main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Will we have a June Meeting in Altimonte?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by RebelCommando, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelCommando

RebelCommando Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    Let me suggest we should decide if to have meetings as scheduled or not instead of this constant confusion.
    The meetings can be planned with the understanding that even if only a few people want to go it's still on. On the flip side we could set a minimum number and if it's less than that then cancel the meeting.
    I don't know if the room at Hunt Club Library is always open and reserved for our club, but we'd (TrekLord and myself) have no problem making it there if the room is open for us.
    If others are interested in going, we'll show up and we can share in some activity: Play an RPG, discuss a movie/book, or share ideas for making props and costumes, etc.
    I figure if the room is going to be available then why not use it-it'll give some us more opportunites to socialize with each other and share interests.
    My concern is that I might drive all that way unaware of a cancellation, find a few other people there and not even be able to use the room and have to come home.
    There is too much confusion as if or when meetings are held.

I'd like to see some of the new people make a meeting, particularly people in the UCF, Waterford areas who are interested in the club.

2. Cigam Retah

Cigam Retah Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 1999
    it's a good point. I'm currently in a brainstorming mode, trying to figure out what's best for the Fan Force. Let's use this thread as a springboard.

3. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    meet on saturdays

4. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    wait...maybe friday morning would be good...can we have a meeting in the orlando area...remember us ucf kids never leave the university area.. or at least downtown....gas is expensive

5. RebelCommando

RebelCommando Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    Well Ia Bou,
    That would be great for us, but some people may not appreciate it if they have to drive farther. Although I do sympathize as driving to Altimonte isn't exactly a short trip.

Do you have a place in mind where people could meet? Would it have to be Friday morning? I am sure most are at work during the morning unless they are self employed or also students.

You should contact Cigam Retah (Jeff) and inform him.

I'm just glad somebody posted.... seems like everybody has vanished and nobody posts.

Frank

6. Wolfgang_Treadwell

Wolfgang_Treadwell Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2001
    Friday morning?! Quite a few of us are long since out of school and have to schlep to work on Friday mornings, ya know. :)

Good idea, though, on setting up a default time and place and pre-reserving the space for the next umpteen months. That way when our Rep goes AWOL we can have fun without him. :)

Alternatively, a second banana could be assigned to ensure it all comes together on such occasions.

7. Sandy

Sandy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 16, 2002
    Orlando/UCF area is better for me (and presumably most of my associates on the coast). It takes less time to get there and doesn't require toll money. Kinda sucks for those on the West Side because they now have to pay the 408 or 417 tolls but that's cheaper than the 528 run that the rest of us were making (I think). The UCF crowd would have to do the same in reverse to go to the old place. This should be better for the Ft Lauderdale bunch as well.

I couldn't make anything on Mon-Fri. Sat is still the best for me. I can't believe its any more difficult or expensive for the UCF guys to get across the way than it is for the Lauderdale people or the coast dwellers.

Sandy

8. Delaya

Delaya Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2001
    I believe at the last meeting someone suggested a Library in Orlando. Anyone know which one it was?

9. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    The Ft. Lauderdale bunch is me and of the July meeting I will be part of the Orlando bunch. :)

10. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    I'm prett sure Friday meetings will be impossinle for me to make.

During the summer, my parents have to work, and sadly I don't have any siblings that can drive yet. And during the school year, well I have school.

Unless I could go up with family friends on Thursday, and get dropped off to the meetings, which I doubt would happen (even with a cane).

Saturday is still the best day for me.

11. Sandy

Jan 16, 2002
    Gita,

OOOOPS! Ok, the Jax bunch.

Sandy

12. LordGoldenArrow

LordGoldenArrow Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    Well, this is the last meeting I think I can attend for about 6 months. So I won't give an opinion. However, fact is we do have a lot of adults who show up regularly who do work a normal week schedule so doing it on a weekend is best.

Art

13. Wolfgang_Treadwell

Dec 10, 2001
    Actually it isn't closer for the Jax bunch but that's okay. After a 2-hour drive, a few more exits into town doesn't make much difference.

14. Sandy

Jan 16, 2002
    OK, I give up.

Sandy

15. Delaya

Oct 26, 2001
    Is anyone interested in picking up our meetings agian the 13th of July? That would have been our usual meeting date and it gives us a couple of weeks to find a new meeting place.

16. Wolfgang_Treadwell

Dec 10, 2001
    Sounds good to me.

17. Mayo_Solo

Aug 9, 2001
    July 13th is good for me. I'll be getting home from Italy on the 10th. That gives me a chance to rest before the meeting.

18. Sandy

Jan 16, 2002
    Good for me also.

Sandy

19. Delaya

Oct 26, 2001
    Alright then, July 13th it will be. :)
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a meeting place?

20. Mayo_Solo

Aug 9, 2001
    Uh...........

I'm not familiar with the Orlando area.

Ok, I go now to watch Shrek, and design my newest irish dance dress.

21. Delaya

Oct 26, 2001
    I love Shrek!!

22. Mayo_Solo

Aug 9, 2001
    hehe. My favorite part is when Robin Hood and the merry men do that dance scene, with the riverdance, and then the Britney Spears dance moves.

23. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Hey all! You're RSA is here to chime in. ;)

As the President and City Rep for Atlanta, I have had some experience in scheduling meetings. We meet the third Saturday of every month, unless there is a special event that causes us to reschedule. We do not have a permanent meeting location. I usually announce the location one week in advance.

Knowing what day your meetings will usually fall on really does help. Another thing you might want to consider: officers. As large of a group as this is, officers might really help to keep things organized and take some of the pressure of Cigam. Plus, if Cigam is "out" for any reason, one of the other officers can keep things afloat until he returns.

We in Atlanta elected officers last November. It has been a big relief to me to have other folks to help shoulder some of the duties.

What this group decides to do is up to all of you, of course. I'm just here to offer suggestions and help out in any way I can. :)

24. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    That is a good idea. We should discuss this at the July 13th meeting.

25. Mayo_Solo

Aug 9, 2001
    Didn't someone propose a while back that we have the meeting at a park or beach or something of the sort?

I agree with Gita. Electing officers sounds like a good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.