"Willow"

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by StarSmuggler, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I have always enjoyed "Willow" and thought that it would have made a good sequel- they could have easily picked up on the story of Elora as an adult and what happened to Willow after he returned to his village. The brownies would need to be included too- "You are mine to toy with". This film was not one of Lucas' big hits and I was wondering what other SW fans thought about the film.
  2. malducin Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well there were sequels but they took the form of a trilogy of novels written by Chris Claremont and Lucas. In fact they do take place when Elora is grown up and there are apperances by the brownies, Willow, and Madmartigan and others, though what happens to several of them might be "shocking".

As far as the film, I personally love it.
  3. Obi_one_and_only Jedi Master

star 5
    Yes, Willow is one of my favourites.. I like the theme mostly, especially when they cross a cliff. I get tears in my eyes then.

malducin, can you please point me to the novels? Thanks.
  4. malducin Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Here is a link to the first novel of the series:

Shadow Moon

The others are Shadow Dawn and Shadow Star.
  5. BabaORileyFett Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I watched this film a few months ago, and it has aged pretty well.

The SFX is dated (of course), but the story is timeless...the film remains full of inescapable youth and rewarding adventure.

6. DarthLazious Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I would love to see a sequel to Willow.
  7. CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I love willow. I own the dvd, and watch pretty often.
  8. DarthLazious Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I am hoping to maybe get it for Chrismas this year on DVD.
  9. Darthsuggs Jedi Master

star 4
    It has been ages and I am now dying to watch it.
  10. DarthLazious Jedi Youngling

star 4
  11. Darthsuggs Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah I really love the music from the film that I remember.
  12. StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yes, the music is great. I love the scene when the Brownies capture Willow and Migosh ('m not sure if I spelled that correctly). 'You are mine to toy with!" The Brownies are very funny. I also really like the scene when the Ufgoods take in Elora. " Can we keep it Dada?".

"Keep walking hero!!!"
  13. Darthsuggs Jedi Master

star 4
    Well I did get this for Christmas and have watched it several times. I think the poetry scene is rather funny. I will probably end up reading the books.
  14. BabaORileyFett Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The soundtrack is one of my faves, definitely one of the greatest scores.

15. Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I am not so sure that "Willow" is in fact one of Lucas' great creations (I know, it was directed by Ron Howard, but Lucas came up with the story). It is watchable, and entertaining to a point, but ultimately plays like a low-rent "Lord of the Rings" that is cooked with a little too much "applied mythology", which feels recycled and somewhat forced. I actually appreciate the first half of the film more than the second half, as that is where things start to go off the rails. Another 'near-miss' in my books.

By the way, to any who have the DVD, is the commentary track by Warwick Davis interesting? Also, what other bonus features are included? Finally, is anyone disappointed that Howard did not record a commentary track for the DVD?
  16. TheVampireArmand Jedi Youngling

star 1
    "I didn't ask you to bring me a DEAD NURSEMAID ---- Sorcia, your useless!"
  17. TheVampireArmand Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I wonder if Bavmorda ever conjured up Palpatine during one of her dark side rituals?
  18. Naxos Jedi Youngling

IIRC Willow was also something that Lucas is considering for a possible spinoff TV series.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.