main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will you be reading or looking at reviews/ratings of TFA before you see it?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Fruit Pastilles, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    I definitely won't read full reviews, and I probably won't look at ratings on RT and IMDb until after I see the movie. I'd rather not go into the film with an idea of whether it'll be another ESB or AOTC. What will you be doing?

Also, what ratings do you predict it'll get on RT and IMDb?

2. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I'll definitely read them. I'm actually really looking forward to it, regardless if it gets good or bad ones.

3. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Nope. I don't read any reviews of movies I want to see before I see them.
    We already know what the reviews will be anyway--bashing just to bash by those who want it to fail; Abrams-haters, Disney-haters, Lucas-love/haters, people still going on about lens flares and long obsolete Disney cliches-- but we don't know how the stupid media will play it. Will they latch onto the EU fans and only focus on their steadfast opposition to the movie not following "canon" with trending Facebook headlines like "Star Wars die hard fans reject Disney Reboot." Will they focus on box office to inject assumptions in the hoi polloi that the movie isn't worth seeing, with stuff like "New Star Wars underperforms" if it doesn't have an opening weekend or second weekend gross greater than The Avengers or Mockingjay.

Kiki-Gonn and Darth_Pevra like this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I won't - I almost never do, honestly. Reviews nowadays mostly seem to consist of a brief re-telling of the plot (not seldom with huge spoilers) and a declaration of "like" or "do not like", without anything to back it up.

5. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I forgot my question mark.

6. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    No, out of fear of being spoiled. Afterwards I'll probably read a couple and see the average rating out of curiosity. I don't expect I'll have the same opinion as most critics.

7. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    I agree with you guys' points.

What do you think the ratings will be? I know it's harder as some of you know nothing about the film, but I think the guys behind this film are much more capable of putting out a great movie than any of the prequels' were.

8. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Well I think TFA will be rated 8/10 by critics. However I predict I'll rate it 3/10. I actually don't have much confidence in JJ, although knowing that Kasdan writes the script gives me some hope. We shall see, we shall see...

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Nope. Only really care what I think though I might look reviews up on here if I didn't see the movie at midnight.

10. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    So many reviews tend to be about the reviewer as opposed to the actual film. There are few things as annoying as a critic that is more interested in appearing clever than actually discussing the artistic, technical or social merits of a work.

No, I wont be reading any reviews before seeing the film.

11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    While I won't be reading reviews in trades and newspapers, I am very much looking forward to the reviews here, and reading what everyone else here thinks about the movies after I've seen it too :)

12. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  13. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I might look at the early RT ratings or a few "headlines" from top RT critics just to get a sense of how it's being received. Not that I always agree with the majority "top" critics, but if it's getting lots of tomato splats, I will probably try to further lower my expectations a bit...not that my expectations are that high to begin with (though curiously, I believe when it comes time to see it, I will still be fairly excited despite my lowered expectations).

Edit: I can't make any predictions about what the ratings will be. I have heard some rumors/spoilers, but I still feel like it's impossible to predict.

Edit: And my expectations have been somewhat lowered/qualified from the very beginning (they are not based on any rumor/spoiler I've heard.)

14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Nope. Why would I do that?

Afterward? Yes.

As far as overall critical consensus? If it can pull off what ROTS did, which is sitting at 80% on RT and was even higher the year the film came out, that would great.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  15. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Before seeing ROTS, the closest thing I got to a 'review' was from Robin Quivers of the Howard Stern show, and she was positively gushing about how good it was.

As for reviews and such regarding The Force Awakens? After I see the movie, sure I'll read 'em. It's a Star Wars movie, we're not talking high drama like The Godfather or Schindler's List here. I enjoyed the prequels for what they were, even though the first two weren't that great in retrospect. JJ Abrams knows what Star Wars fans want, and I'm sure he'll deliver the goods!

jaqen likes this.
  16. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    I will look at the RT % rating, and nothing else.

overall critical consensus? As long as it's a well-made movie, then I'm pretty sure the RT critic consensus will be something like "In this Seventh chapter of the Geroge Lucas' saga, director JJ Abrams puts the fun back in Star Wars with The Force Awakens."

There are critics who hate every movie that is popular and only like 4 hour long, boring, thought provoking films that explore "human emotions, and tendencies." They'll give the movie bad reviews no matter what.

But the movies worst critics will be the EU/George Lucas fans who will literally tear and rip every aspect of the film apart (they've already started doing so, even though it's not already out), saying things like "it doesn't feel like star wars."

Darth_Pevra and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  17. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I never read reviews of any movies before I see it. I only watch trailers - I want to go in with no preconceptions other than that, to form an opinion entirely my own.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Reviews? Two words:

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

After all the negative critic's attitudes surrounding SW releases over the last two decades (including all things home video release related), I have learned NOT to listen to all of the uneducated, ignorant rantings of so-called "professional" reviewers. I'm also not interested in reading review after review that compares every bit of TFA to the OT, and Bashes the PT all in the same sentence.

Every critic with a stick up their...cachanga, seems to expect each film to be the next Schindler's List or something, and they just don't get that some movies are not SUPPOSED to be that way-but rather 2 hours of slam-bang enjoyment that takes you away from the world for a while. That idea = "bad movie", in their eyes...Not to mention the RIDICULOUS level of expectation that the general public surely has about this trilogy!

I suppose after thinking about it, I will go onto the 7NSA forum to read their opinions-as I respect what all ya'll have to say on here a thousand times more than some ridiculous, ignorant yahoo who posts some random review on...Yahoo-who doesn't even get half the facts right anyways...I'm thinking I'll probably avoid as much of social media/internet as I can in the week leading up to when I see it...

Oh, who are we kidding!? I will probably will end up seeing it within its first 24 hours of release!! Twice!! :-B:p

19. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I'll probably check out the overall critics' rating on Rotten Tomatoes before I see it, but will avoid reading any actual reviews until after the fact. I may try to avoid the RT rating, too, since I don't want to enter the theater with any pre-set expectations of any kind based on critics reviews.

20. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    I will try to avoid reviews before AND after I see the movie.

21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

This. In general I'll take a well heeled review from a professional critic who actually loves film, like the late Roger Ebert, even if they don't agree, over the typical, whiny genre fan.

And I say this as a proud George Lucas fan.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  22. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Even after I see movies I don't follow reviews much. I expect to be all over the messageboard letting it consume my mind like it did in 1999--I barely saw anything else that was released that year--but usually go to certain critics to see what they thought or noticed.

23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I am very uninterested in reviews and will steer clear of them for as long as I can. In fact, I probably won't even come here until I've seen TFA a couple of times and made up my mind about it. It usually takes a while for these movies to sink in.

24. Worst_Jedi_Ever

Worst_Jedi_Ever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    I still remember being unable to help myself and starting to read a review of ROTS before it came out...and Order 66 was mentioned in the first few sentences.

So, yeah, I think I will need to stay away from reviews.

25. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I loved AOTC. The reviews, apparently, did not. I don't read reviews for movies I already plan to see - because what's the point? I'm the only critic that matters.