main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will we see any lightsaber advancements?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by spacename_the_name, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    All of this talk reminds of when people thought Dooku's lightsaber blade was curved instead of just the hilt before we saw the actual lightsaber itself. But that was probably more because of a miscommunication than anything else.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    Darksaber like the one Maul had on Mandalore in TCW, please!

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  3. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    I agree with you agreeing with me.

But seriously, the thing about the lightsaber is that the weapon itself didn't seem to matter much, it was the person wielding it and the Force. It was an elegant weapon as you (and Obi-Wan) pointed out; a nice mix of classic and futuristic. I thought even Darth Maul's lightsaber was still somewhat in line with the spirit of the classic lightsaber and there's an argument for its practicality and elegance. In fact the first time I saw it, my immediate reaction was that it looked great and made sense for his needs. Basically everyone in our barracks back then thought the same thing.

This one, not so much. It's a subjective thing of course and some will like it. I think it looks like a lightsaber with a couple butt plugs attached.

[​IMG]

4. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    It's not nearly as bad as lightwhips and light slingshots though. We're talking a minor design quibble here nothing major. If they are using it and it's not a distraction then no harm done. If three full blades shoot out of it that's a facemelter.

And wrt the darksaber lots of people like that, it looks weird to me. I photoshopped that idea years ago with a normal saber and it didn't look right to me then either. Color goes a long way in making lightsabers look good. Again, personal taste.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    If the Big Bad is wielding a lightsabre that emits mini-blades from the hilt, then the the Big Bad is wielding a lightsabre that emits mini-blades from the hilt.

It will be awesome and he will be a badass, because the can wield a lightsabre that emits mini-blades from the hilt.

If the Big Bad is in not wielding a lightsabre that emits mini-blades from the hilt, then the the Big Bad is not wielding a lightsabre that emits mini-blades from the hilt.

It will look awesome in a different way and he will still be a badass, just not bass enough to wield a lightsabre that emits mini-blades from the hilt, but he will be able to do some other awesome badass thing.

Personally, I can't wait until the movies finally use this type of lightsabre design...

[​IMG]

jedinightwing likes this.
  6. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    So you want the saber hilt to be growing out of his hand?

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  7. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, and with the blade already ignited in his arm - to extend the blade, the Jedi has to push with his other hand, just like on the action figure.

And they have to get rid of the sound effect too. It is very unrealistic.

The actors should be allowed to make the noises themselves.

:p

EviL_eLF likes this.
  8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Just a note, but Ezra's slingshot is more electrical like the effects on Magna-Guards' staffs than it is like a lightsaber.

9. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    It's Cyber-Luke after all.

EviL_eLF and Hoggsquattle like this.
  10. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    It looks like the end of the lightsabre blade is slowly deflating. When the power cell in the hilt gets really low, does the blade just droop over I wonder? :D

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

It can happen to the best of men. :p

DarthIshyZ and CairnsTony like this.
  12. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    This is Star Wars we're talking about. Since when has practical functionality been more important than looking cool in any Star Wars tech?[/quote]

I don't understand the complaints - it is freaking awesome :)

EviL_eLF and CairnsTony like this.
  13. Darth_Navarre

Darth_Navarre Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 15, 2014
    I have one simple request, and that is to have SHARKS WTIH FRICKIN' LIGHTSABERS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS!! ;)

Alternatively, though, let's bring out all the crazy suggestions I've heard (some serious, some not so serious) about alternative lightsaber types back when the prequel trilogy was coming out...

Lightwhips
    Lightnunchucks
    Lightschimitars
    Lightdaggers
    Lightbowsandarrows
    Lightscythes
    Lightsais

...and so on :rolleyes:

14. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    What in the world are the mini-blades even for? They don't look good, they serve no purpose in battle, and they just make the weapon harder to wield. If they are there for some convoluted injury to one of the heroes, that is even worse. I hope that design never comes to pass. Rebels can keep the bad saber ideas.

15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
  16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    A short blade is usually easier to handle, especially for a dual blade user.

17. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm no fuddy duddy. I like all sort of lightsabers and whips and chains. Let the imagination go wild, IMO. Lightsabers themselves are absurd, but that's why they're so cool.

Darth Phobos likes this.
  18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 and rumsmuggler like this.
  19. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I really don`t want them to go over the top with lightsabers. The inquisitor`s lightsaber-propeller is a step too far for my taste.

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  20. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Filoni gives a good reason for it.

21. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    lightbeer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dra--- likes this.
  22. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    New lightsaber designs - coming soon to your galaxy (or not):

LightMace - like a saber with a spherical blade.

Spiked LightMace - a hilt with a spherical end that emits lots of little saber-spikes. Both types of mace can also be adapted into flails with the addition of a chain between the head and the hilt.

FlareSaber - like a normal saber but it has a button that temporarily turns off the cohesion of the blade, making it flare up like a flaming torch - perfect for close range attacks.

RingSaber - like Maul's saber but instead of two blades, it has one that curves round into a ring - so it'd be like fighting with a hula-hoop.

ScreenSaber - like Maul's but with a flat screen that is emitted along the length of the hilt, meaning you can use it as a shield and like a massive axe.

KruegerSaber - like Freddy's glove...with saber fingers.

GunSaber - you can fire the blade.

SaberShoes - Rosa Klebb style.

SkipSaber - like a two handled lightwhip that you can use like a skipping rope.

GhostSaber - the blade is invisible making it harder for your opponent to block, especially if you have a double bladed version and continually switch the blades on and off - they never know whether to block or not.

KaleidoSaber - dazzles your opponent with a riot of different colours and patterns.

SaberBall - has a hilt that produces a sphere of light that actually envelops the hilt, and the wielder then controls it by using the Force, making it float in the air to block and attack.

(Please note that all sabers are used at the owner's risk. The manufacturers accept no responsibility for injuries caused by the massive impracticalities of said sabers, or for embarrassment caused because of how ridiculous they are.)

Sarge and Dra--- like this.
  23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
  24. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
  25. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    The impracticality of a weapon in a Galaxy Far Far Away?

Okay.

EviL_eLF likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.