Winds of Change - Anakin's Saga is completed!!!!....Sequel announced!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by geo3, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Lex Force Ghost

star 4
    This is what I get for posting after so many others. Especially leia_naberrie. :eek: Tough act to follow?

Suffice it to say that this was one of my favorite chapters of WOC. Between the pregnancy revelation and the ?baptism? in the fresher, it sets Anakin on an entirely new course.

Anakin decided he had been right to tread cautiously in Palpatine?s presence where Padmé was concerned. The Chancellor clearly had a specific agenda, and would be unlikely to tolerate interference with it.
    It?s always good to see the strategist in Vader making an appearance. And also an important lesson there about the future Emperor too. (Not that Vader ever listens: ?I told you to wait with the fleet.? :p ) And yet what choice does Anakin have but to strike some sort of deal? :(

Not all of it ? he had learned his lesson there ? but enough to bring her some vitality and strength. If she chose to, she could use it to fight her own inner battles.
    The return of the life-Force transference was a surprise. ;) Even more than this, though, I like that Anakin is not compelling Padmé to stay with him ? he?s not infusing her with energy she doesn?t want, or trying to control her. He will only help her if she?s willing to fight herself. And given Anakin?s penchant for wanting to control things, this is a very powerful statement about his love for Padmé.

I?m still here.
    Such painful foreshadowing in only three words? :_| At some point he will no longer be Anakin, but Vader. When he looks in the mirror he won?t look the same at all. And yet even then Anakin is still there, lost (or buried) until Luke redeems him two decades later.

?Come on,? he murmured. ?Let?s go. It?s time to find a way to keep on living.?
    I couldn?t agree more that this is what they both would do. And yet Anakin?s reaction to Balé?s death, and Padmé?s reaction to losing Balé and Anakin, shows that the opposite is also true? Padmé could not live without Anakin and her children, nor could he live without them. Which, from a certain point of view, he won?t?

Great job as always, my friend. Can?t wait for the rest. :D
  2. BrownEyes_Blue Jedi Knight

star 2
    geo3....Wow Wow Wow!!! What more can I say that everyone else before me haven't already said. This is probably one of the best fanfictions I've ever read and I do read a lot of them! :) Your characterizations are spot on. The story weaves in and out and conjures up so much emotion and angst. Truly wonderful!

Yes I agree with one of the previous poster that you should submit this to Uncle George. ;) :)

3. JDH3 Jedi Master

star 4
    What a post, geo3! So very sad, and Anakin's sudden reason for hope only makes things all the more painful to read. :_| Padme's weakened state was beautifully written as well. Another wonderful post, but oh so terribly hard to read. :_| :_|

JD.
  4. geo3 Force Ghost

star 4
    More comments to reply to! It?s always nice when one of an author?s favorite parts gets an equally strong response from readers. Thank you, and thank you for letting me know.

GunraysLawyer I never quite understood, intellectually, how much that that "join me offer" is in some ways a subconscious call for aid. In some ways, the signal is "save me" not "join me." The wonderful thing about Luke is that he hears it, understands it, and acts on it. This isn't something that Obi-Wan or Yoda could or would do, and maybe even Padmé might not 'get it' the way Luke does. Something to do with his Mother's compassion and his father's penchant for giving himself over whole-heartedly to anyone that he loves. Interesting and it links to the oft expressed concept that Luke is in many ways what Anakin should have been, but couldn't....

I agree wholeheartedly. Slightly off-topic, I have always wondered why I have never felt able to write Luke. He is such an interesting character, and there are a few writers out there who do a terrific job with him? oh, well. I guess it?s my destiny to have Palpatine whispering in my ear instead.

I need to get a copy of Gonoud's Faust on CD to have it t'd up fo rthe next post... (just an observation)

Not something I wish to have to live up to, my friend. Please don?t!

leia_naberrie I wanted to write a critic?s review, pretentious and patronizing but I was too tired to salvage any wit so if this review is embarrassingly candid, obvious and unpolished, blame it on a fortnight of long days and late nights.

