main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will we see any lightsaber advancements?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by spacename_the_name, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    This still seems like the most plausible approach....

2. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But that would be plagerism!

4. kwisatzh

kwisatzh Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2014
    im no crotch face, whats the matter with you?

[​IMG]

5. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Triple or more bladed lightsaber guys. Basically a lightsaber handheld fan. You heard it from me first...

6. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Doesn't Maul have one of those on a Lego cartoon? :p

7. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Like I said, if the Electrostaff can resist lightsabers, I don't see why a guard on a lightsaber hilt couldn't be designed for the same purpose. Just give it the same properties only for defense purposes.

8. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    Not against new lightsabers, but that's one of the few designs in Star Wars that I don't think will ever get boring if you left them alone. And probably the easiest thing to make goofy.

TooMuchBBQ, Jcuk and Sarge like this.
  9. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I´m cautious on this front two. Nothing against the concepts introduced in the PT (two blades, curved hilt, one saber on each hand), but the Inquisitor saber is bordering ridiculous IMO. The medieval like hilt, I asume trying to make a reference to the rellics the villain seems to be after, makes very little sense.

10. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    What is wrong with the Inquistitor's lightsabre?

11. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    A lightsaber that you just hold it and does circles? Terrible idea IMO. I even thought it was going against the lightsaber internal construction that we all know.

12. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    It just occured to me that Vader (and I guess Sidious) is the only one with a "normal" lightsaber. Maul, Dooku, Asajj, and Inquisitor all have gimmicky/unique sabers. Going through the timeline, Vader seems like a step back in comparison by having a "normal" one.

I was thinking the same thing...with the spinny thing, it doesn't make much sense that a saber requires the beam to be focused through a crystal. All that stuff is in the handle, but if the emitter spins around, where is the blade coming from?

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  13. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I don't know about designs, but I would like to see lightsabres put to other uses besides combat.

More cutting through blast doors like in TPM. And using lightsabres as a climbing tool.

I also what to a daytime duel in a real location, a zero gravity duel, underwater duel and a mountain bike for Christmas. ;)

Scummy_and_Villainous likes this.
  14. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Very much agree on both points. It seems like now every new villain has to feature a new, never seen before kind of saber. The problem is, as they explore new ideas, every newone is more and more difficult to justify.

Rookhelm and DARTH_BELO like this.
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Apart from the potential differences we've heard about already, it sometimes sounds to me like they think they ARE trying to re-release the OT in tone and form.

Like I said, I'd be okay with different colors, or double bladed light sabers. But nothing drastic. and everything in moderation.

Now that I have seen the rebels episode "rise of the old masters", we have now seen how the inquisitors light saber works – and I literally laughed when I saw it twirl around that circle!! I was like "seriously?"

That is a perfect example of what was mentioned before here – just lazy and gimmicky enhancements for the sake of it. I really hope we don't see anything drastically gimmicky like that episode VII...

If the story is good, the characters are strong, and the action scenes are well thought out and it's not just mindless explosions, there's no need to do little things like change the lightsabers.

I agree that based on his past work, JJ Abrams seems to be all about the fan service, and I am fully expecting plenty of it I in SW. that's fine I suppose-As long as it serves the story. However, something like this doesn't seem like fan service, but rather: disservice…

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  16. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Darth_Bertie

This is only the second lightsabre that is different to the "standard" lightsabres.*

Two lightsabres out of seven villains can't in anyway be classed like that.

And clearly, there must be no "difficulty in justifying it" because it happens, just like Plo Koon's space walk.

* I'm counting the darksabre as a standard design since it is just an older model but essentially the same. Open to being corrected on that though.

17. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    DARTH_BELO I agree on everything. Right now we are happy to see more SW movies. But lost masters, found sabers, superweapons, desertic planets... It better work, because if it does not, the criticism is gonna be even bigger than the PT one.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  18. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014
    I consider a dark saber just as gimmicky as a twirly one. But that's just me...i've always disliked the idea of a "black" blade...some people love it though

Also, did anyone notice that lightsaber "forms" are now canon? They were invented around the time ep 1 came out, so I don't know if they were considered canon or not, considering they were never discussed in a SW movie, so I guess they weren't technically.

Were forms in TCW?

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  19. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
  20. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005

Knowing a little bit about swords and leverage and all that, this lightsaber would be ineffective for a few reasons. The main part being is that you couldn't two hand it.

21. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014

Holy cow, those are terrible. The Ax isn't TOO bad, but it's functionally no different from a lightsaber with a long handle. Why even have the "ax head" out front like that anyway?

TooMuchBBQ, DARTH_BELO and Sarge like this.
  22. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    This is Star Wars we're talking about. Since when has practical functionality been more important than looking cool in any Star Wars tech?

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I really don't like the "cross-guard saber." Maybe I could be persuaded if someone used it in a really cool way in combat (like shutting off the main blade and punching with the foremost "cross-guard blade" active, maybe?) but I'm pretty sure that image is fake anyways, just IMO.

24. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Yep, totally agree with that. Maul's was cool, but the fact as an actual character he was about as interesting as a fart, made his sabre an empty gimmick IMO. Call me a traditionalist, but I'd prefer they just stick with the notion of them being an 'elegant' weapon. Not a flashy one for flashes sake.

25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Maul's saber is tame compared to the Inquisitor's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.