main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will we see the return of McCarthyism?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by The Gatherer, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    Ok...I agree, let's not blame people for what their ancestors did.

But how about we start holding to account those people today who are carrying out nefarious acts. Perhaps once we do this first step, we can research the cause of the violence and hate, and maybe we can eliminate it.

By the way, I use past events and past transgressions to further my point about the present. Afterall, if you can't learn from history, then there is no point in learning at all.

2. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    And if you want to talk about historical wrong doings, you might as well execute the enitire human race. Sure, some Muslims invaded India back in the day, and before that, the Aryans displaced the other peoples in India.

JB: Let's suppose that you were right and blowing up buildings is characteristic of what it means to be Muslim.

How do we show the world what it means to be a Hindu? By becoming like those few extremists who have wronged us and betrayed their own kind?

If you want to know what I have endured... try locking yourself in a white room for 24 hours and screaming at the walls until you cannot scream anymore. In the end, what is left? Silence.

If that is the end result of thousands of years of hatred... then why not skip the bloodshed and go straight to the silence? After millions more are wronged, persecuted, killed, and the screaming stops... after all, there will be only silence anyway. If I have any choice in the matter, I prefer to be silent with a clear conscience.

Your "enemy" cannot use against you that which you do not give them... so extinguish your anger, and find other ways to prevent new "aggressors" from being created... by bridging the gap between Hindu and Muslim.

We all are born, we all die... that is life. I would rather I spent the hours, days, years in between creating something instead of destroying.

The forces of creation and destruction will never go away in this world... and they will always balance each other out in the end. That is what Hinduism teaches... if you choose to accept any of its philosophy, you know this already. You cannot control what other people are going to do... What you must do is focus on your duties and obligations. Do your part... otherwise then surely things will fall out of balance, for you and everyone else. Maintain your focus on what you can control... your actions and thoughts.

Hinduism also teaches us to be true to our own nature. You on one hand want to vindicate the lives that were destroyed, but in turn you are willing to destroy other things... including liberty?

But how about we start holding to account those people today who are carrying out nefarious acts. Perhaps once we do this first step, we can research the cause of the violence and hate, and maybe we can eliminate it.

Not that we shouldn't hold people accountable for their actions, but what does this to do prevent violence? All you're doing is investigating violence that has already occurred. So then you jail or execute some people... then what?

Maybe where you ought to put your energy is into, as I said, bridging the gap with the new generation. People as they get older are stubborn, and harder to change... but if we work to change these perceptions in the early stages of childhood... that is how you combat hatred... by preventing that seed from ever being planted in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.