main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will you avoid watching footage of the new cast?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jonipoon, May 5, 2014.

?

Will you avoid watching footage of the new cast?

1. Yeah, it will make the film experience better

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. I want, but I can't keep myself from watching footage

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. No, I want to see how they act before I see the film

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  4. I don't really care, I'll just go watch the movie

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    To make my own Episode VII experience as fresh and surprising as possible, I have already decided not to watch or listen to any footage of the new cast until the first trailer for the film is released.

There are some whom I've already seen before, and there's nothing I can do to change that. I've already seen other movies with Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson and Max von Sydow, so I know how they move and sound like. As for the other new cast members, I've only seen still pictures. That's it. And I'm not going to watch "Attack of the block" or anything else just to get a glimpse of what John Boyega might act like in Episode VII.

Why am I doing this? Because I believe it will be a better experience. If I do it this way, these new actors will ONLY be Star Wars characters for me. And that's the way I want it, the same way I feel with the older cast. I don't want to look at them in Episode VII and feel "Oh, it's that guy".... When I see Episode VII for the first time, I want it to be my very first impression of these actors.

Do you agree with me? Will you do the same thing?

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm in a spoiler forum for Episode 7. I'll spoil myself to hell and back. Seeing them in other movies not related to Star Wars is the least of my sins as far as this movie is concerned.

Still, I have to admit that I don't really care to go and seek out their roles on purpose, because I believe that is not really a fair way to make any sort of judgement. If they got stuck with a crappy script or an inept director, that can give a wrong impression of an otherwise quite fine actor. So if I see it along the way, fine. If not, don't really care enough to look it up.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I've already looked at a bunch of footage of the new actors so I guess that would be a no for me. I can't help it they're all just so interesting to me that I just have to get a glimpse of previous performances. I'm also just interested to see what they can bring to the saga

Dewback likes this.
  4. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I remember being on this site and having lines spoiled from ROTS. The part where Anakin says to Obiwan "i do not fear the Darkside as you do."
    I knew about that months before release. Heck the whole final duel was practically ruined for me. At least the dialog of that scene anyway.
    I even found out that Anakin force chokes Padme. It's hard to avoid spoilers but i just can't stop myself sometimes.
    Then again we are on the spoilers allowed thread. Guess we must want to be spoiled or simply can't resist the temptation.

5. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    I've already seen all of these newbs in other things. So... I guess this poll doesn't apply to me.

6. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    You're right. Perhaps I'll have to stop visiting this forum when the time is ready...

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

As The Hellhammer suggested, this is a spoiler forum. You may want to stay in 7NSA and avoid some of the community threads because many times spoilers get carried over into them.

8. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Other than Daisy, I had already seen each of these actors in at least one thing. It's too... late... for me.

BigAl6ft6 and Dewback like this.
  9. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I saw John Boyega in Attack the Block after the announcement - and I didn't have this problem at all. I was too absorbed by the movie.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I was a big fan of Trainspotting way before Ewan McGregor was cast as Obi-Wan. That film and his performance had no impact on his involvement in the Prequels. Same with any actor and any film. They're actors, that's what they do!

LunarMoth and my kind of scum like this.
  11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    That time was six tomorrow's ago

12. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I will watch everything that comes out, but not because I need to see how they do. I am a spoiler junkie. My veins are ready.

13. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I remember seeking out and watching Life as a House before Episode II and it only got me more excited to see Hayden in that movie. Sure he was awkward at times, but I still like him as Anakin and I'm glad I got to see him beforehand. I probably won't go out of my way to seek out things that the Episode VII actors have been in though. I did check out Netflix streaming and didn't see much. I saw Attack the Block once, but it was a while back, and I'm guessing Boyega's character was quite different from what he'll be playing in this anyway. I've seen a few clips of Ridley, and I guess at some point I might put in a Blu-ray of HP or True Grit to check out this Gleeson dude again, but overall I'm not too bothered either way.

TheBBP likes this.
  14. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    You should watch Attack to Block because is very good & Boyega was younger then & his character is although action oriented will be a lot different to what he will be like in EP7......

15. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    I've already seen some of the new cast in stuff already (like Gleeson in Harry Potter and Boyega in Attack the Block), but I don't care to seek out any footage of them. I'll also not watch any trailers before seeing the movie.

16. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Don't mean to be rude, but... why are you in the spoiler forum?

17. Death_Jar_Jar

Apr 30, 2014

Because it's active and there aren't any spoilers yet.

LunarMoth and Dewback like this.
  18. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Fair enough, but we're right on the threshold, and some of the current rumors are edging dangerously close to spoiler territory. What happens if you run into something you don't want to see?

19. Death_Jar_Jar

Apr 30, 2014
    Lol I'm sure I'll be fine. Not scared of accidentally coming across spoilers or anything, but once more official information is released like who the new cast is playing, I'd prefer to get out of here. I'd rather post here for potentially a while and run into a spoiler than not post at all.

Dewback and Mystery Roach like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well I'm pretty damn skippy the first time any of us are gonna Daisy Ridley is in episode 7, I've seen multiple films with every other actor (and Boyega's in 24 this season!). So, yes, I will remain "pure" on Ridley's performance until Episode 7. Unless she gets cast in something post filming Star Wars. Knowing how Hollywood works, that is not entirely unlikely.

21. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    No, I want to see how they act before I see the film

I am one of these people NEVER believed in the foolish notion that actors are typecast anyway.

I think it's silly from viewer's POV, that they won't open their minds/horizon that actors can play more than one role, similar or not.

It's why I can sympathize with Hayden Christensen, Jake Lloyd, and the actor played Joffery (Jack Gleeson) on Game of Thrones, audiences can have silly ideas to typecast them even if that's not what they want you to do.

I watch actors for their talents, NOT who else they played that's popular. It's NOT what acting is about.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I think the existence of THIS thread in a SPOILER forum is the answer we are all in consensus with. As such, I'm gonna lock this so it doesn't turn into an "In B4 Teh Lock" beatdown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.