Well, if you?re embarrassed, imagine how I feel. Seriously, I was fascinated ? just fascinated ? to read your ideas about this last chapter. I can see all those elements in it, now that you point them out, although I certainly didn?t sit down to write it with a box of metaphors and another of fairytale imagery in front of me and my intellectual thinking cap on. I just wrote it. Or, the characters did. Such a mysterious process, this thing called writing.

The idea of substitution, for example, is a completely new one for me - but I can see how it fits. I'm very interested in your take on NOT having shown the scene where Padme learns about Bale's death. I'm glad you thought that worked. I really thought the aftermath would be more potent and more relevant to the overall story than another immediate crisis...and your comments about the imagery of the two small figures in the vast space made me go back and re-read my own chapter again!

Thank you very much!

Calen2KK Me thinks that Anakin is going to accept Palpatine?s offer in exchange to him letting Padmé go. But will Padmé agree to that? She might not even care anymore, about the bill or anything else. Or Anakin could just be going there to ask for a ship and then off to uncharted space.

We will find out soon. Very soon.

Darth_Lex This is what I get for posting after so many others. Especially leia_naberrie. Tough act to follow?

Tell me about it! Try writing another post after a review like that! LOL!

Suffice it to say that this was one of my favorite chapters of WOC. Between the pregnancy revelation and the ?baptism? in the fresher, it sets Anakin on an entirely new course.

*jumps up and down* Mine, too! Mine, too!

It?s always good to see the strategist in Vader making an appearance. And also an important lesson there about the future Emperor too. (Not that Vader ever listens: ?I told you to wait with the fleet.?) And yet what choice does Anakin have but to strike some sort of deal?

You know, I had completely forgotten about that quote from the OT! Interesting. But just hink how young anakin is in this story - the age of your average college sophomore or junior - kinda boggles the mind, doesn't it?

The return of the life-Force transference was a surprise? And given Anakin?s penchant for wanting to control things, this is a very powerful statement about his love for Padmé.

Right you are!

At some point he
  5. Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Still staring at Anakin incredulously, Padmé unconsciously squared her shoulders and raised her chin. A faint flush began to spread over her deathly pale cheeks.

Of course that would lift her spirits, learning that she has something to live for. However, hopefully Palpatine won't sense this new development...or, if he does, he might not feel the need to kill her quite yet...

Musingly,
    JS

6. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    Ahhh! At last the muse offers up a reply worthy of this thread.
    Regarding the fact that we don't see Padme's reaction to the actual death of Bale', somethigs are more powerful left unsaid...

I'm lifting this directly from my reply to a person in the WRF in regards to using language/profanity... I hope it makes sense here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is sometimes it's what we don't see, the shadows around the corners... where our minds are left to see for ourselves that can be more powerful in the long run. We saw the aftermath for Padme, the utter devistation (and shared in Anakin's willing her back from the edge). There is amazing power in that... We don't need to see the car wreck that Padme experinced, the simple sight of her curled up on her bed was evidence enough. There-in lies the fine art of story telling.. show, not tell... share and guide, don't grab a person by the head and slam thier face into things... there is no need when the story is as well crafted as this.

7. geo3 Force Ghost

star 4
    Jazz_Skywalker hopefully Palpatine won't sense this new development...or, if he does, he might not feel the need to kill her quite yet...

Ummm? the new Chapter is up below. Let?s see how well you are served by your insight!

DarthBreezy I guess what I'm trying to say is sometimes it's what we don't see, the shadows around the corners... where our minds are left to see for ourselves that can be more powerful in the long run. We saw the aftermath for Padmé, the utter devastation (and shared in Anakin's willing her back from the edge). There is amazing power in that... We don't need to see the car wreck that Padmé experienced, the simple sight of her curled up on her bed was evidence enough. There-in lies the fine art of story telling? show, not tell... share and guide, don't grab a person by the head and slam their face into things... there is no need when the story is as well crafted as this.

Thanks for this, hon. I agree? I have always tried to follow that simple edict from Storywriting 101: show, don?t tell. Ultimately it makes the difference between a dissertation and a story. I?m really glad you think it worked.

And now we have arrived at the second-to-last chapter in the Winds of Change story. There will be one more post after this. I am posting this chapter in its entirety, because I think the two scenes of which it is comprised need to be read together.

