA novelization was really flat with the characters. We don't learn anything about them that we don't get in the movie (the exact opposite of Rogue One). The TFA junior novelization is the one I think is the better of the two; while less expansive, it digs into the characters a lot better. My go-to example is the scene where Finn leaves at Takodana. In the adult novelization, it reiterates that Rey is upset over it, but that's all the details we get. In the junior novelization, it's articulated why she's hurt by his decision (she's been abandoned by people all her life and was hoping it would be different this time).

I did like a lot of the new scenes (esp. with the Resistance before we meet them at Takodana in the film), but I'm really glad that Jason Fry is writing the next one.

13. vaderfandan

Nov 15, 2004
    That was the issue when tying to clone Luke. And when trying to clone Leia. It wasn't until they combined the DNA of both that they were successful. Like the example I gave about Jurassic Park. The reptile (Leia) DNA filled the "problems" with the dinosaur (Luke) DNA. Same concept.

14. vaderfandan

Nov 15, 2004
    I like my backstory better than the Mary Sue backstory. Which is what we've currently got.

15. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I don't like the ST.

However, the lack of backstory for how Lor san tekka got the map. How R2 got the second half of the map. How Maz got a hold of the LS. Are not really important or critical to the story. and, IMHO, are ok to leave for other stories to tell those backstories.

Same for Syfo-Dyas in AOTC. We, the audience, know that he was a Jedi and member of the council but was killed before the Kaminioans say he placed the order for the clones. Which to me point out to Syfo-Dyas being killed (by Maul or Dooku), and then someone (Maul, Dooku or Palps), showing up in Kamino pretending to be from the Jedi Council. Again, who Syfo-Dyas is, is not important. He was a member of the Jedi council that was killed.

The issues I have with the story-telling lie elsewhere...

WebLurker likes this.
  16. The Last Cookiemonster

The Last Cookiemonster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    I think you've got it the wrong way around. We've got more than enough information about the Rebels stealing the plans to understand what's going on, that's a very straightforward concept with mechanics which we know. We don't know how this new dude has the secret map to Luke Skywalker or how he fits into the story or anything. It's hard to make sense of what's going on with him.

There's a bunch of info given on how the Rebels got the plans unlike the earlier poster claimed, yet none about who or how or why in the 2nd case.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018