main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will you read the novelization first?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Poor Greedo, Dec 29, 2012.

1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

So you're REALLY not going to see the movies if the story (as portrayed in the novel) turns out to be weak? Riiiight. :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, I loved the book more than the film, especially the battle above Coruscant; Dooku and Palpatine's conversation, Grievous' interactions with Captain Needa and his realisation that Dooku was dead. Awesome stuff.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The novel got into Dooku's head so well unlike the movie. Unfortunately Stover didn't have the Anakin and Obi-Wan scenes go to Dooku. They also didn't have Yoda on Kashyyyk and didn't go as in-depth to the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan duel as I would have liked. Great novel nonetheless. All the parts you mentioned were great.

Poor Greedo likes this.
  4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Yep! Any more questions?

5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    It really depends on who writes it.

6. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    I will be seeing the movies first. Books come afterward for me. Like another poster said, it fills in details and other little tidbits for a picture that seems more whole.

Poor Greedo likes this.
  7. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I will skim it. Too lazy to read the whole thing

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    No way will I read the book before the movie, though I will read it eventually.

9. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    Definitely not, I never see the point of reading a novel that already have a movie in the making. E.g., Harry Potter books, I just watch the movies.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Potter books are better though

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  11. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I will likely read the novel first, providing it's released before the film. I read the novelizations for the prequels before hand and it only made me enjoy the films all the more. TPM was the exception though. The book was better than the film to me.

12. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Probably....that or get the audiobook.

Poor Greedo likes this.
  13. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Just like with ROTS, after

14. aeods

aeods Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2004
    I read TPM, AOTC and ROTS before their movies, but they were a lot less spoilerific than this book would be. With them, I at least knew the general direction they would take - TPM wasn't a conscious decision, I was 8 at the time, but the other two I knew basically where the story was going. With this I may actually resist the temptation to read it, just to try and avoid spoilers. But I think I'm kidding myself and will pick it up the day it comes out and read it cover to cover that day, same as I did with ROTS.

And to the loon saying the ROTS book was terrible, it is easily the best of the six books, and probably the only one significantly better than its film counterpart.

15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    No way.

However, I read the novels of ANH and ESB before ROTJ came out in the early 80's. Funny thing was, the ANH book alluded to Luke feeling enamored and infatuated with Leia.:eek:

[​IMG]

16. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Noooo way. Think about it. I have no clue what direction these films will take. I want to go to the theater and be surprised.