main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Win Star By Star and get it NEXT WEEK!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Thejedikiller, Sep 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emiaj

Emiaj Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    Spose i could make stuff up.

How long do they mean by a "short review"???

2. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    Wow, thanks, mister!

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    "A man's legs must be long enough to reach the ground"

When writing a review, say what you have to say and don't worry about length. Some of my reviews are a few paragraphs, some can go on for pages as I cover everything I feel needs covering. Try not to go over 800 words.

4. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Even if I won, being stationed here in Iceland it wouldn't be here until next month anyway. (The sad events of this month have slowed our mail to a snail's pace) Regardless, I buy all my stuff at Amazon and they usually send out stuff early, anyway. (I preordered it a month ago.)

5. Nighthawk_Andy

Nighthawk_Andy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2001
    isn't this how TFN got the early spoilers for Rebirth though? I heard that the people that revealed the spoilers were one of the people that had won the book in the competition.

6. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I think it is and maybe Del Rey said to themseleves "We did this and Rebirth went to 10 on the bestsellers list. And antisapation for this is 10x that of rebirth, maybe we can get to #1 after all."

7. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    BTW I didn't enter the drawing. I can't read 500+ pages in under a month in College.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm in college and if I win then I'll be done it within 2 days, 1 if it gets here on a Friday.

9. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    I'm in college and I do all my work for the next day early so that I can just sit around and read the latest Star Wars book on the day it comes out. :D

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I'm in college and i'll skip classes to read it if i win. but odds are i'll get it around 4 when i pick up the mail, and have it read my midnight.

11. Emiaj

Emiaj Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    You don't have to read it all. Just read a few pages and write 100 words about Troy Denning's writing style. Then say that something tragic happens, but you cannot disclose it, however, say that it was tear inducing and rivalled Chewie's death.

12. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    LOL!!!

I can see my review now.

This book was too depressing. It made me cry. I hated a certain event that happened. I am so angry that it happened. It was horrible. It was evil. Ugh. I don't think anyone will like this book unless they like to be depressed, sad, or miserable!

Hahaha.

13. Simone

Simone Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Please don't take me as a complete idiot, but when you say college is that the equvilent of a University?

Please tell me what a college is because ove here where I live things are quite diiferent.

14. Emiaj

Emiaj Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    You idiot, Simone (sorry, I couldn't help it). Yes a college is the equivelent of a University. (But, between you and me they're not as good).

15. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Simone, it depends on where you are I guess.

Traditionally-speaking...

A college is an institution specifically-focused towards teaching a single area of study, vocation or profession. (Arts, sciences, etc.)

A university is an institution of "higher learning" capable of granting academic degrees. Usually comprised of multiple colleges, but not necessarily.

16. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    Well, a lot of colleges are liberal arts colleges. :)

And I think they are MUCH BETTER than universities. ;)

Anyway, skipping classes to read the book!!! Here, if we miss more than one class we get 7 points taken off our final grade for ever day we miss after that. But it's how you get ranked, really, really high.

At Oxford they graded heavily like that too. :)

17. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Considering how long it took me to finish my last LONG book, The Bear and the Dragon which took about a full day, I think I'd finish Star by Star by 3AM the next day, if I got it by 4PM or so. When I get into a book, I don't take breaks, especially not for sleep, and I think I read pretty fast.

Is anyone else slightly annoyed by the SxS abbreviation for Star by Star? Because of my Calc 3 class, whenever I see it I read it as the cross product of a vector S and itself (which is the zero vector). I'm probably insane, but it bothers me nonetheless.

18. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Why do you assume that it's a vector, and not just a variable? I've just been using S^2 for a while.

19. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    I'm in high school but i don't know if i could read that long of a book in a month. I probably could if it was really good.

20. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    I assume its a vector because I haven't used "x" to indicate the multiplication of scalars since I started doing algebra, but that's just me. However, I use "x" to denote cross products all the time, so that is how I interpret SxS.

21. Simone

Simone Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    I just found out that the Star By Star competion is not accepting Irish competitors. And that makes me ANGRY!
    Not as if I was going to win anyway, but still...

:mad:

So I just also found out that I am not an idiot because a College in Ireland is a secondary school, exceptions to the Trinity, in which you do your GCSE's, A/S and A level examanations.

Whilst a University is where you gain graduation after 4 years or so studing for example Jornalism.

This is a Irish secondary college! www.geocities.com/magee_uni/OAKGROVE.html

This is a Irish Universirty
    http://www.geocities.com/magee_uni

This is a Irish College/Universirty
    www.geocities.com/magee_uni/Trinity.html

Show me what your look like! sorry I get excited.

22. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    The only abbreviation I can stand is SBS or SbS.

23. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Man Simone that's gotta suck! I can't believe that. Maybe it's because it'll take so long for you to get the book if you win?

24. BoutyPunkrAurra

BoutyPunkrAurra Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 21, 2001
  25. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I would love to write a review for SBS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.