main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will you read the novelization first?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Poor Greedo, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    If they do release it before the movie, will you read the book before watching the film?
    Did anyone read ANH before the movie came out? (calling all OG fans) Did you read TPM a month early?

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Depends on whether it's by a good writer.

Poor Greedo likes this.
  3. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I will try with all my might not to read it before, but will surely read it after because there are usually some cool goodies in the books that are not in the movies.

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Certainly not.

TheMasterOfSoresu likes this.
  5. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    No, I will watch the movie first. I usually like getting the original source before trying to get contextual information to get perspective.

Team Padme likes this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Can't see breaking with tradition now. I've read the novel first for the three PT films, and my first SW collectible (unknown at the time) is a first edition of the original SW novel. I think I missed out on reading ESB and RoTJ before seeing the films but I've since read both.

Poor Greedo likes this.
  7. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I read about half of the TPM novelisation before seeing the film. I can see the advantage as it fills in some motivational gaps, but it's just too spoileriffic for me.

8. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    I might read it later on if I hear it's wonderful, but I'll get my spoilers here on the boards. :p

Poor Greedo likes this.
  9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Really enjoyed the prequel novels, although I do think that TPM and AOTC's different beginnings kinda messed with the story too much. The OT novels are good, too, despite being crimped in style by being children of the 80s-back then, movie novels were pretty much straight adaptations of the script and that was it. Movie novelizations are alot more free to tell the story nowadays-the first one I can think of is the novel for Alien Resurrection, which has a pretty fair chunk of POV from the aliens in it.

Poor Greedo likes this.
  10. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    Nah, as others have said I'll probably go back later after seeing the movie for some more in depth stuff that you can only get in the novels. I remember going back to read The Phantom Menace after seeing the movie and I loved the internal dialogue of Qui Gon during the lightsaber battle. Spoilers are one thing, knowing a movie beat for beat would be too much for me.

Poor Greedo likes this.
  11. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I've always wanted the novelizations and other materials detailing the story and giving away plot points to come out after the movies. During the prequels, stuff would come out nearly a whole month before release. Unlike a book written independently of a movie that could come many years later, the novelization is made to just support the movie. The movie is the most important element, and what people anticipate. I don't want to ruin that.

kainee and Poor Greedo like this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    No. I did read the ROTJ book before seeing the film way back in the 80's. It didn't ruin anything, it made me want to see the film even more. But I won't do such a thing again. Film first.

13. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    I won't read it at all as consider Star Wars a film series. Glad other people enjoy them but I enjoy the visuals as much as everything else.

Artoo-Dion , kainee and Poor Greedo like this.
  14. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Not at all. I want to enjoy the film for what it is.

kainee likes this.
  15. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The order I intend to do it. First, themoviespoiler.com, if that sounds good, then I'll read the novelization, if it still holds up through that reading, then I'll go watch the movie. At the first sign of a Jar Jar like character or nuked fridge... I'm outta there.

16. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Please have someone film and assemble a documentary of this experience. I would watch the **** out of it.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Not before, but probably after.

18. Darth Sone

Darth Sone Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Nah, watch the movie, then read the book. I'm usually an advocate of the opposite, if the movie is an adaptation of the book though.

kainee likes this.
  19. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Nah. IMO, the only really GOOD novelization was ANH. I made an attempt at the ROTS book, and put it down. Pretty weak sauce, that was.

20. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The writing style appeals to quite a lot of people though. I read it first, then saw the movie- and the book impressed me more.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  22. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    No and HELL NO!

I've never read any of the movie novelizations all the way through. I used to have the omnibus edition of the OT but never got through ANH. Also, many of the EU books are just bad so I pretty much stick to movies (and CW toons.)

Poor Greedo likes this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed. I definitely preferred the ROTS novel to the movie.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If I can get it before the movie comes out I will read it. I read ROTS before the movie and liked both. Bring on the novel!

25. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    I suppose if we're judging books that were written on a third-grade reading level, then it was adequate. Perhaps if the publishers had inserted pages to color after each chapter it would have been more rewarding.