main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will we get Star Wars fatigue?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by SchrödingersFett, Oct 5, 2015.

1. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015

Can someone teach me how to like Inside Out? Oh, does it not work that way?.... :( I REALLY want to like it.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Hey, if you don't like it, no worries. Different strokes.

Darth_Pevra and Darkslayer like this.
  3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Lol no chance

4. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I saw Mad Max, and while it was visually stunning, I feel like the plot was really just an excuse for cool driving scenes. I bet if you cut it to just dialogue, it'd be a five minute movie. I definitely don't need to see it again.

Not into horror.

I saw Inside Out, and genuinely do not understand the hype. It was easily the weakest of all Pixar offerings, and I'm including the festering turd that was Wall-E in that category.

5. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015

I often feel as I am the only one who liked Wall-E just as much as the dark knight during the summer of 2008.
    :(

6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I like Wall-E more than the Dark Knight...

queenofhollywood likes this.
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Did you just call Wall-E that! [face_shame_on_you]

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Apparently we're already suffering so much Star Wars fatigue that we started discussing Mad Max, The Dark Knight and Wall-E in this thread ;)

Pensivia likes this.
  9. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    While I didn't care for Inside Out too much, I say it's Pixar's best since Toy Story 3 (another movie I didn't understand the hype for). In my heart, Up was the last Pixar masterpiece to come out.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Inside Out wasn't bad, but I didn't get the hype either. A lot of the other Pixar movies are better, IMO. And yeah, Up is excellent. Not just an excellent Pixar movie, or an excellent animated movie... it's just an excellent movie, period.

11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Up is probably my favorite movie of theirs, bar none. Those opening five minutes were absolute emotional napalm.

Sarge and EHT like this.
  12. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Why does everyone care so much about dialogue in Mad Max: Fury Road? What really needs to be said that isn't said or convey or displayed... Nevermind.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wachoo talkin' 'bout?

Sarge likes this.
  14. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    By the way, did anyone else grow to associate the figure "Luke Skywalker in Bespin Fatigues" with the word "fatigue"?
    Anyway, in 2012 when the new movies and Lucasfilm sale were announced, my local news added the question, "are you excited for new Star Wars or are you burned out on it?" Some replied they were burned out, and I wonder why.
    I'm often wondering what it would have been like if there'd been this much STAR WARS in the early or even mid-'80s. I can't imagine waking up on Saturday morning and wondering when to play: IV, V, VI era, prequel era, etc., or to play one of many video games. I stopped playing with the toys a year-and-a-half after Return of the Jedi came out after I spent the summer away from all my toys and I was getting excited about other things (Go-Bots, toy guns because of Red Dawn). While Star Wars was considered over and complete, I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    As long as we're talking different movies - Mad Max: Fury Road is the best movie I've seen so far this year. As a long-time fan of the post-apocalyptic genre in general, and the Mad Max movies in particular, I was really happy with how well I thought that movie lived up to the hype. In fact, I'd say it's one of the best action movies in decades.
    Another movie I had really high hopes for was Jurassic World, but I thought that one was a stinker (and I'm unhappy about its director being handed Ep9, since I thought the direction was pretty terrible).
    Now I'm looking forward to the last Hunger Games movie, which I think has a lot of potential (love the first three).

But if The Force Awakens lives ut to its hype as well as Fury Road did - we're in for a treat this December! :)

16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I can't speak for "we", but yes it's very, very easy for me to get Star Wars fatigue. I have no interest in seeing Star Wars become the new James Bond. I actually enjoyed that each theatrically released episode was a cultural milestone, no matter how it was received. Part of the reason SW has held that significance is in it's relative rarity; these films only come alone once in a blue moon.

I hope like hell they can keep the quality high for each episode and the spin offs, but even if they do something, for me, is lost in Star Wars basically becoming a typical, oversaturated film franchise.

Pensivia likes this.
  17. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Have you read the books? I won't spoil or impose my views (especially since they seem opposite because I liked JW and thought MM was boring,) but Mockingjay, well, let's just say the ending of the book was very unpopular among its readers when it came out. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that most people seeing the movies hadn't read the books. It was bad enough that I threw mine away and haven't looked back.

18. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I remember trying to understand that when I was a kid. "Was he tired when he was wearing that?" lol.

19. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Yeah, I hated the end of Mockingjay. The first two were so promising, and I loved reading them.

Mockingjay was just a boring slog.

And yet they stretched it out even more, into 2 movies!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    There were a couple good parts in Mockingjay but it felt inferior to the first two books.

Darth Kermit likes this.
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Star Wars fa.....wtf. I have been one of GL's babies since 1977. Though my attention goes to other places the idea I'd get tired of SW is not accurate. The only way I'd get tired of it is if the current powers that own it screw it up.

22. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I don't feel like the question at hand is targeted at the individual scale, or even the general populace of this forum. Instead it seems to be more of a question about the general public.

23. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I've not read the books (so no spoilers :) ), but my flatmate didn't seem to mind the ending of the books (she's read them a couple of times). We'll see how the movie turns out I suppose :)

24. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    I'm not worried about fatigue to be honest because the films released each year are only going to loosely relate to one another. The anthology films aren't going to have anything to do with the ST and that will alleviate some of the possible oversaturation that I think people may expect.

Take Marvel for example, I'm not their biggest fanboy but I admittedly have some Marvel fatigue. Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2 just didn't leave me excited for the next films to be released and since they all are intermingled, that carries over.

If we get a Boba Fett movie that's set between the PT and OT that isn't done up to fan standards, I don't think it would impact anticipation for Episode IX for example.

25. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Star Wars fatigue? Is that even possible? I may have gotten a little "less" of a fan during the years between 2005 and 2010, but I didn't exactly stop consuming Star Wars stuff during that time.