1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Speculation Will we possibly finally see the Whills?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' started by TheAvengerButton, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Darth Eddie Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm bringing this thread back from the dead to announce my desire to see Whills in Star Wars Episode IX and no sooner.

They're pretty much the most mysterious thing in the GFFA. They're so vague and conceptually amorphous that there has to be something behind them.
  2. darklordoftech Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Much bigger than the conflict between Jedi and Sith is the conflict between Whills and Wonts!
  3. Force Smuggler Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Maybe the Whills will bring back Anakin in the ST or help take Luke to the afterlife like Fantine did with Valjean in Les Miserables.
    Sean Sinclair likes this.
  4. Kyle Katarn Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The non-hardcore fan audience (which let's face it, is gonna be the bulk of the people seeing the movie) aren't going to have the foggiest idea who the hell the Whills are much less care who they are unless they are introduced as early on as being pivotal to the story. Since Episode 7 is likely to be a recap of the first six films AND have to get the story rolling for the next couple of films, I'm gonna say no, we won't see much of anything about the Whills or get any better explanation as to who they are and what makes their journal so darned special.
  5. darklordoftech Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The same non-hardcore fans who weren't familiar with Vader in 1976.
    Episode Swag and Darth Eddie like this.
  6. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    The Whills are a terribly stupid idea and shouldn't be in the movies or anything else.
  7. Kyle Katarn Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    And again, unless they're pivotal to the story, then they likely won't be seen or heard from again.
  8. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    They've never been heard from at all.
  9. Immortiss Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I heard from them yesterday.

Today...not so much.
    Last edited by Sean Sinclair, Jul 9, 2013
    FRAGWAGON likes this.
  10. darthfettus2015 Jedi Knight

star 3
    i think that was GL's original idea, why R2 is so important...a long time ago caption is R2telling the story millenia after, always been my view
  11. Lord Tuvitor Jedi Master

star 4
    I have in the past suspected that the Mortis storyline from TCW might have been related somehow to the Whills.
  12. Chancellor_Ewok Jedi Grand Master

star 6

Do you have a page reference for that? I don't remember the Whills being mentioned in the Ep.III novel at all.
    DarthBreezy likes this.
  13. Lord Tuvitor Jedi Master

star 4
  14. Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    He got in ONE LITTLE FIGHT and his Master got scared, and said "You're movin' in with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air!" [face_dancing]
    Last edited by Pfluegermeister, Jul 11, 2013
  15. FRAGWAGON Jedi Master

star 4
    It's intrigued me since reading the Prologue of Star Wars when I was a boy. "From the First Saga. Journal of the Whills". My guess is that self professed Star Wars Fan™ J.J. Abrams has never heard of it.
    Episode Swag likes this.
  16. Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight

star 4
    Same here. I've often thought it would be cool to hear more about the Whills, the First Saga, and the Son of Suns.
  17. Episode Swag Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think the concept of the Whills as being record keepers is a very intriguing and cool idea. However, I also think that if they are used in the plot a lot in the ST, then there is a huge risk that the story will be rather cheesy. Not to mention the fact that it would disconnect this trilogy from the others story wise. As it stands, the saga is about Darth Vader and his son Luke. Both trilogies are tied together as a cohesive story so brilliantly it's quite a feat in of itself. Bringing in the Whills or something similar runs on a different vein in the narrative when compared to the other movies. Continuity and flow is what's important here I think, and if handled wrong something like the Whills could ruin it.

Now they may be able to pull it off if they tried, but I think it would be stupid hard for them to do so. And if they did, you know George is gonna make another change to episodes 4 and 3 to put in the "missing dialogue" (aka Obi/Qui Gon/Yoda would have some added lines about the Whills.) And the purists would rage again. Well, actually that is disney's choice to change the old movies huh? Well, I guess they probably wouldn't change them, but still you know what I mean.
  18. InterestingLurker Jedi Master

star 4
    Perhaps we'll learn more about the Shamans of the Whills? Who else wants to be introduced to Force-user groups besides the Jedi and the Sith?
  19. DarthBreezy Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The Whills became the MIdiclorians (ala Starkiller became Skywalker, and Lizard Man became Han Solo) and we know how THAT turned out...
  20. darthfettus2015 Jedi Knight

star 3
    i think when people talk about the concept of the whills, i think the most important part is the journal, the narrator, the keeper, R2, well it is for me
  21. darklordoftech Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    not true. Rather, some components of them became The Force while other components of them remain G-Canon to this day.
  22. Bobatron Jedi Master

star 4
    I imagine if the Whills were brought into all this, it would come from a suggestion by J.J. Abrams, like maybe a brief mention or new race of people unnamed in the treatment ideas. "Okay how about if these beings mentioned here be called those Whills from the novelization...and perhaps they can look like..."
    I kind of want some of the unexplained stuff from that long ago to stay that way. Let us continue to ponder about the Whills.
  23. jedinightwing Jedi Master

star 4
    Wouldn't mind seeing some other force orders in film. Doesn't necessarily have to be the Whills
  24. TheManFromMortis Jedi Knight

star 3
    _ _ _ _

Yes, I've suspected this. As my username might suggest, I was a big fan of the Mortis arc.
    Pfluegermeister likes this.
  25. Sistros Jedi Master

star 6
    The Whills became the MIdiclorians (ala Starkiller became Skywalker, and Lizard Man became Han Solo) and we know how THAT turned out...
    -------------

this.

That said the whills (to me) are something that is good for Fanfic or something used a "Jedi Mythology" but does it belong in a film? I don't see how it should to be honest, unless it turns out the whills are inter dimensional aliens bent on destruction,

oh wait...