main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Wingman (post-Invincible, J/J) *Invincible Spoilers* Complete 12/6

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by TKeira_Lea, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Title: Wingman
    Author: T?Keira Lea
    Timeframe: post-Invincible
    Characters: Jagged Fel, Jaina Solo
    Genre: Canon speculation
    Keywords: Jaina, Jag, Legacy
    Notes: Six parts
    Summary: The epilogue every J/J fan wanted at the end of Invincible.

[image=http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/jainajagindex/By%20BigFatty/jji3.gif]

Disclaimer: Lucasfilm owns all the rights to Star Wars. I don?t. No infringement is intended or profit to be made by me.

Welcome to my speculation piece, which picks up at the end of Invincible. Besides this initial post, I have completely written the second and fourth (and final) scene. I will post Part Two on Tuesday, June 10th. I do not send PMs for updates.

Again, thanks ahead of time to Darth_Lex for betaing this story and to my many fans whose enthusiasm has kept me writing.

2. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    WINGMAN

Part One
    one standard day after Chief of State Daala?s inaugural address?

She was only a couple of hours out of the bacta mist, and Jaina?s body already was beginning to protest contact with the medbunk. The combination of new skin and ceaseless attempts to find some position that was comfortable weren?t helping matters any. Her ribs ached. Her sternum throbbed; each breath came mildly painful at best, agonizing at worst. Her broken arm, immobilized in a bactacast, insisted on resting at a contorted angle. Her legs cramped intermittently. Her head pounded constantly.

Only moments before, Cilghal had left the convalescence suite. Jaina was still having trouble processing the myriad of medical treatments the Jedi Master had outlined to mend her broken body. A week straight of bacta dips, broken only by one surgical procedure after the next. Even then, they would have merely mended her body mechanically. It might be months before the resources would be available to fully repair the damage to her face.

She couldn?t think about the shallow crater of her crushed cheekbone, or the hideous scar that drew attention to it even to the casual observer. And her hair?

The suite faded in a watery blur. Jaina turned her uninjured cheek to rest on the pillow. She shut her eyes, banishing the tears back from whence they came. Just beyond the door, voices carried on a whispered discussion. Jedi perceptions allowed her to catch fragments without even trying.

? any faster? ... hard on her ? resources just aren?t available ... bacta supplies at a premium ?

Finally her father, crystal clear. ?That?s no kriffing excuse! How much more does she have to sacrifice??

With simply a thought, Jaina willed the vidscreen?s volume louder. She returned her stare straight ahead, and tried to focus on a program her father had chosen: an odd narrative series about the perils of tohalia crab fishing in the Hoth ice-seas. She couldn?t imagine who had time to watch such a thing. But that wasn?t as bizarre as the notion of what it would be like to have a holocam detailing your every move, only to have some random being edit the footage to increase the dramatic flair to mythical proportions.

She flicked the channel. Tree-fellers on Endor. Flick. The familial relationships of Tatooine desert-dwelling rodents. Flick.

??news today, the peace conference stalled when the Alliance delegation leaders failed to reach agreement regarding Admiral Niathal?s status in the ??

?So,? came her father?s voice, ?how about a game of Falcon Command??

Jaina continued to study the vidscreen. ?You hate the idea of that game.?

Han walked across the room and blocked her view. ?I hate the idea of watching politicians at work even more.?

The volume on the display began to soften and the channel flicked back to the tree-fellers of its own accord. Her mother drifted into view, hovering over the medbunk. ?Liar. You don?t mind watching this politician.?

?Yeah, well, at least you?ve got some good moves, Princess.?

?Do you two need to get a room?? Jaina appreciated that her parents were doing their best these days to keep things lighthearted, but the trying to remind each other that there were things to live for, like each other, was just a little too desperate, and it only succeeded in producing a sinking feeling in her gut. Sometimes it sure didn?t seem like there was much left for Jaina to live for. Maybe the Sword of the Jedi really was meant to stand alone forever, not just in the battle to the death with Caedus.

?Maybe I?ll take you up on that game of Falcon Command, Dad.?

From the suite?s entrance, and male voice replied. ?Would you be upset if I patched in as your wingman instead??

?Jag.? Jaina couldn?t stop the smile forming on her lips ? even if it did hurt like the Corellian Hells.

?Sorry I couldn?t get here sooner.? He crossed the room straight to her, and without the slightest hesitation bent over and placed his lips very gently against her br

3. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    1st!

Oh wow! That was heart wrenching! Amazing as usual. Can't wait for more!

And... It's SOOOO good to see you back posting again!

4. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    Welcome back TKL!

[:D]

Oh, this was just right. United in grief over the loss of their friend. *sigh*

Wonderful, simply wonderful.

Looking forward to the next bit.

Give DRL a kick in the shebs from me.

