main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Windows September Update Issues

Discussion in 'Communications' started by LAJ_FETT , Sep 12, 2013.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Some of the folks have posted in the Computer Tech Help thread in Community that they are having issues with the Sep updates for Windows. There's a story about the issues here on the Infoworld website. I'm reposting the information here in Comms to make more people aware of the problem.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks like another update is causing issues in Office - KB2589275. This one downloaded for me but I'm hiding it so it doesn't install.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't really use Windows for much, but...darn cool thread, LAJ. :)

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    What versions of Windows are these causing problems for? I recently installed updates to my Windows 8 machines, but haven't had any issues.

On the other hand, a couple weeks ago my home desktop crashed and now has a corrupt registry. I might be able to fix it by booting into safe mode, but Windows 8 decided to make it almost impossible to get into safe mode if you can't boot normally. [face_plain]

5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I think the latter one was Win 7 (which is what my two machines have). I think Win 8 might have been affected by the first ones.

Edit - Grimby - there are a couple of Safe Mode suggestions here on the PC Advisor site.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I have Windows 7, but I'm not having any issues yet so to speak of.

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The latter one I linked would affect Office. If you don't have that then it shouldn't affect you.

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Maybe this is how my machine got screwed up in the first place...

Yeah, none of those safe mode suggestions work for me because I can't actually boot into Windows. It gets to the loading screen with the circling dots and just stays there forever. I've tried other suggestions where you boot off the Windows disc into command prompt and attempt to alter the boot settings, but I get error messages I can only assume are caused by the registry being corrupt.

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Here's someone who got the spinning dots and let the machine sit for about four hours.(Scroll down..)

I let it sit at the spinning dots for around four hours. (I could hear the cpu fan spin up and down so it was doing something. Did a hard power off and booted mashing f8 to get the recovery menu and tried to select system restore. Windows told me I needed to reboot and select an OS for that to work. I rebooted and the system booted normally like nothing was ever wrong...

Also if you have anything like a printer connected make sure they are disconnected. (Came across that suggestion as well. You should just have the mouse, keyboard, and screen attached. )

10. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    My problem is that mashing F8 never works because my computer is apparently too fast. Maybe I should try going into the UEFI overclock settings and slowing down my CPU. :p

DarthBoba likes this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I saw that complaint in multiple places when I Googled 'windows 8 safe mode'.

12. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    The funny part is I actually did get the F8 trick to work once about a year ago when I was just messing around. Which probably means I'll never hit the Safe Mode lottery ever again...

LAJ_FETT likes this.