main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Win a chance to be in Episode VII (includes "Bob" discussion)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darth_mccartney, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I don't think JJ and co thougth Bob will be such a sensation within hardcore fans. :)

J_Girl and T-R- like this.
  2. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    *printing a "Remember Bob" T-shirt right now*

3. Bluefox

Bluefox Jedi Knight

Nov 1, 2013
    I've seen that trailer, and while I'd say those characters look very good, I wouldn't say they look 'real', they look like a computer image.

T-R- likes this.
  4. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Really? I thought they looked real. Gollum has held up well these last 12 or so yrs. I am really looking forward to the Andy Serkis character. I would be shocked if he wasn't an animatronic character.

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey now, some of us have no photoshop skills what so ever and have to do the best we can with our Bob-ifying. :p

Oh no, Bob will always hold a special place in our hearts no matter who comes after him.
    #NeverAbandonBob
    #InBobWeTrust
    #BobIstheManErCreature
    #BobForever

(Ugh... I can't believe I just did that. ;) )

6. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I think you people like the name Bob more than the actual character. :p

7. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet....but there is a way to enter the contest without donating (for cheapskates like me). I did it - got my one entry.

8. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    #bOb
    #Bobisode VII
    #tobobornottobob
    #Bobisyourfriend

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    #BobRules
    #WeLoveBob
    #Bans4BobHaters

10. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    Are you going to tell us how to do it or do we have to guess ?

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It's in the fine print on the website. You know how contests always say "no purchase necessary", that's because they have to be that way to be legal. There's always a way to enter without spending money in the fine print.

In this case:
    There is also a link to a place where it looks like you can enter online.

12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup. Kind of like playing Monopoly at McDonald's without buying food to get the tickets. I wonder if anyone actually does that.

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    No joke, when we were in high school my friends and I would go there after school and order like 3 large fries and a large pop each to get a bunch of pieces.

yeah, were had some free time

14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    But that actually surprises me less than someone taking the time to mail in a request for free ("no purchase required") game pieces.

T-R- and mavjade like this.
  15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Scottish food is so cheap in the UK right now. They do meal deal vouchers in the free papers, where you can get a Big Mac (or similar sandwich) with fries for £1.99.

At this rate, McDonald's will be forcing a free burger down you if you want to play Monopoly. Soon the poor will be priced out of healthy eating

T-R- and EHT like this.
  16. Darth Bradius

Darth Bradius Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 27, 2014
    Guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. They look very real to me, and because their movements can be matched exactly to the movements of a live, human performer in a way that a puppet's just cannot be, I find mo-cap CG characters played by great actors like Serkis to be as profound a revelation as the best puppet, and most of the time more profound.

In most cases (not all of course) I'd say puppets are dead. It's like going back to outhouses after discovering modern, indoor plumbing.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  17. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    They're fine for background. If a character like Bob Clampett has a speaking part it will be strange.

He's definitely not deep background.... They wouldn't have his cargo quite so animated. We'll notice him.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Free contest entry! Who wants to be a "force for change", anyway...? We just want to be in Star Wars. It's not like those starving kids could afford a ticket to see us in the film...

19. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    You don't have to mail anything in. You just click on the link on the site that says "Enter here for free" (not the exact wording). It took about 30 seconds.

The fine print also said something I was suspecting: They can't guarantee that the footage you're in will actually make it into the final cut---so you may not even be in the movie!!! This makes perfect sense, though. There's no way they can promise a certain Extra (which is all we would be) will be seen in the final cut, out of hundreds or thousands of hours of footage filmed.

20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    They're asking for 30 seconds of my time and they can't even guarantee I'll be in the final film? :p

plaidphoenix likes this.
  21. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Nah, I'd rather spend the $50,000. Who needs a retirement account, anyway?

If you strike Bob down, he will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

T-R-, Mr. K, CairnsTony and 1 other person like this.
  22. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Oy Vey. :p

T-R- and EHT like this.
  23. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Anyone else here been an extra? I "played" a GI in crowd scenes of A League of Their Own. One of my relatives swears they saw me in it, but I haven't....hmm maybe I should go through the bluray....lol

It was so fun, though, and saw some classic scenes filmed. "There's no crying in baseball!!"

If it were Star Wars, though....wow.

T-R- likes this.
  24. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    I was in a baseball movie too: The Rookie w/ Dennis Quaid. I'm in the stands in the final scene, and you CAN see me....if you pause it and look really carefully.....seriously.

FRAGWAGON and T-R- like this.
  25. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    CG has its' pros and cons, for certain. Among those cons, CG costs more to create (in most cases), is more time consuming (in that one has to insert images frame-by-frame, which could take months rather than practical effects which more often than not take hours/days), make-up/clothing/blood/cuts wounds do not look/flow realistically, textures do not reflect light/shadows properly, when actors have to conjure up emotions in response to something that is not there rather than something that is tangible like practical effects they simply cannot give as strong a performance nor feed off real emotions in quite the same way (not to mention, many actors have come forward on how difficult interaction with air CGI actually is when filming a scene), and this does not get said but I would imagine that there is tremendous amounts of radiation that courses through a person doing motion-capture work with hundreds of mini cameras on them for hours at a time and that cannot be too good either.

Its' pros are less work whereas one does not have to actually create blood/make-up/etc., the means to create endless quantities of something, the means to create something one may not be able to otherwise, can turn back the clock and create Jeff Bridge's in Tron-like moments.

In my opinion, CGI at its' very best is when 'tis utilized to further enrich a practical effect like in the original trilogy special editions where lines encompassing special effects were digitally overridden, or to create something that absolutely is impossible to do by realistic means... but for the most part, CG has been shoved down peoples' gullets as the be-all-end-all means, when at the end of the day it is still just an airbrush with benefits.

Also, with robot technology developing at a rate in which they are fully-posable already, 'tis likely animatronic puppetry can be used even more efficiently in the future advancing practical effects perhaps beyond CG once again. Anyway, not arguing against your point or anything, I just inexplicably despise CG... I am slowly getting better by taking digital etiquette classes where we are taught that CG is not to be feared, but embraced.

vinsanity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.