Chapter 46. The Bargain

Supreme Chancellor Palpatine watched impassively as the vast doors to the Throne Room of the Palace at Theed swung open of their own accord. Even if Skywalker had not formally requested this appointment, he still would have known by whose will the Force pushed those heavy doors apart. The boy?s presence was unmistakable. His purpose, although it had not been stated in the message, was equally clear.

He was coming to bargain for Senator Amidala?s life.

Palpatine had not doubted that the boy would go in search of the young Senator, particularly once he was again armed. Skywalker quite obviously had felt empowered the moment he had held the dead Jedi?s lightsaber in his hand. As indeed he should.

And of course, steps had been taken to ensure that the Senator was easily found.

Palpatine had anticipated that there would be a rescue attempt. He had predicted that it would be dramatic, clever, quick and powerful ? and of course, ultimately tragic. He had pictured vividly the untimely death of the popular Senator, perhaps in her lover?s arms; the anguish, the grief, and ultimately the white-hot implosion of rage and despair in Anakin.

And then the boy would have had no one, and nowhere to go, and no purpose to his life.

And he, Palpatine, would have stepped in, as comforter, savior, and ultimately, Master.

All too easy.

But instead, he had received that unexpected request for a meeting.

Under different circumstances ? in the aftermath of tragedy, for example ? they would have met in cozier, more intimate circumstances, as indeed they had this afternoon.

But Skywalker had chosen to take a different approach to his otherwise predictable goal. He was apparently prepared to negotiate, rather than acting independently and rebelliously. To give and take, rather than simply taking.

The boy?s strategy didn?t seem in character. It struck Palpatine as studied. Deliberate. Well-thought out. That was the way Skywalker operated when he worked; but after the boy?s emotional conflagration earlier today, he certainly would not have expected him to take such a rational and cautious approach when his personal stake in the outcome was so high.

There is something else behind this.

And so he had arranged the meeting with Skywalker in the grand, symbolic surroundings of the Throne Room. It was a setting that would leave the boy in no doubt of their respective roles ? a setting that would not allow Anakin to misconstrue the depth of their intimacy, or to presume on the relationship Palpatine had so carefully cultivated with him.

The do
  8. qingauk Jedi Master

star 4
    My emotions are just reeling. Truly magnificent and yet evil but with hope and yet despair. This is not the ending I would have predicted but certainly hoped they would be together. You have the characters so down pat and their love bond so real with the sacrifice he has made. You have written his love for her in such a powerful manner. It is just the best and more than worthy of best winter story! This definitely deserves a hard cover and to be on the shelves of Borders! Try it Geo3.. give the manuscript a try..what is there to lose?
  9. PhoenixMage Jedi Knight

star 3
    Next post is the last post? *Pouts*

On this post: Meep. Palpatine's deceptions and twistings and evil stuff is going too far. I don't know why Anakin agreed to it. Why didn't they just run away? Then they wouldn't be subject to Palpatine's twistings.
  10. Ana_Labris Jedi Master

star 4
    Palpatine you malignant ****-pig! I love Vader but how I hate you, you Hutt-slime!

They had walked, surely, clinging together like frightened children.
    That line made me cry.
    ?I don?t know why you love me,? Padmé murmured against his mouth. ?Why you would take on all this.?
    I loved his reply to this one.
    Nice music for the second part is www.nothingandnowhere.com and enter the flash site.. it's beautiful and sad. You can also go to the music clips and play 'Promise Me'.
    *rereads the post and feels heartbroken*
  11. Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    In the end, she had even cost Anakin his precious, hard-won freedom.

I will always protect you, he had vowed. And he always had. And each time, he had paid a terrible price.

Oh, man, that's even worse than I expected. But atleast he did it for her sake, not for the want of more power...