CJM

5. Jainasolo101

Jainasolo101 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 23, 2007
    Wow.
    This is great.

Jaina and Jag both together but the sad part is that they are in pain.:_|

*wipe tears*

Can't wait till next post.:D

Please pm me!

Thanks.

6. Jedimaster_JainaSolo

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2003
    Awesome post! That was precious, yet heartbreaking at the same time.

And I agree, great to see you posting again!

[face_cowboy]Dana[face_cowboy]

7. TelannaTani

TelannaTani Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 28, 2005
    *bounce* A new story. :D

Once again, I am drawn into your writing quick and completely. Jaina's recovery is slow and real, showing just how close to death she must have been. But because I've been living on spoilers for the past, well, for a while, I haven't got to Invincible yet. What happened to her hair? [face_worried] The other injuries are fairly self-explanatory.:(

"I will never leave you. ~ Jag [face_love]

I love the subtle affirmations of their relationship's status. She takes it in silently, then moves on quickly, not sure she's actually hearing and understanding his declaration, not sure it's real, waiting for the other shoe to fall. Then, when the bad news does finally reveal itself, their mutual pain and suffering hits you - like a car hitting a wall at high speed, broken and battered afterward.

Well that was a... fluidic response. Apparently you inspire me to write prose in everyday language. :confused:

Huh. Whodathunk. :p [face_laugh]

Good to read your writing again, TKL. I have missed it. [:D]

Voz

8. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Beautiful! [face_love] It's great to see you back TKL! :D [:D]

And Zekk! :_| :_| I've grown to love him! And now he's just gone! :(

I can't wait to see what else you come up with. :D

9. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Oh! This is so tender and when he is holding her:_|!
    From the book we know she was seriously injured but you really filled in what we were missing on the pages.
    You can feel how fragile she is and I loved Jag holding her when they both needed it most.

Best of all - "I will never leave you"! =D=
    I heart Falcon Command! Dang it! I want to play and can I have Jag as my wingman?? [face_love] [:D]
    Will be standing by on the 10th for the next installment. =D=

10. carr3107

carr3107 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2008
    I am just loving this story. Characterization is spot on. Perfect.

11. lurker2209

lurker2209 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    This is really good. You've captured the slow, agonizing tone of this recovery. Not just Jaina's, but the galaxy's. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

12. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    Looks promising.

Oh, I jumped back and read your entire The Courtship of Jag Fel today. Awesome story.

13. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Wow... This was wonderful. =D=

I can't wait for more.

FL @};-

14. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    All those injuries that Jaina suffered during her fight with Jacen make me want to hurt Troy Denning :mad:

I hope she will heal all those injuries [face_praying]

And Zekk is dead. Not that I cared for him anyway :p

Too bad that Jaina and Jag have to go thru all this pain again. :(

It's great to once again read your stories ( even if they are short one ) :D

15. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    So. TKL you know i love your stuff but maybe it the late hour or maybe i'm just addled but were you insinuating that something happened to Wedge?

Or was it just a segueway into the conversation about Zekk and Wedge is fine?

Also--love how Jag just waltzed in and was right at home (and you know despite his irritating qualities, Zekk was pretty great near the end of the series).

16. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    GOOD MORNING!

Replies all around :) Thanks again to everyone who responded. [:D}

JAGSGURL15: 1st!
    It?s fitting that you were first :D

Oh wow! That was heart wrenching! Amazing as usual.
    Thanks.

And... It's SOOOO good to see you back posting again!
    It?s good to be back. Go DOOK! [face_devil]

canadianjedimama: Oh, this was just right. United in grief over the loss of their friend. *sigh*
    *Sigh* I can only imagine that on many levels Jag would be heartbroken, for Jaina and because he lost a friend.

Give DRL a kick in the shebs from me.
    *kicking* :D

Jainasolo101 : This is great.
    Thanks!

Jaina and Jag both together but the sad part is that they are in pain.
    Honestly, despite my record for tragedy in J/J land this will end happily.

Jedimaster_JainaSolo: Awesome post! That was precious, yet heartbreaking at the same time.
    I?m glad the bittersweet moment is coming across [face_crying]

Voz: Once again, I am drawn into your writing quick and completely. Jaina's recovery is slow and real, showing just how close to death she must have been. But because I've been living on spoilers for the past, well, for a while, I haven't got to Invincible yet. What happened to her hair? The other injuries are fairly self-explanatory.
    Jaina?s hair got a bit?toasty.

I love the subtle affirmations of their relationship's status. She takes it in silently, then moves on quickly, not sure she's actually hearing and understanding his declaration, not sure it's real, waiting for the other shoe to fall. Then, when the bad news does finally reveal itself, their mutual pain and suffering hits you - like a car hitting a wall at high speed, broken and battered afterward.

