main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit William Shakespeare's Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I love that Jar-Jar's reason for being exiled is that he wanted peace and cooperation with the Naboo, which the Boss' disagreed with. Why couldn't that have been in the movie?!?

2. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

Hah, that's exactly one of my suggestions for improving the film.

Intredasting.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I just got mine on Saturday from Amazon US so I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Hopefully it's as good as the OT ones!

4. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014

Because that's not what his character was. Why couldn't Han have helped Luke because he believed in the Rebellion? That's deeper and more meaningful, is that automatically an "improvement"? I think the PT will probably lend itself better to this treatment since they are far more overtly "Shakespearian" than the OT.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't mind Jar-Jar being a naive/silly tag along but I thought we were missing some information when he said he was banished for being "clumsy."

Elizabethan Gungan is beyond funny, as is Elizabethan Battle Droid.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I read through this earlier today. Thought it was pretty good and I liked the 'improved' JarJar. Any feeling as to who the unnamed 'JEDI 1' and 'JEDI 2' are?

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Guill Dens-Tern and Roh-Senn Crantz?

Darth Zack, Sarge, Zorrixor and 7 others like this.
  8. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    You can use their shorter names.
    [​IMG]

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It seems to be hard to find in the UK at the moment.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'll throw you a copy across the pond when I get one. I've got a really big slingshot ready.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - that's why I got mine from Amazon US. UK didn't have it in stock when I ordered.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I had to order this online because I couldn't find it in the UK.

My favourite part in the book was easily the "bigger fish,sent by the Jedi Council" protecting Qui Gon and Obi Wan from the fish under orders from the Sith.....absurdity I love it[face_laugh]

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Although you've gotta be careful and double check it's the English version, I've recently discovered an often cheaper option in the UK to ordering from Amazon US is to get it from Amazon DE, as the shipping rates are cheaper from Europe.

I did that recently to get the TCW Lost Missions DVD (albeit the DVD box art is in German, the DVD itself is the same English version), and as far as I can tell I think the copy of The Phantom of Menace available here is the same US import, just from the German site, and I imagine the shipping is cheaper across the Channel than the Atlantic (I still need to double check though).

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The fish monologues were funny. Forbidden Planet seems to have gotten the book this weekend, so I snapped it up.

Jedi Knight Fett and SilentGuy66 like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I finished it a few days ago. Great read.

Love what Doescher did to "Are you an angel?"

"Excuse me this intrusion, madam, but: Are you by some celestial body sent? Did you make home beyond the galaxy, Whence you come to bless my little life?"

Watto referring to mind tricks as "mind decapitations" was great as well. And Obi-Wan assuming that Tatooine junk shops include "a lad in every sale."

Sarge, Vthuil, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Okay, I'm getting this. Was waiting for reviews.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  19. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    That may be the best picture of General Greivous I have ever seen!

mes520 likes this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The AOTC one is out soon - Amazon UK says Jul 7.

mes520 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, I've got it on pre-order.

22. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I haven't read these, but I feel like a live performance of them would be really great, maybe at a renaissance fair or something.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just a note for those that might have it on order with Amazon UK - there's a 3-5 week wait for it according to their site. I had it in an order with other books (including Dark Disciple) and was wondering why the order delivery date wasn't til August. I've cancelled it from that order and put it in on Amazon US, who has it in stock.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    ... is really good so far.

Anakin whining in iambic parameter seems somehow less...whiny.

Of course Padme's "Our mentors have a way of seeing more of our flaws than we would like. It's the only way we grow" got turned into a massive gardening metaphor, which extended to the whole "please don't look at me like that" exchange. Anakin admits that he "planted root of love too soon."

Plus one of the illustrations is of Palpatine in a ruff with a castle behind him. Another is of Obi-Wan and Dex drinking from barrels.

25. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Got this today but haven't got round to reading it yet, love the cover though:D