JS
  12. NinjaSkywalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    Meeting with palpy, part 2...
    Anakin: Hey, your excelency, I have someone I want you to meet...
    Palpy: Oh? (steps towards Anakin)
    Ani: Yes. (reaches behind himself, as Palpy steps closer) Say hello to my little friend! (pulls out lightsaber, ignites into palpatine)
    Palpy: (dies)

That's the way I imagine it, at least :)
  13. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    NinjaSkywalker, ahh the joys of being omnipitant (as readers). Yes, we would ALL love to see Anakin run Palpy through, run away with Padme and live happily ever after.

Oh, by the way, as far as our characters know, Palpatine is a good man (as far as the masses go) who has taken up the unwanted reigns of leadership during a time of war. The Jedi are bumbleing fools who
    couldn't even excersise crowd control during a riot,and indeed, are trying to kill off one of their own. If Anakin, (a Jedi... untrustworthy beings that they are) Kills our beloved leader in cold blood and rescues a traitor to the Republic, well I think he could set the record on highest bounty in the known Galaxy.

We as the readers have the advantage here that the direct characters (indeed, the whole Galaxy) do not. We see that the Jedi are being set up to play the fall guy, that Padme was honestly trying to save the Galaxy from a tyrant, Anakin was playing a desperate game of Sabbac that he has no chance of winning (the house cards are not only marked but heavily stacked by the dealer). If someone had a time machien and sped back 75 years and murdered Adolf Hitler, they would be condemed as a criminal for killing someone that in the begining was seen by Germany as a strong leader who was only interested in rebuilding his war torn country.

Anakin did the very best thing he could in the circumstances he was in, and to me, this chapter not only seals his fate, but ultimately his redemption as well...
  14. stacysatrip Jedi Master

star 4
    ...And one more nail is driven into the coffin.

First, as to the post as a whole, it was brilliantly done as always. You capture the underlying tension and even fear beneath the facade of confidence so very well. And you write Palpy like no other--he's so deliciously manipulative and calculating and pure, dark evil. I'm going right now to watch Return of the Jedi just to see the wrinkly little worm get his comeuppance (and I think it's such a grand example of karma to see who eventually hands it to him). You even managed to convey a little bit of fear beneath Palpy's self-assuredness; fear of Anakin's unpredictability, fear of his immense power, and fear of his offspring.

Oh you vile, vile little man. One of these days you will be so UNBELIEVABLY sorry!!!!!!!

Now on to my Anakin. I have always held out hope that the reason for his turn was a far more noble intention than just a lust for power, as Obi-Wan and Yoda seemed to believe in the OT. His actions in this post really make some of his final words all the more poignant and haunting:

"Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends.

I don't believe that he yet realizes what is about to take him over; in fact, I think that he believes he can fight it. Perhaps as long as Padmé lives, he can. But I think your explanation as to his motivation for serving Palps is the most logical. He does it to save the love of his life.

?I?ll never stop looking for a way out.?

I hear that throwing people down reactor shafts works well, my dear.

I also very much appreciate that in the midst of all the angst of this post, you did treat us to a nice A/P moment. No, it's not upbeat and carefree. It's no meadow picnic. But it is them coming together and drawing strength and courage from one another. It was also somewhat ironic to see Anakin be the one to finally realize that, sometimes, circumstances are beyond anyone's control. It's a 180 shift from Padmé telling him so long ago that sometimes there are things no one can fix. I know that he'll try, but at least he now realizes what his mom told him.

"You can't stop the change, any more than you can stop the suns from setting.

This chapter really sums up why this story was entitled Winds of Change.

I'm sad to see this story come to and end, though all good things must. I hope that you're planning on writing more in the future. Lovely, lovely job. You are the Queen!
  15. diamond_pony2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    Awwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!! That was kinda sad!
  16. Mr_Boba_Jango Force Ghost

star 3

Beautiful, Geo, just beautiful.

You are what being a Defender of the love story is all about! Those who would prefer a story where Anakin sacrifices Padme for power and greed really need to read this fic. This is everything I wanted the PT to be. A story of love, tremendous sacrifice, and ultimately of tragedy.

Regardless of how GL decides to mold Episode 3, I will always see Vader now with this story in mind.

Thank you.

17. JAGSGURL15 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh so sweet... So beautifull... Awwww..

that was precious!

Great Job Geo
  18. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm catching up, geo, and what can I say?

