main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Winner Announced** The JCNGL Presents: The First Jedi Academy Tournament!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Connemara, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    'Tis summer, and we here at TFN's resident gaming league say, "let the games begin!" [face_devil]

This summer promises to be full of gaming fun like you've never seen here before, and I am proud to announce to you the first of such events, a Jedi Academy tournament to take place on Saturday, June 12th, 6 PM Board time. Any member of the Jedi Council is welcome to join, the match will be No Force Free For All, level yet to be determined. The match will take place on our server, IP: Server Changed, see lower posts.

But yes, you did hear right, there will be a prize for the winner, provided by our kind-hearted mod, Night4554. Winner of the tournament gets Three days of VIPship, as well as one week of title and special icon!!!

So be sure to join us, and tell all your JC friends not to miss out on this event either!

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Oh, and I'm playing, and I will be taking the prize (except VIP-ship) if I win [face_devil]

And in case you're wondering, once I find it, the icon will be the "A Winner Is You!" icon. :D

¤Night

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I'm in all right (so long as I'm not working)!

This sounds like a ton of fun and you never know, I just might win! (hahahahahahahaha) :p

Oh I know....if I lose, may I get my VIPship status renewed for 3 days and given the title "Looser" or something along those lines?

4. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Hehe...that would be funny if Night won :p

I, on the other hand, probably won't be playing, since I am so pitiful, I'll just come in and be official score keeper. Because I don't think I can embarrass myself doing that! ;)

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Any reason 1/2 the prize lasts for a week, and the other 1/2 for just 3 days?

6. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I was curious about that, that just seems odd.

Also, how regular are these contests going to be held?

7. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    As for how regurally, I'm not sure, but the reason half the prize is for 3 days and the other half is a week is because the tournament is small to begin with (only one day of playing, probably one or a few matches), and I'm trying to keep the duration of VIP-ship on an even keel with other forums (the Scav Hunt in JCC is a lot more involved than this, but technically, our prize is bigger :D). But I wanted something more than just 3 days of VIPship, to entice people to play, and to garner interest in future tournaments, so I threw in the title and icon for a longer period of time.

¤Night

8. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    One or a few games?

That's HARDLY a tournament then! [face_plain]

tour·na·ment

• A series of contests in which a number of contestants compete and the one that prevails through the final round or that finishes with the best record is declared the winner.
    • A medieval martial sport in which two groups of mounted and armored combatants fought against each other with blunted lances or swords.

Now, how much cooler would it be it TFN funded a world "games get-to-gether" and we settled this with real swords and so-forth?

As for this "one off" fluke tournament champion. pift.

:p

9. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    We could hold it in Stonehenge, British Valour Stylee!
    And if any of those Kiwi's say that 'We should hold it in the world of Lord of the Rings.' They should realise that... well... Tolkien did base it around lovely Birmingham*, and what-not.

Also, will we be using the 'A WINNAR IS YOU!' Avatar from the JK Tourny last year?

And would it be wise to employ a tournament ladder, rather than a random 'OMG!!!!111!! M-M-M-MONSTER KILL' score scheme?

(*warning: this site may contain a rude word)

10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I have been discussing this over the last week with Conne, and here's what I put forth. It explains why things are beginning 'simply' without full tournaments and ladders;

. I've wanted to get games tournaments happening for ever - I organised that WINNER IS ME icon, plus VIPship, but due to circumstances (ie. getting others involved to build community) I wanted some other gamers to actually organise the contest.

This is what I think should happen.
    A pre-planning thread in the forum, where Night states the winner of a forthcoming games tournament gets VIPship & the icon.

This needs to be pre-planned;

What game to play.

Probably JK, JO or JA for starters. Later you can worry about Mots, GBG, XvsT, XWA.

Game type. Probably FFA. Discuss force levels, guns/sabers maps etc. Maybe get Night to put up a poll to gauge guns / sabers and the actual game. For starters play "from the box" levels - no mods.

