Will You NOT Watch A Film Because It's On VHS?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Gobi-1, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    DVDs have spoiled me so much that I've basically decide not to watch video tapes, or stone tablets as I now call them, anymore. If I don't have a movie on DVD but on VHS I'd actually won't watch it simply because it's on tape.

Is anybody else like that?

P.S. My only exception to the rule is tv shows like Who Line Is It Anyways? which I recorded so I could watch them again.
  2. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    My VHS is packed away somewhere. All I have now is DVD. Luckily I didn't buy many VHS tapes.
  3. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I never bought a great many VHS, so my collection is mainly DVD, but I've got no problem popping in a VHS. Unless it's not OAR -- which is a little more forgivable than with DVD, but still blasphemy to me.
  4. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    Are you kidding?

The fact that VHS is in the process of dying has made them RIDICULOUSLY affordable!

I'm managing to see all manner of independent/arthouse films that i wouldn't normally be able to check out thanks to the used-video bin at Blockbuster!

I dunno, i mean, the picture quality and audio on DVDs are nice, but honestly, how many 'extras' on dvds do you ever REALLY check out more then once?

5. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    I won't rent new releases on VHS, only DVD. And the only VHS tapes I'd buy these days are hard to find wrestling tapes.
  6. Obi-Sauron Jedi Knight

star 3
    I will not watch a film on VHS.

Also I dont rent or buy DVD's unless it has extras (deleted scenes, the making of, director and/or actor commentaries). I blame Peter Jackson for this.

7. Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Usually, I won't. I'll try to find a DVD version of the movie, or just some other movie that I'd enjoy watching...

~LtJS @};-

8. Siphonophore Jedi Master

star 4
    I've found a few Kurosawa films on sale at Tower that aren't available for rent. Sometimes they're either not available on DVD or the DVDs are high-priced Criterions.... a big gamble for something I haven't seen. So, I haven't dumped my VCR yet. And until Lost Highway comes to DVD, I'll be watching my WS tape.
  9. Obi-Sauron Jedi Knight

star 3
    And until Lost Highway comes to DVD . . .

this produces much grumbling from me whenever I'm in a video store.

10. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    I'm not above watching movies on VHS. Most of the SciFi miniseries that I rant about are on tape, because I can't watch them in person, we've got a ton of leftover ones that can be taped over, and my grandmother is developing a real taste for sci-fi. Plus, as someone mentioned, the used ones are getting really cheap. However, I'm probably not going to purchase a new VHS tape any more.
  11. Darth_Skycrawler Jedi Master

star 4
    I still watch movies on VHS, although I prefer DVD. If Im renting a movie and they only have it available in VHS then I will rent it.

I also record alot of shows off TV, so I am used to using my VCR.
  12. Miss_Padfoot Jedi Padawan

I love VHS. My sister is the DVD freak of the family. ;)
  13. Obi-Wan's Apparition Force Ghost

star 5
    And until Lost Highway comes to DVD . . .

Is it ever coming out on DVD?! :(

I watch vhs all the time but I won't buy them anymore.
  14. werewook Jedi Knight

star 2
    Also I dont rent or buy DVD's unless it has extras (deleted scenes, the making of, director and/or actor commentaries). I blame Peter Jackson for this.

[face_laugh] Yes. He has crammed so much stuff onto those extended edtions of his that it has spoiled me too. Why can't everyone insert their deleted scenes? :(

Personally I watch both. My parents still buy VHS but I only buy DVDs. Of course I only buy a select few DVDs.
  15. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    I prefer to watch DVD's, but I need to buy a vcr so that I can watch the unaltered version of the original trilogy every now and again.
  16. jedi_john_33 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I remember when my brother bought me Silence of the Lambs...but, he bought VHS.

I told him to go look at my DVD collection, which was well over 50 at the time, and said, "Dude...what do I have?"

And he said, "it was cheaper..."

"By how much?"

"2 bucks"

[face_plain]
  17. Spirit_of_Pozzi Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'll watch one if my computers turned off for the six hour break I give it every three days.

Lost Highway? Is that the David Lynch film? It's available in Australia. No chapter search of course.
  18. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    I still rent VHS all the time,they are cheaper to rent,and my video store has a better selection of titles on VHS
  19. Dani1138 Force Ghost

star 3
    Lost Highway is also available in the UK... and according to Amazon.com, its available to the US on import (region 1 as well).

link - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000060MWU/qid=1098795980/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-6718074-1231328?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846
  20. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I will watch stuff on video...I mainly watch VHS because of the cost of rentals here...

When I buy movies/TV show box sets, I always buy the on DVD format or VCD. I love the DVD quality, extra features etc. :) And DVDs are so much nicer, what with chapter selections, size(they take up less space) etc.

However my movie rentals are mainly on video coz they are so much more affordable. In local rupees, our video rentals might be Rs. 30 or 40, but a DVD costs Rs. 100 to rent.

So on video I get more for my money. :D

21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I'll only watch VHS if there's no DVD alternative.

Because, honestly, after getting accustomed to the image quality of DVD over the past 7 years, VHS is really quite unwatchable.
  22. RubberDuckyfromHell Jedi Knight

star 1
    Nope, I'm still able to watch VHS with the best of 'em. I seem to have inherited my mom's attitude of not really needing the DVD of something if I already have it on VHS, though that might change when I finish up school and finally move out on my own full time and I'll only have the DVD player and no VHS. But seriously, I couldn't care less about the better audio and video quality since there is more to a film that just the way it looks and sounds.
  23. Darth_Banal Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think the only reason I have left for VHS is to tape episodes of 24. And that will probably be gone when/if I get Tivo.
  24. jedijoker Force Ghost

star 7
    I watch VHS all the time.
  25. Sleezy Force Ghost

star 3
    Incidentally, my good friend just liquidated his entire VHS collection, claiming that he "simply can't watch them anymore".

Weird.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.