main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will You Be Disappointed If EP 3 isnt Better than TPM and AOTC?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by dahveed72, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    "...best movie of the trilogy by default."

I agree with Dan. In fact, I will go out on a limb and say best movie of the saga by default. This is the movie many of us have been waiting for since 1977.

Lucas would have to try awfully hard to screw this up in any significant way.

Whether you liked TPM & AOTC or not, they way GL has set up Ep. III calls for an epic finale.

And I think that most will view Star Wars as the entire saga more than individual movies; prequels & sequels.

2. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    quote:

And I think that most will view Star Wars as the entire saga more than individual movies; prequels & sequels.

someday, perhaps. and its a given that Lucas will tinker even more with the movies in an attempt to homogenize them.

the fact is that the OT, particularly ANH and ESB, were movies made in a different time by different people with different tools. as currently constituted, these movies will never completely jive with the PT movies. nor should they.

why is it so desperately important to anyone that they do?

3. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    actually no. i will be psyched!

i so hope ep III is the second best of the PT!
    no better...no worse.

4. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    I would be extremely disappointed if Episode III is no better than TPM. I'd be satisfied (but not overjoyed) if it was as good as AOTC. I'm holding out hope for Episode III. As many have pointed out, all the right elements are there. But...

I feel TPM created problems for Episode III. By spending so much screentime focusing on elements and characters of relatively minor importance, a lot of valuable opportunities were wasted. More effort should have been made to develop Anakin's and Obi-Wan's characters. Instead, the two most important characters in the saga were left to languish in favor of Qui-Gon (a good character, but of far lesser signifigance than Obi-Wan), Jar-Jar and a twenty minute sequence of vehicles driving around in circles really fast. The problems this creates have already manifested themselves to some degree. Obi-Wan and Anakin are very different people in AOTC, but how did they get that way? Unfortunately, all of the important character developement occurred off-screen.

I fear this effect will carry over into Episode III, where a radical shift in Obi-Wan's and Anakin's relationship needs to occur. By leaving so much ground uncovered in TPM, the danger is that the crucial points that Episode III needs to deal with will either once again take place offscreen, or will be so rushed as to lose a great deal of impact.

In short, Episode III has it's work cut out for it. There's a lot of ground to cover, and very little time to do it in. I hope they can pull it off.

5. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Let's just wait and see:

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, at last we will have revenge!"

6. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    "the fact is that the OT, particularly ANH and ESB, were movies made in a different time by different people with different tools. as currently constituted, these movies will never completely jive with the PT movies. nor should they."

I agree. For me, the movies will always be two seperate trilogies that complement each other. There's a 16 year gap between the movies that's too hard to overcome. Not that it makes one trilogy better than the other, but it's there. And no matter how much Lucas tinkers with the OT, those films are still never going to be on par with the effects of the PT.

But they're classics, and they'll always have a place in cinematic history. Lucas should just let them age with diginity.

And let's be honest about this whole "one big 12 hour movie" thing - not counting the novelty of watching them one time all together when the whole set is released in 2005 or whenever - how often in the future is anyone really going to sit down and watch the whole set at once?

7. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    To talk about a 12-hour marathon viewing of all the films is taking the "One Saga" concept a bit too literally.

In reality, there are three categories of SW movies:

1)ANH = the "original", made as a stand-alone movie, taken from the middle of the saga, GL didn't know if he'd get a chance to do any more. And he didn't have a great deal of it "fleshed out" yet.

2)ESB & ROTJ = the "sequels", made with the knowledge that GL could pretty much take the saga as far as he wanted.

3)TPM, AOTC & E3 = the "prequels", with the great advances in effects, etc.

8. dahveed72

Mar 11, 2002
    great post AgentCoop!! I more or less concur, although i was less satisfied with AOTC than you.

9. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Isn't that an understatement, dahveed72?

10. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    I have little expectations for III. I find it is the best way to be then when the film actually comes out I might be pleasantly surprised.

11. R2-D69

R2-D69 Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2002
    I too have low expectations for Episode III, but maybe that is a good thing. Being a massive fan of the OT, I found the PT to be almost insulting on how corny it all is. I forgot that Star Wars movies are made for kids in mind, and I wish I could view this new trilogy with the same eyes I viewed the old trilogy with way back in the day. Im unsure though, if thats even the problem. Being 24 years old, I can still watch the original trilogy to this day, and be in awe on how awesome each movie is, yet, one viewing of the new movies results in me covering my face in shame and disbelief dozens of times. The whole use of the corny trade federation droids along with Jar Jar Binks made Episode 1, to me, the worst Star Wars movie possible. Darth Maul was the redeeming factor for that one. Episode II was definitely a big step up, however I really didnt dig the use of all that CGI. Another smack in the face was the totally unbelievable love story, cmon there... I dont think anyone above the age of 18 could believe in something like that, I remember the whole theatre bursting out in laughter during alot of the love scenes. Not to mention the clone wars turn out to contain more trade federation battle droids... Jango Fett and the Yoda fight were the good parts for that flick, and even the Yoda fight didnt seem to contain the grace that the previous movie battles contained.For Episode III, GL needs to cut out alot of the CGI, and focus on the drama and acting. Give us more of the hard hitting "luke/vader at the ending of ESB and ROTJ" scenes... real drama, not some whining teenager moping about some tusken raiders he just killed to his girlfriend. If this new episode contains the same dreary, monotonous, wooden acting of the first two movies, I will totally disown this trilogy, so far, I dont even consider these new movies anywhere close to the original trilogy, and I wont until GL gives me a well acted epic like the first trilogy.

12. dahveed72

Mar 11, 2002
    great post R2. well articulated.

13. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I've seen very few bashers that actually deserve my attention, and sadly dahveed is not one of them. Anyways, what was I saying? Ah, yes, it'll be hard to think of the movies as one story, and not six movies as part of one story.

Why? Not because any are bad or don't mix, but because they are six movies, very rarely will we actually watch them all in a row at one time, so we'll only see installments and (for me at least), it's harder to see the bigger picture when only watching one little bit.

14. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    "I've seen very few bashers that actually deserve my attention,"

Utterly charming. [face_plain]

Then again, you won't read that. I'm surely beneath your notice. Who are you again?

15. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    [face_laugh] I wasn't saying I was important or popular. But seriously, most bashers (including you, Coop, but you're not as bad), come up with some asinine things and don't even bother backing them up.

And :eek: I'm not a gusher!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.