Will

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by SWEET_JEEBUS, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyan_Dawn Jedi Knight

star 3
    I always get a kick out of people saying "_______" is the next Star Wars, or the Star Wars of this generation (even though there literally IS a Star Wars of this generation). Its funny because it never happens.
  2. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    It's not a critical flop. It has 97% rating at rotten tomatoes, just about the best reviews I've seen for a big budget movie. Better even, by a considerable margin, than the reviews for FOTR.
  3. abmccray Jedi Knight

star 2
    ((MINORITY REPORT will be a flop. Speilberg always ends his movies HORRIBLY!!!

Lucas always ends them great!!! ))

And you guys wonder why I talk about the movie mentality of Star Wars fans.
  4. Bookedout Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah, Cyan, I remember when they made that claim for "The 5th Element". Boy was that wrong!
  5. Cyan_Dawn Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yep, I remember that. I also remember critics saying that Spawn and ID4 were the Star Wars of this generation.

Permission to laugh now.
  6. JBFett Jedi Master

star 4
    Spielberg is brilliant.

of all forums, this one should be showing him and his movies support rather than flaming and comparing them to star wars. Lucas and him are great friends, he is a HUGE supporter of Star Wars, always has been. The two will soon be at it again with Indy 4 which is sure to be phenomenal. I would love it if the two teamed up more often, they have created the world's most priceless gems in filmmaking. On that note, AOTC has been out for over a month...of course Minority Report will take away from it's box office, but who gives a damn.

I cant wait to see MR tonight, I cant wait for all of Spielberg's movies. HE IS STEVEN SPIELBERG FOR GOD'S SAKE!

AOTC is great, SM was ok, and MR I am hearing is just fantastic...so the more great movies the better, especially coming from a filmmaker of such high class and great stature.
  7. DarkLord_Tyrannus Jedi Knight

star 1
    Excuse me, my young child, do not question my movie critique.

Minority Report, like many other movies in the past, get good reviews. You forget that these critics on tv are paid at times to give what they are told to give.

They also said that Contact was good with Jodi Foster, that was a drag.

They also said Austin Powers 2 was not funny.

Only dumb idiots who dont have a women or man(for the ladies) in their life listen to what fat ass EBERT and homoerectus ROPERT or any other critic says.

You must go and give your own judgement on a movie.

They said Star Wars episode 2 was horrible? Come on now.

Minority report will be a flop, but I will check for myself and when it is, I want an apology for your ignorant comment you lil nerd!
  8. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    By the way, the New York Times review notes that Spielberg "borrows" from Lucas's early film THX for some of the imagery in Minority Report, and that Lucas has borrowed from that film repeatedly over the years.

It's nice to see reviews for a movie when everything falls into place.

Cruise's performance is getting rave reviews.
    The script is getting rave reviews.
    The direction is getting rave reviews, etc.

With the PT, unfortunately, enjoying the movies has always been a matter of, how much are you willing to overlook or ignore? If you can look past the dialogue, it's great. If you can look past the acting, it's fabulous.
  9. TokyoXtreme Jedi Master

star 4
    Ebert sez:

He makes "Minority Report" with the new technology; other directors seem to be trying to make their movies from it. This film is such a virtuoso high-wire act, daring so much, achieving it with such grace and skill. "Minority Report" reminds us why we go to the movies in the first place.

This is a great topic, but the real question is "Will Minority Report make Episode III a better movie?"

One more thing Star Wars "fans": that new Jedi Knight game is pretty hot shiz. So please don't bash poor Jabba unless you've actually PLAYED THE DAMN GAME!!!! I get so sick of having to defend LucasArts from trolls/bashers.
  10. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    Critics are paid to tell their opinion, not tell the public what everyone else wants them to. I don't see why so many critucs are so against AOTC, but it is ultimately THEIR opinion.

MR will not flop. It may not be the highest grossing film of the year, but if anything, it will not flop.

EDIT: Jabba, I consider alot of the acting and dialogue great myself in the PT.

ST
  11. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I wrote that Lucas makes great special effects for other peoples' movies (and for his own movies), and I wrote that Lucas makes great video games.

How much more positive do I have to be.

