main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will we learn why the galaxy is so Human-centric?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Nov 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Will we learn why the galaxy is so Human-centric in TFA, or the sequel trilogy? What's the in-universe explanation?

Not only was the Empire all-human in the original trilogy, so was the Rebellion (until ROTJ, but it was still mostly-human). Nonhumans were mostly the underworld, and the underworld were mostly nonhumans. The PT is better on this, especially with the Jedi and Senate and Separatists, but humans still have the most attention. Valorum, Mace Windu, and other characters didn't have to be human yet were.

TFA, from what we've seen so far, seems to be returning to the OT in how human-centric it is. The stormtroopers are all at least humanoid, its officers are human.

More disappointingly, the shots we've seen of the Resistance are almost-all human, with a just a few alien characters (Ackbar, Nien Nunb, and one alien pilot are all I've noticed so far, plus Chewbacca). Like in the OT, the underworld are mostly nonhumans, and nonhumans are mostly in the underworld, it seems. No alien character as major as Luke/Anakin/Leia/Han/Padme/Obi-wan, just more side-characters.

From an in-universe perspective, why is this? Why is the galaxy so Human-centric? And will TFA and the sequels attempt to address it at all?

B99 likes this.
  2. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    We already did, its cheaper.

I think its just a simple case of there just being more humans than other type of life, perhaps they were the first species that space travelled which allowed their numbers to grow faster than anyone else..

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'm ok with it!

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That's an out-of-universe explanation. And CGI isn't expensive for moviemakers now.

Why are there more humans than other types of life, then? And why are both the Rebellion and the Resistance more human-centric than the Republic?

Humans being the first explorers could be part of that explanation. But not all of it. And will that explanation actually be given in the movies?

5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Earth-That-Was could no longer sustain our numbers; we were so many.

Eternal_Jedi and BloodStripe like this.
  6. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I seriously doubt there will be an in-universe explanation, but I'm really glad that the focus is solidly more on humans. It's fun having some background aliens, and a small handful of prominent ones, but I think it's really difficult to do them convincingly. If they're CGI, they don't age well and can look a bit cartoonish. If they're costumes or puppets, they look like costumes or puppets. So I'd rather they just do a small handful of really well-made aliens, rather than trying to overpopulate the film with tons of aliens that don't look so great.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  7. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It's a human story, aliens are on their own homeworlds with their own stories.

Don't think aliens do not have a part in fighting for the galaxy.

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    There is evidence of a lot of aliens at the Resistance base, actually. Ello Asty, Goss Toowers, Ackbar, Nunb, that hairy blue ground crew guy, another short, fat blue alien, a cone-headed alien of sorts, and another alien pilot with long, pointy ears. Looks to me like JJ liked that element of ROTJ, and has expanded on it.

That said, yeah, humans will always be playing the most prominent roles. Why? Because it's a human story. When aliens start integrating into our Earthling society more, we might get some alien-centric films. :)

9. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Because we humans are the most likely to start wars among ourselves!!

10. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    What about all the aliens we saw in the Senate chambers in the PT? Wasn't that enough for you?

There won't be an in universe explanation because there probably isn't a good one.

11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Here's a little dent in your thesis: A LOT of aliens in this cartoon depiction of the Resistance Base. On the top right panel, for example I count six different aliens, and ten humans.

[​IMG]

12. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Sidious, liked it that way.

13. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    Because we're humans.

14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Maybe Humans have shorter lives, faster breeding. We land on a planet and quickly expand to fill it up. Other races move at a slower pace, which was fine before space travel, but now its a problem.

15. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    An in-universe explanation is unnecessary exposition. Don't Trek out on us.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  16. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    So the human audience can easier connect with the films world. OT had it nailed down perfectly IMO. Never want to go too far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.