Well that was a... fluidic response. Apparently you inspire me to write prose in everyday language.

I have to say that the words just flowed from you there. Well said, you caught the emotion I was going for just right =D= Really! You should post more stories ;)

Jaina_and_Jag: Beautiful! It's great to see you back TKL!
    Why thank you!

And Zekk! I've grown to love him! And now he's just gone!
    I?ve always enjoyed Zekk. He?s sort of an interesting tragic character. I?ve never felt it was going to end well for him.

Jag4Me: Oh! This is so tender and when he is holding her !
    From the book we know she was seriously injured but you really filled in what we were missing on the pages.

I kind of like when books don?t give us too much because then we can play a bit with it in fanfic.

You can feel how fragile she is and I loved Jag holding her when they both needed it most.
    Fragile is a good word. I can?t imagine how all this would affect her, and being injured tends to drag the soul down a bit. She?s definitely in a bit of a soft spot for Jaina.

I heart Falcon Command! Dang it! I want to play and can I have Jag as my wingman??
    I think we all want Jag for our wingman. [face_love]

carr3107: I am just loving this story. Characterization is spot on. Perfect.
    You?re too kind but thank you. Characterization, as true to canon as I can get, is what I really try to go for so I appreciate that you mentioned it. When I write the characters do the scenes, and I just let them go for it as opposed to dictating the story to them.

lurker2209: This is really good. You've captured the slow, agonizing tone of this recovery. Not just Jaina's, but the galaxy's.
    This story is definitely about recovery ? Jaina?s especially. Jag?s on some level.

princess_of_naboo: Looks promising.
    A little short but the next one is longer, promise.

Oh, I jumped back and read your entire The Courtship of Jag Fel today. Awesome story.
    Thank you. I?ll pass that along to Lex. We just loved writing that story.

Flowerlady: Wow... This was wonderful.
    Thank you!

I can't wait for mor

17. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    This is looking good! Please add me to your PM list. :D

18. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    I think I?ll invoke the beta?s slow-reply privilege. :oops: 8-}

one standard day after Chief of State Daala?s inaugural address?
    You know, after all the ranting and raving I?ve read over in Lit, it?s refreshing to remember all the great possibilities there are just taking canon as it is, without having to ?AU away? all the thing we don?t like, from the significant to the inconsequential. The Daala thing is a bit perplexing, but so what? It doesn?t get in the way of some great story ideas. :cool:

It might be months before the resources would be available to fully repair the damage to her face.
    :_| :_| :_| No! Not her beautiful face! :_|

Seriously, though, you did a great job portraying Jaina?s POV on her injuries. She tries not to think about them to much, but in the end she can?t help it. :(

She couldn?t imagine who had time to watch such a thing.
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] So true. :p

?You hate the idea of that game.?
    Such a great subtle line that show the characterization so well. It?s not just that Han hates the game, he hates the entire concept of the game. A whole different level. Well done. =D=

Jaina couldn?t stop the smile forming on her lips ? even if it did hurt like the Corellian Hells.
    Now that?s love. [face_love]

She had just decided to give the first person through the door a piece of her mind on that very subject
    [face_laugh] Oh, that?s so Jaina. [face_devil] I love it.

?He?s all alone out there. I left him.?
    And finally we get to the core of it. Rationally, Jaina knows Luke and Jag are exactly right. In her heart, though, she blames herself for leaving Zekk out there ? even though, rationally, she knows she had to because stopping Caedus was more important (and Zekk himself would have wanted her to leave him and get Caedus). It?s a great parallel to that sharp pang of irrational survivor?s guilt that Jaina feels during the talk with Fett when she realizes she might have left Mirta alive back on Nickel One. She made the right decision both times, but that doesn?t mean it doesn?t hurt. :(

Fantastic post! Can?t wait for the next one! :D

19. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    [face_shame_on_you] "Scars are better conversation starters at parties." Jag Fel (Exile, wasn't it?)

:D

CJM

20. jadesabre75

jadesabre75 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 14, 2007
    Damn....I love your stories!!! Yes, this is so what I wanted to see in the book. Awesome job! Can't wait to read more today!

21. angry_bendu1

angry_bendu1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2007
    No kidding that I wish this was in the book!!;)

Fantastic job and please pm me when you update. Thanks!:D

[face_peace]

22. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    When it comes to Men - YES

When it comes to Women - NO

23. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Good Evening!

Some replies. I'll post in about 30 minutes :D

Sticks: This is looking good! Please add me to your PM list.

Thanks so much for reading. I don't send out PMs but the story is more or less completed and will be posted on schedule.

Lex: The Daala thing is a bit perplexing, but so what? It doesn?t get in the way of some great story ideas.

Yeah, well, I'm sticking with canon so I'll run with it. Honestly I've mulled it over and it's sort of like the last few presidential elections. Is there truly a good choice for CoS?