Quit playing innocent, Jabba.
  12. MexChewie Jedi Master

star 4
    When critics claim that "__" will be the next Star Wars, it just goes to show you how much critics do not really understand SW. The stories are multilayered. So let the critics blow hot air, we know better.
  13. JBFett Jedi Master

star 4
  14. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    It's nice to see reviews for a movie when everything falls into place.

Cruise's performance is getting rave reviews.
    The script is getting rave reviews.
    The direction is getting rave reviews, etc.

With the PT, unfortunately, enjoying the movies has always been a matter of, how much are you willing to overlook or ignore? If you can look past the dialogue, it's great. If you can look past the acting, it's fabulous.

Jabba...

WHY ARE YOU HERE?

You don't enjoy the PT. You think critics' reviews mean everything, and critics have reviewed MR and Bored of the Rings more positively than the PT.

Now why don't you go to forums for those movies?
  15. TokyoXtreme Jedi Master

star 4
    Which critics have been saying MR is the next Star Wars?

POST PROOF OR RETRACT!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Darth Geist Force Ghost

star 5
    "You forget that these critics on tv are paid at times to give what they are told to give."

I remember the time when ABC, a Disney-owned network, showed a "Making of Flubber" special (Flubber, of course, being a Disney movie), during which they repeatedly announced, "Stay tuned for the Siskel and Ebert review!" Siskel and Ebert--while still on Disney-owned airwaves, mind you--went on to rip the movie apart. You'd think they'd do otherwise if they were on this payroll you seem to believe in.

Perhaps you have evidence to back up your claim...?
  17. abmccray Jedi Knight

star 2
    Dark Lord Tyranus,

Your homophobic, baseless claims are only eclipsed by the obviousness of your lack of understanding of the moviemaking process. (Especially your signature, which bodly states "more action!")

Perhaps if you comprehended the reviews, you would be able to see that Ebert did not say that AOTC was "terrible."

Anyway, ignoring the child (I'm grabbing that from his sentence structure and statements), it looks like Spielberg might have finally made another "universal" movie that is loved by all types of people - highbrow and lowbrow. A.I. was fantastic, but most of the audience and many critics didn't "get it" (literally), and the rest were divided over whether it was brilliant or uneven. That's what makes Spielberg so great - his ability to appeal to all audiences at once (although A.I. was a slight departure from this).

As for the "Star Wars of the next generation," the PT doesn't look like it's the SW of the next generation, which is why the critics are searching for a new one.
  18. Darth Geist Force Ghost

star 5
    re A.I.: I vote for "uneven," but I see what he was going for.
  19. abmccray Jedi Knight

star 2
    If ANYONE is on a payroll, it's fanboy Harry Knowles (who mysteriously saw AOTC beforehand and loved it, BTW).

It's no coincidence that he likes every movie that he's courted to see. Nor is it any coincidence that he has reviewed and LOVED every New Line Cinema movie this year, right after they start advertising on his site.

So yes, I do believe that some critics are paid off. However, it would be crazy to think that 97% of them are - especialyl for a Spielberg/Cruise movie, which is not dependant on critical reaction.
  20. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Just as seeing THX inspired Spielberg all those years ago, maybe seeing Minority Report will inspire Lucas to make better movies. Stranger things have happened.
  21. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    If ANYONE is on a payroll, it's fanboy Harry Knowles (who mysteriously saw AOTC beforehand and loved it, BTW).

He also couldn't rave about LOTR enough.
  22. Import_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    Will "Minority Report" steal AOTC's thunder?

Does it matter? Spider-Man already did :)

23. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Just as seeing THX inspired Spielberg all those years ago, maybe seeing Minority Report will inspire Lucas to make better movies. Stranger things have happened.

I think Lucas is doing just fine, and I hope he isn't inspired by anything Spielberg does.

Now why not go to a Minority Report forum, since you're so prepared to love it?
  24. Darth Geist Force Ghost

star 5
    Did Harry ever review Dungeons and Dragons? That was a New Line movie, and I seem to remember AICN roasting it.
  25. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Harry Knowles has gone on record as one of the only critics out there who didn't like Minority Report.

His tastes are so puerile that you can almost bet a big chunk of the teen audience isn't going to like Minority Report either.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.