main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will You NOT Watch A Film Because It's On VHS?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Gobi-1, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    But seriously, I couldn't care less about the better audio and video quality since there is more to a film that just the way it looks and sounds.

I agree 100%...

Unfortunately, that's gonna be a tough-sell on
    a Star Wars site, thanks to George and his technical
    obsession....

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Of course not, as many out of print films are only available on older VHS tapes.

3. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Yep, you're exactly right. I have many movies that I still love on VHS and are not currently out on DVD.

VHS still looks good. DVD is always the best way to go, but I have such a huge video collection...I should really transfer them to DVD.

The fact that VHS is in the process of dying has made them RIDICULOUSLY affordable!

I've found that DVDs can be very cheap too. I've seen movies for $5.99, fairly good ones. But I get a lot of movies for free on VHS because of where I work, if not a lot of current films on VHS, so I only buy DVDs I really like. VHS gives me a trial run if you will.

4. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    yes only because i dont own a video player

5. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    The import (to US) Lost Highway DVD available on Amazon is fullscreen, and I hear the picture quality isn't all that hot.
    Is this the same version Australia gets?
    Speaking of Lynch, anyone seen his DVD restoration of Eraserhead? Really great picture quality... very clean. Only availble at davidlynch.com

6. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Not watching a VHS because it's a VHS is wasteful if you own them

7. Qui-Gon Zero

Qui-Gon Zero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 1999
    I'll watch whatever format a movie is readily available in. I would prefer to watch a movie on DVD if the option is available, but I'm certainly not ready to give up on my VCR just yet. There are too many genre, niche, and foreign movies that simply haven't gotten the DVD treatment. Some of which will probably never get one. In some cases, VHS is the only way I can watch certain movies. Not because I prefer it that way, but simply because there are no other options.

8. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I'm like many I have lots of VHSs and as a matter of fact I bought a couple of cheap vhs players so if one broke I can still play them.

I will watch vhs simply because I have movies that are not yet on dvd. I did a list of the ones I have and once a month I check tosee if any have come out on dvd so that I can slowly buy the dvd version as I can afford to.

Also my mother dosen't have a dvd player so if I rent a movie for us to watch together I have to get the vhs version. S

9. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    Yes. I am morally opposed to VHS or any other means of portraying fullscreen adaptation of any film. It is both wrong and evil.

10. Sleezy

Sleezy Jedi Master star 3

Nov 18, 2002
    Yes. I am morally opposed to VHS or any other means of portraying fullscreen adaptation of any film. It is both wrong and evil.

Arguable.

I'll keep watching my VHS copies of the Star Wars Trilogy (the original cut) before I'll purchase the enhanced "Special Edition" versions on DVD.

11. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Those who claim that they don't "need" the improved video or audio quality on DVD, read this:

I, personally, don't really need over-the-top audio crispness or image clarity either, unless the movie is either in dire need of restoration or it was made by George Lucas :) I ain't a Home Theater(tm) freak, I just want the image to be presentable with no constant grain and clear audio.

However, it is a fact that most VHS editions of movies are PAN-AND-SCANNED. That vile, evil method is a spit to the face of the very filmmakers who poured a lot of heart, blood and soul to make their movies a reality. Watching Lawrence of Arabia pan-and-scanned is like chopping the Mona Lisa into a fraction of it's real size just so it can fit on a museum wall.

DVD, despite being victimized by recent years thanks to the corrupt tactics of corporations like Wal-Mart and the ignorance of the Joe Six Pack crowd, allows you to see a movie in it's ORIGINAL theatrical widescreen glory. Real film buffs respect the intentions of filmmakers and see them in OAR(Original Aspect Ratio) only.

For more information, please visit www.widescreen.org and inform yourself.

[face_flag]

Back on-topic, I refuse to watch VHS now that I know of the evil that is Pan-and-Scan.

12. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    However, it is a fact that most VHS editions of movies are PAN-AND-SCANNED. That vile, evil method is a spit to the face of the very filmmakers who poured a lot of heart, blood and soul to make their movies a reality.

Real film buffs respect the intentions of filmmakers and see them in OAR(Original Aspect Ratio) only.

Okay, now i think this is a case of extremism that borders on the ludicrous.

I speak as someone who owned alot of movies back during the height of pan-and-scan, and who has since picked up alot of the same movies after they've been released on DVD in Widescreen or letterbox format.

And you know what? The ONLY film where i've noticed ANYTHING in the widescreen version that i had never noticed in the pan-and-scan version before then was "Star Wars: A New Hope"..

You know what the things i noticed that i hadn't noticed before were?

A glass of blue milk and a Stormtrooper banging his head on a door.

I gotta tell you those altered my entire understanding of the film known as "Star Wars" :p

I mean, yeah, it's nice to have the WHOLE picture, but Fullscreen DVDs STILL outsell Widescreen dvds. ALOT of people find those black bars VERY distracting, when watching a film..

To claim that these people are 'spitting in the face of the original filmmaker is just dumb.

Some filmmakers need to get over themselves.

Not everyone is Ingrid Bergman, ya know?

13. midthomp

midthomp Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    I always buy DVD's but if it is a rental over 6 months old then I gotta go vhs. People really don't take care of the rental disks & it drives me nuts to watch a movie and then all the sudden it skips & pixelates.

14. JMRycheBa-Gai

JMRycheBa-Gai Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2004
    I don't rent at all anymore. However, if a movie is not out on DVD, I WILL buy it on VHS. I much prefer DVD.

But there are 1,000s of high quality movies that have NOT been released on DVD yet, case in point, Two Weeks With Love. And some movies that are so bad, they're good haven't been released yet, case in point, The Pirate Movie.

15. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    But there are 1,000s of high quality movies that have NOT been released on DVD yet, case in point,

That's when laserdisc comes in handy. Some lasers are not even available on DVD. Though I do want to transfer them all to DVD.
    I usually rent DVDs if I go to Blockbuster, but if it's just a rental I'll do VHS. Not a big deal. If I want the full-on movie theater experience, I'll plan ahead, usually. I have access to this awesome (almost) state of the art screening room. :)

16. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I still watch VHS movies as well as DVD movies.

17. Luftwaffe

Luftwaffe Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2004
    I will watch a VHS tape but I'd much rather not do so. I love my DVD's!

18. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Only DVD. Only widescreen, except for the older films before widescreen existed.

M. Scott

19. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    If my VCR is working. I've had it since 1983, so it's a little iffy.

20. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    ive got over a thousand vhs tapes and no working player just cant bring myself to buy one now just so i can burn them all to dvd ill only have to burn them to blue ray in acouple of years so ill buy a second hand one then

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.