Seriously, though, you did a great job portraying Jaina?s POV on her injuries. She tries not to think about them to much, but in the end she can?t help it.

She's a woman; vanity is just part of who she it.

It?s a great parallel to that sharp pang of irrational survivor?s guilt that Jaina feels during the talk with Fett when she realizes she might have left Mirta alive back on Nickel One. She made the right decision both times, but that doesn?t mean it doesn?t hurt.

I'm sure there was enough survivor's guilt to go around in that room. :(

canadianjedimama: "Scars are better conversation starters at parties." Jag Fel (Exile, wasn't it?)

Yeah, Jag looks good with that scar, but I agree with Chimpo on this one. [face_monkey]

jadesabre75: Damn....I love your stories!!!

Why, thanks!!! :D [:D]

Yes, this is so what I wanted to see in the book.

You couldn't have given me any better compliment [face_blush]

angry_bendu1: No kidding that I wish this was in the book!!

Two awesome compliments in a row!

*faints*

Chimpo_the_Sith: When it comes to Men - YES

When it comes to Women - NO

I so agree ;)

Thanks, all! Back shortly...

24. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Part Two
    three days later?

The starless darkness of the Transitory Mists loomed as a gloomy backdrop beyond the soft glow of the magcon emitters lining the Healing Seas? ceremonial bay. Most larger naval vessels had one, kept pristine for significant events such as receiving dignitaries or field promotions. This bay, though, bore witness to the ravages of war. Unseemly scorch marks pocked the durasteel walls; the chamber still stank of melted metal. And then there was the gathering of warriors standing in an informal array ? some Jedi, their robes still singed from battle; others uniformed officers, who appeared to not have seen a sanisteam in days . The deep weight of sorrow smothered them all.

Everyone had lost too much. Now, days after farewells had been made to all the other fallen comrades, the living remembered yet another life given back to the Force. In an unprecedented move, Kyp Durron presided over the ceremony. Leia was sure that was because her daughter had asked him specifically. There were very few people who Jaina could turn to, but the scruffy Jedi Master had been a steadfast mentor to his former apprentice, especially since Mara had died. His closing remarks sounded more like an expression of the true friend?s loving remembrance, and Leia wondered if Kyp wasn?t just channeling Jaina?s thoughts on her behalf.

Leia glanced at her daughter, trying to see around the hood that concealed Jaina?s features, but she was staying hidden within the dark folds of brown fabric. For the last few days, since Zekk had been declared killed in action, Jaina had been an unreadable mask to Force-blind and Jedi alike. They had delayed the ceremony until she had been declared physically fit enough to attend, but even now, even being her mother, Leia was unsure how a perfectly whole person could have stood upright with so much emotional pain crushing her soul.

Yet Jaina did just that, the only sign of her fragile state the white knuckled grip she kept on the man at her side. Once, long ago, that support undoubtedly would have been Han. Later, Jacen had been the quiet comfort that buoyed her spirits in somber times. Now, it was Jagged Fel who acted as her anchor and shield.

Kyp finished speaking. Leia sensed the rising swell of emotional release into the Force that was customary for grieving Jedi. The moment of silence lengthened until the Force-blind became uncomfortable, glancing side to side or rocking around on the balls of their feet. Jedi were bonding, sharing their pain and then releasing it into the Force, and Leia wanted to have nothing to do with it.

Apparently, neither did Jaina. She stepped forward, then slowly reached out to the remembrance box hovering before Kyp.

?Miss you,? she whispered, before nodding to the Jedi Master.

Kyp stepped aside, and in unison twelve Jedi Knights strode in two lines past Leia, past Jaina. The last pair motioned subtly with their hands and the remembrance box drifted along between the processional. The Jedi escorted the remembrance box to the magcon barrier. Then, in a synchronous snap-hiss, the first five Jedi pairs ignited their lightsabers, creating a tunnel through which the box passed.

They?ve had too much practice at this, Leia thought, watching the box fuzz blue and pass effortlessly out into the vacuum of space.

No body?just a box?all alone? remember forever. Thank you. Those weren?t Leia?s thoughts, though, and her eyes snapped to Jaina, wondering if the walls had broken. She half-expected to see her daughter slumped on the ground, but she wasn?t. Back still straight, Jaina pivoted, her damp brown eyes meeting Leia?s for an instant before she and Jag moved for the exit.

?Come on,? Han said.

Briefly, Leia wondered how she had gone through the whole ceremony without acknowledging he was there. Then she felt a tug on her hand, the one he had been clutching all along, and realized Han was so much a part of her she didn?t need to.

Leading the way, Han zigged left, zagge

25. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Awesome! :D I just love the glimpse of the old Jaina we got with her flying the Falcon. [face_love] So this is how the broken family begins to heal..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.