:_| :_| :_|

Anakin loves Padme enough to sacrifice his soul for her--and I'm not sure he even knows what he's getting into. Or maybe he does. You don't know the power of the Dark Side. I must obey my Master.

And all he wanted was to live with her as a family.

Poor Padme, dealing with false charges and the knowledge that her husband has had to do this.
  19. MissPadme Jedi Master

star 4
    Step into my parlor said the spider to the fly...

As I guessed, Anakin all but signs his name in blood, selling his soul to save Padmé and his child. Doing the absolute wrong thing for all the right reasons.

He had kept his own secrets and his own counsel, demonstrating quite clearly that he was loyal only to himself. That was a dangerous trait in a servant.

Loyal to himself and anyone else with the surname "Skywalker." There's your end right there, Palpie.

Very bittersweet and tender moment between these two doomed lovebirds.

--MissPadme
  20. Darth_Lamblike Jedi Knight

Beautiful, just beautiful! *Damns Palpy for the umpteenth time in this fic*

OK, things are really bleak, but those two little buns in the oven are bringing us hope. :D Good thing I know how this whole series ends otherwise I'd be heavily despairing. Can't wait for the next post!

Great job, once again!
  21. DarthSon Jedi Master

star 2
    I am catching up to this, and this post is incredibly heart breaking. Anakin realizing at the end just what he has done, and who he is now serving. Just so tragic. I'm going to re read the last post. Excellent addition geo.
  22. aotc02 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I don't want this fic to end. :(

This chapter really shows how evil Palpatine has become. He's exactly like we know him from the OT.
    Unfortunately, Anakin has just made a deal with the worst person in the universe. Padmé is safe for now, but Anakin is doomed to fall into darkness. Anakin and Padmé may have some hope left but the readers know what is going to happen. :_|

Great post and I can't wait to read the last chapter for this wonderful and amazing story!
  23. GunraysLawyer Jedi Master

star 4
    "I am the spirit that says No..." Mephistopheles in Goethe's Faust

?I?m certain that you will serve me well.?

Palpatine, Geo3's "Winds of Change"

So alike, yet so different...

I must say that this chapter is sublime. I again stand in jaw dropping awe of of the author's abilities.

She succeeds in reinforcing that Palpatine is uttterly evil. He is not Dante's Satan trapped in evil by his own despair about an inability to ever be forgiven his betrayal or Goethe's Mephistopheles with his 'all is dust and worthless' so why not despair and do evil attitude. Instead, he is simply darkness incarnate.

The truly wonderful thing here has two heads...

First, despite this, Palpatine is never a moustache twirling cariacture in a black top hat tying Padme to the railway tracks. Instead, he is a keen strategist acting ruthlessly and correctly from his own point of view.

Second, Anakin is not evil in this sense. It's Anakin making a deal with the devil, and he knows, too late, exactly what he will have to do. This ensures that the current despair both he and his wife feel will never quite go away. She will blame herself, and Anakin will be seduced by the darkness.

Interestingly, I doubt that he will ever lose sight of his goal in starting it to begin with...

This set up makes him conniving to let Padme go into hiding much more likely than any other set up that I have read. It also makes it easier to see Padme simply fading away after Anakin is 'killed.' Though, no matter what he does, she'll always love him, and blame herself.

Tragedy.

All avoidable with different actions or attitudes by the Jedi, Anakin, and Padme.

Of course, that would require Prof. Moria...I mean Palapatine to not quite be the level of evil genius that he is...but where's the fun in that? :)

Finally, is Sabe going to whereever Brith is hiding, assuming that he didn't leave with the Jedi?

I wonder how the end will play out....
  24. Jedi_Jen Jedi Master

star 1
    Excellent post geo3!
    I hate Palpy, but I love reading from his point of view. His evil is so fascinating.
    Poor Anakin and Padme. This is heartbreaking. :(
  25. A-Windsor Jedi Knight

star 3
    :(

A star did die... And Anakin should know, but I bet he hasn't looked up at those stars in a while...

And they still believe it is only one child... Which would explain Vader's complete and utter lack of knowledge of Leia...

A. Windsor
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.