main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will we see any lightsaber advancements?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by spacename_the_name, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    I like the idea of a lightsaber with a guard on the hilt. It feels medieval and if I have one major problem with the prequels world it's that they took more elements from the Classical era than they did from the middle ages. I can see why they did it of course, but without the fun of lone knights out preserving justice in a lawless galaxy Jedi became pretty boring. So anything that sees more medieval influences brought in is good with me.

There is some logic to having guards just above the hand. It prevents your opponent from simply striking you in the hand. And since metal doesn't block lightsabers there's some logic to having the guard be made out of lightsabers. That said, there is quite an obvious reason why the guard is not usually sharp. No sense blocking a blow to your wrist if it just makes you cut your own hand off instead. And I agree it looks lame in the concept art. The elegance of the lightsaber comes from its elegant single blade. Having additional ones hanging off the side just distracts from the appearance. Hopefully this is just early concept art and the design looks better in practice or is just a regular metal guard.

EviL_eLF and Dra--- like this.
  2. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    I completely understand the idea of a guard. But the problem is the guard shown in the concept art would not work without the assistance of the opponent.

There are plenty of problems with the lightsabers in the films so far. Ridiculous grip placement, activation switches, boxes and other things where the user grips the saber, a very long distance between the emitter and where you grip, which is not good for dueling, etc. I am hoping for some cleaning up of these problems this time around, not add new ones.

3. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I hope not. It's only been 30 years since the OT and there's no reason to think light sabers will have advanced in this time period especially since they're not used that often.

If there are radical new designs, it would seem too artificial. As if this was dreamed up in the writing process as being "cool" but not organic to the universe.

4. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    Agreed. Maul's double saber was a logical extension of the design but the Inquisitor's spinning lightsaber was unnecessary and is only cool because the Inquisitor is badass and genuinely needs to have an advantage over the Jedi he's supposed to be hunting. I'm not utterly against the idea of handle guards because I like the idea of treating the blades more like a broadsword, but they need to be careful how they handle it. I particularly like the suggestion that this guy is like a relic of the past, which would explain why he has a more outdated seeming lightsaber design.

5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Filoni says the Inquisitor needs a fancy blade because he's not as good as Maul. So there's a good reason behind the tech.

It's not much different than Grievous. These guys need tech to help raise their game.

6. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Grieves and Inky both love spinning lightsabers.

7. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    Well you would hope then the Inquisitor's saber wouldn't be a disadvantage in combat.

8. Darth_Navarre

Darth_Navarre Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 15, 2014
    Just in regards to general lightsaber combat, would it not be a smart move to, say, feign an attack on your opponent (e.g. slicing straight down towards their head), then as they raise their blade to parry your downward chop, you quickly switch off your lightsaber blade, duck down low, thrust your hands forward, and re-ignite your blade, which then travels straight through your opponent's torso...

:)

9. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    They are detachable, and are used specifically for slicing bread and toasting it at the same time!

[​IMG]

10. Chewbaccon

Chewbaccon Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2014

Egg-zack-lee! I really do not like the medieval hilt thing. The more radical changes there are, the more we get away from the heart/spirit of the universe. Star Wars should be confident and comfortable with itself, not trying too hard to please every possible cool design aesthetic.

A nuanced evolution is legit and necessary ...but the light sabers are becoming (or may be) becoming so diverse it may get to the point where one asks...why not just make a "light shield and that also shoots out light blasts." Everything is context so I'll try not to be tooo judgemental (assuming that the hilt is really in the movie) but that was one of the first art pieces that made me wince.

dolphin likes this.
  11. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

brb, writing ep 8

12. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    are these Episode VII lightsabers???[face_laugh]:p
    [​IMG]

13. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

Exactly! I long for the OT where one could go their entire life and never have seen a lightsaber. I like it when they're rare and unchanged over the centuries.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I know some one probably already brought this up but how about they have now advanced to Slicing Cheese[face_laugh]

EviL_eLF likes this.
  15. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    Looking at some of the new Rebels interviews, the Inquisitor's lightsaber makes sense. It's intentionally like that, made more for doing all the flashy **** from the PT without any of the skill and practice that goes into that. It works great against inexperienced Padawan and out of shape Jedi fighting against hundreds of other Stormtroopers, but chances are that it probably wouldn't work against an actually experienced Jedi or Sith.

...but I still can't find a justification for blaster saber. It just looks so idiotic and unwieldy.

16. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Wouldn't that be turning the cheese into cheese dip as you slice it? ;)

17. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    Seriously, guys. Just use your mind to evenly separate the molecules. Save the lightsaber for fighting. It's not a toy. :p

Sarge and EviL_eLF like this.
  18. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    i guarantee well see a flamesaber in one of the spin offs.
    boba fett spin off will have a darksaber.

by then we'll be like; please stop with the spinoffs.
    and theyll say it like colonel sanders in spaceballs: we cant stop its too dangerous

19. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

Phantom Menace: *fly buzzes in backgroun* WHAT WAS THAT NOISE *ignites saber*

20. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    Ha Ha Ha Very Funny.
    prequel haters....

21. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Stick with the basics. The basic lightsaber is awesome enough as is, period. The standard sword is the way it is because it's the simplest to use. It's practical. Multiple blades and fancy hilts are not.

22. Darth Maaliss

Darth Maaliss Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2014
    Shotos, Lightwhips and LightClubs, Longhandled, Dual Sabre and Standard. They are all of the syles that I'd love to see.

Plus, the more lightsabre combat there is the better. PT was saved by the amount of lightsabre combat it had.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I wonder if there would be any plausible manner in which they could ever do weapons with broader blades such as butterfly swords.

24. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh well in that case, I want to see a retractable energy blade version of Cloud's Buster Sword.

Darth Maaliss likes this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That would be wild.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.