Williams is a genius...

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Starfox, Apr 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Seagoat
  1. Starfox Jedi Padawan

star 4
    In my opinion, all the soundtracks Williams has made have suited the films perfectly - here's to name a few soundtracks wich have achieved a classic status:

Indiana Jones -trilogy's soundtracks
    Star Wars -trilogy's soundtracks
    E.T -soundtrack
    etc.
    etc.

And now Williams is composing the soundtrack for the first Harry Potter -film. It will be great - even the music in the trailer suited the trailer. The fact that Williams makes perfect soundtracks will never stop amazing me. Do you agree? :)
  2. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Yes, I agree that Williams is a great composer. :)
  3. Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Oooo, I just saw the Harry Potter trailer a few days ago, and that music was fantastic! Reminded me a little of Home Alone's soundtrack, but of course with its own unique flavor. I can't wait to hear what JW has done for the movie. He is, most assuredly, a genius. :D
  4. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Williams *is* a genius.

Do you think he'll make new music for the new E2 trailer, or will it be all old?
  5. yodaman Jedi Knight

star 5
    The trailer will come out before Williams will even had a chance to score episode II so you'll probably see a rehash of old Star Wars music.
  6. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    yodaman's right. But I don't mind, since the TPM trailers worked perfectly with the music from the OT.

And yeah, I loved the music to the Harry Potter trailer. This looks like it's going to be another magical Williams score in the same vein as Hook and E.T.
  7. Starfox Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I especially love the musics in Hook ( how did I forget? ) - full of atmosphere etc. And I love the movie as well.

And I agree that the musics worked out VERY WELL in the Episode I trailers. And anyways, the trailers are masterpieces anyway, as they truly captured the StarWars 'magic' and made you crawl in excitement anyway...
  8. Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team

VIP
    star 7
    I disagree. Williams is not a genius.

He's a GOD! :D
  9. Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight

star 6
  10. JWK Jedi Master

star 4
    Williams rules, nobody can argue that.
  11. MoronDude Jedi Knight

star 6
    I agree, JW is a good composer. But you have to remember, it is his job. I mean its like calling to Roto-Rooter Man a God because he uncloged your drain like a pro! JW is just a talented composer, but there have been, and will be many more talented composers. I'm just sayin' he's good, but he's no God.
  12. Starfox Jedi Padawan

star 4
    There has been better composers, such as Mozart and Beethoven, but he's definetely one of the best today. However, composing soundtracks is really much different thing than composing a music-piece of own emotion, as soundtrack always has an emotion to go with - a pattern to start with. Williams just converts the visualization of the film to music, and that he does VERY well indeed.

13. Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team

VIP
    star 7
    MoronDude(how fitting :p), comparing a plumber to John Williams is probably one of the worst comparisons. Plumbers rely on technical expertise and little imagination. Williams relies heavily on imagination and experience to bring an element of magic to movies. If Ravel, Mozart, or other classic composers were alive today, then perhaps they would be considered Gods. But as it is they aren't and the single most influential and IMO best composer of music alive today is John Williams. So basically, he's a God.
  14. waheennay Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I think the key to Williams' greatness, is that the movies that he scores would be conciderably less without them.
  15. Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I think my choir is doing a JW piece from Empire of the Sun next semester. :)
  16. squirrel Jedi Youngling

John Williams is great composer, I agree. But comparing him to a plumber is not all that farfetched. Composing uses a great deal of imagination (I'm a professional composer, so I feel pretty safe saying this), and a good film composer must be creative and prductive under extreme deadlines. BUT, this is not to say that a plumber doesn't have the same qualities. A great plumber, or mechanic, or carpenter, whatever, uses these same creative and imaginative powers in his or her job. That's what makes them great. Believe me, I know plenty of composers that rely on technical knowhow and the mechanics of music alone, and don't use a shred of imagination (I've been guilty of this - even John Williams has standard little hooks and phrases he falls back on when the well is running a little dry). In any profession, there are people who rise above the mundane to genius. You can flip burgers, or you can work at a 4 star resteraunt. In either case you're still a cook. Like Edison said, genius is 1 percent inspiration, and 99 percent perspiration. This is true for composeing as well . It IS work.
  17. emupiett Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Squirrel, as I am a composition major, I agree with you 100%. It takes a lot of work. Sometimes I find it extremely hard to come up with something by a specific deadline, but since it still needs to be done, I put my all into it. Sure, I have my bad days. Everyone does. I also have my really good days. Some people have called ME a genius. Does that make me one? I have no idea. However, what I do know is that John Williams does what he does extremely well. Does doing what one does well make someone a genius?
  18. dolphin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm still in awe of how he managed to come up with Sanskrit(of all languages) for Duel of the Fates. What made him go in THAT direction. Strange and amazing at the same time.
  19. emupiett Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Actually I heard an interview (on the web) with Williams about that. He said that he wanted a language that would make the scene like a Pagan ceremony. Since Sanskrit is an Ancient Indian language, he decided to use that.
  20. Erin Kenobi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    John Williams is definitely one of, if not the, best composers alive today.
  21. Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I hope he takes off every zig in Episode II!
  22. JJDF413 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    every1 i made listen to his music thinks so
  23. Jedi-Finney Jedi Master

star 4
  24. JJDF413 Jedi Youngling

star 1
  25. JJDF413 Jedi Youngling

star 1
Moderators: Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.