To draw in players, make it simple (save ladders for future tournaments once these become regular occurences - the idea is just to get something simple up and running as soon as possible, and worry about more complicated rules / tournaments later). eg 1 30 minute JK match, in a single level, ffa, saber & guns, highest score at the end of the 30 mins gets VIPship & the icon for 1 week.

Nothing too complicated. Then, as time goes on, and more people come to expect and look forward to these games every fortnight, you can make things more challenging (ladders, mods, tournaments, rotating levels, guns only - no force etc).

Also, once it's all agreed on, the info should be posted at tfn/games/ and maybe mentioned in the TFn email newsletter to attract newbies from tfn to teh forum community. Maaybe even cross posted at starwars.com's forums.

For an interesting variation, you can even have single player game tourneys for those who can't make a certain game or don't have good pings - say pick an XWA or tie fighter training combat simulator mission, make the players time themselves to complete the mission (and record to the film room), then everyone posts their times in the thread, and the fastest time wins the VIPship, and has their recorded film put on TFN/games/ for everyone to download and view.

With the single player Xwing/tie/XWA game - anyone can enter and they have a week to film the mission and post their scores (or PM their time/score to night so you don't know the 'time to beat'). No complications with meeting times etc. [hr][/blockquote]

So, lets not get bogged down in details at this stage, there's a quick, nasty JA match coming, with a prize. In future, when there're regular matches and growing interest, then you can worry about ladders and mods and what-not.

Start it simple. :)

11. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Still attempting to borrow first JA CD so I can reinstall and play. Might be in for the tourny.

12. CommanderSesfan

CommanderSesfan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I'll be there

13. Billy_Shears

Billy_Shears Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2002
    Word. I'll try to remember.

14. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    "And would it be wise to employ a tournament ladder, rather than a random 'OMG!!!!111!! M-M-M-MONSTER KILL' score scheme?"

That was my thought, too, but JP says start 'em slow, and I do what the gaming guru says. ;)

Also, if you're going to nitpick, then YOU harrass Night to change the title from Tournament to whatever the heck you want, but I honestly don't think anyone cares.

15. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    So anyway, the moral of the story in reply to SC's comment is expect an elimation ladder style tourney later in the summer. :) :-D

Sorry, not awake, just bear with me.

16. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I will be there.Can't wait.
    I haven't played for a really long time. But I will play none the less.

I like the time that was picked. I am always at my gaming prime at 3 in the afternoon. :p

Looking forward to getting pwned.

17. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Yay Chim! Glad to have ya come, haven't gamed with you in a while! :)

18. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Yeah, well I am in.

Yeah you are right Conn. But then again I just haven't gamed for a long time.
    looking forward to getting back into the swing of things...or getting my ass kicked. Same-O Same-O.

19. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    UP...in case anyone hasn't seen this. :)

20. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Hmmmm.... I get off at 5 (board time), so I'm hoping that'll give me enough time to get home and get prepared for battle!

21. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Wow, for some reason I thought that today was the tournament.Wow I need to stop drinking.
    Anyway....
    I hope I can be here for it too. 3 o'clock is a little early for my gaming taste, but whatever.Not to mention the fact that it is right in the middle of the day, so my saturday is basically gone.As before, whatever.

So that is a definite maybe for me.

22. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Actually, Chim, it would be 9 pm your time. You sorta reversed the time zones thing there. :p So it won't ruin your day, never fear. :)

23. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    ohhh im so totaly gonna kill myself when i forget to play :p !

24. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    6 PM EST. I have it locked and blocked off :D

Now I just have to get our server running and make sure I remeber how to play.

Edit: Oh, it's 9 PM EST. Um.

//Locks and Blocks that off instead

:p

¤Night

25. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Why not. It's been years since I've done that, and it was with my roommate back in 97-8 using Jedi Knight.

I'm familiar with the Free-For-All, but by the No-Force I take it we're restricted to the mundane guns, missile launchers, and explosives. No sabers, no Force Powers - active or passive.

Oh, how long does the tournament last? And are there any specified rules yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.