main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends ?Wingmates? ? Jaina/Lowie, after ?Bloodlines? [ISSR]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thrawn McEwok, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    [The ?ISSR? tag in the header means that this ?fic contains at least implications of:

Romantic relations between a human and a Wookiee.

Just so you know! :p ;) [face_peace]]

A lone X-wing raced across the jagged moonscape, following a low, fast course amid the sharp-edged contours of the airless terrain.

Ahead, a sawback ridge cut across the horizon ? an unbroken upthrust of hard rock, with no way for a starfighter to sneak through it below the enemy?s sensor scans.

At the last moment, the pilot yanked back the controls, and the fighter stood up above the crest of the ridge. Mashing her thumbs down on the firing-triggers, she sent two proton torpedoes hurtling towards a target on the distant horizon.

As soon as the torpedoes had snapped clear of the launchers, she hauled the stick back again, shearing away in a sharp spin-snap that lifted her starboard wings, and bared her belly to enemy flak for just a moment.

As laser tracer stitched bright seams through the night, she jockeyed the controls aggressively, and flipped the fighter right over, slamming back down into the ground cover and fleeing the target at maximum acceleration ? flying upside-down, her cockpit canopy almost grazing the rocky ground.

For a moment, her lips murmured, but the look in her dark eyes remained sharp-focused. She steered the fighter deeper into the canyons and crevasses, negotiating the tight, airless terrain with silent control, guided only by an urge to get the kark out of the danger zone.

Eventually, she flipped herself back upright, and turned her fighter?s head back round towards her base. Her eyes flickered to the readout display in front of her, seeing her astromech?s report of the torpedoes? fate ? one intercepted by enemy tracer, the other impacted on the target.

Not bad going ? or at least, it would have been acceptable, if this had been a real mission, rather than a meaningless simulation in the Centax 2 training ranges.

Jaina Solo let out an angry snarl. Officially, she was still a colonel in the Defense Force ? officially, she was still in charge of Rogue Squadron, the most prestigious fighter command in the Galaxy. But her brother had broken her out of the military in all but the most technical sense ? sent her home in disgrace from the Fleet, for refusing to bow to his bloodthirsty interpretation of the rules of engagement.

Bloodthirsty? she wondered. The word fitted Jacen strangely well.

She frowned, more mildly than she might have, and saw the base complex appear on the horizon up ahead.

Centax 2 was a small moon, and after three weeks of intensive flying, it was starting to feel distinctly cramped; but it was the only place she was currently allowed to fly in anything even resembling combat scenarios ? and even that was largely down to a sympathetic base commander, who?d chosen not to point out to his superiors that Colonel Solo, suspended from flight duty by the military, was hogging every cockpit slot she could claim under her alternative identity as a Jedi Knight.

It still wasn?t as much as she?d have liked. With the military on a wartime footing and new GAG pilots cycling through the base by the squadron, the training times allowed to Jedi had been drastically curtailed. And with all of the Jedi?s front-line fighters serving with the fleet, she was flying her own personal plane, an old XJ3 from the Yuuzhan Vong war.

Jaina flicked the safeties off her laser triggers, and decided to cheer herself up by strafing the first target she could find.

In response, the base control tower flashed into her targeting reticule, and she sighed and shook her head, reluctantly relaxing.

?Knight Eleven,? came the voice of a flight ops officer, calm and amused in her ears. ?Did you just target-lock our control tower.?

?Copy, Control,? she answered tersely. ?Getting twitchy. Didn?t mean it personally.?

?That?s okay, Eleven.? There was a laugh in the controller?s voice. ?We could tell you were distracted by som

2. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    NIce start.

3. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    It's a one-post 'fic. :p

But thanks! :cool: :D

- The Imperial Ewok

4. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Awwwwww! :) :D

Gotta love Thanksgiving day Jaina/Lowie... mush? Well, okay not exactly mush, but very, very nice regardless. Characterizations were dead on, as per usual with your work. I'm not quite sure how to fully voice my enjoyment of this, but it was just what I needed to read after a big meal. The reader gets a very real sense of two old friends who border on being more than that, though neither quite knows how to express the "more" aspects. It's touching and heartfelt in the best traditions of Star Wars. =D= =D=

Most impressive, my furry, Imperial friend. :)

JD.

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Very nicely done.

?Knight Eleven,? came the voice of a flight ops officer, calm and amused in her ears. ?Did you just target-lock our control tower.?

?Copy, Control,? she answered tersely. ?Getting twitchy. Didn?t mean it personally.?

Ha!!! :D :D

?I ought to have detected you through the Force.?

She certainly should have. o_O Distracted much?

Sounds like she very much needs a friend. I can relate.

6. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    JDH3: Awwwwww! :) :D

Glad you liked it!!! :D [face_dancing] :cool:

Gotta love Thanksgiving day Jaina/Lowie... mush? Well, okay not exactly mush, but very, very nice regardless.

Call it "G-rated subversion"? o_O ;) :p

Characterizations were dead on, as per usual with your work. I'm not quite sure how to fully voice my enjoyment of this, but it was just what I needed to read after a big meal. The reader gets a very real sense of two old friends who border on being more than that, though neither quite knows how to express the "more" aspects. It's touching and heartfelt in the best traditions of Star Wars. =D= =D=

[face_blush] Heh. :cool:

I think you implied something in there about realities escaping definitions, and knowledge known but not articulated, which is close to some important themes in Star Wars (and I don't just mean Luke and Leia!! [face_laugh])...

So, thanks for the insightful reply! :cool:

Most impressive, my furry, Imperial friend. :)

Yub yub!!! :p

Healer_Leona: Very nicely done.

Thank you!

Ha!!! :D :D

:p Heh. ;)

She certainly should have. o_O Distracted much?

She was distracted by needing a distraction? o_O :p

Sounds like she very much needs a friend. I can relate.

[:D] She just needs to be reminded that there are more possibilities open to her than she thinks...?

:D [face_peace]

- The Imperial Ewok

7. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    More not-make-sense furry talk. Hulk's head hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.