main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Winners Never Quit, but The End Is Near: The Thread for Fans of Five Iron Frenzy

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Tygon_Jinnus, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm sorry! I am in my school's musical and it's been really hectic lately. After next weekend we're done and I can resume normal posting. I had a dream I was at an FIF concert last night. Freaky ;)

Go and Get Your Riot Gear
    Classic swing tune, but yeah the thing about police bashing... I don't know. I mean, I don't think what either the police or the rioters did was right. I think the chorus of the song is definitely tongue-in-cheek... I still don't know what to think of this song, after 5 years :p

The Untimely Death of Brad
    Great song about the ugly rumour mill.

These Are Not My Pants: The Rock Opera
    Latin Track
    I just want to know if they had to change Reese's voice or if he's just that strange. This one is so much fun to sing with.

Lounge-Singer Track
    Glad I've never listened to Lounge singers now ;)

Country Track
    My grandpa listens to stuff that sounds just like this, and he takes it seriously :(

Metal Track
    *head bangs*

R&B Track
    I love all the 'ooohs' but what is that one sound? I don't want to know...

Reggae Track
    This is a really fun one to sing in a group of strangers!

Geek/Polka Track
    Indeed, I love the 'BOBBY!' part too

Rap Track
    I love the random bleaps! Especially when they aren't even singing [face_laugh]

Kingdom of the Dinosaurs
    I still love hearing, "I'm sorry to all the kids who bought this album, and to their parents, and their dogs, who have to listen to this..."
    Indeed. And I can play this song on my bass, so I never have to give it up ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    I think "that one sound" is a random trumpet squealing, but I can't be sure.

It could be a bad Taco Bell combo platter.

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    [face_laugh] Indeed. So are we going to move on to um, do you have the Live album?

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    No, I don't, but every song they sing on that one is on another album... Let's move on to Hype. ;)

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ah, good point. I like this album a lot :)

The Greatest Story Ever Told

I really like the lyrics to this song, because they really speak to how our small, sometimes hard lives play into a greater picture and it's good to be reminded of that.

Me Oh My

Nice music, upbeat little tune, not one that particularly stands out as a fav though.

Solidarity

I have the red FIF shirt with the black and yellow fist on the back that says 'Solidarity' and I love it, because I love this song. First of all, the music has a kind of salsa beat but done in a serious way. I love the lyrics to this song even more, though, because they express a feeling I have that all Christians should be united despite their differences (I'm defintiely not big on denominations). I love this line

One world, one voice,
    in trenches we stand tall,
    one truth that has found us,
    one shepherd for us all.

Reese works in some beautiful imagery as always.

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. Corellia_Sunrise

Corellia_Sunrise Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2001
    Hey guys, I'm glad you are keeping this thread alive. I've been way busy with school and haven't had much time to post lately. Just wanted to check in and brag that I'm going to the Boulder CO show on Friday and then here in Denver on Saturday. I'll definately let you know how they go! Ok, I'm out

7. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    What's Up

Track 0: Just a note on the CD's back cover to let the fans know Five Iron cares. Nice. :)

The Greatest Story Ever Told

I absolutely love this song. The verse that calls God "The Author and Finisher of our faith" has always stood out to me (probably since I fancy myself a writer). For that reason, I've always loved the phrase The Author of my hope is writing the greatest story ever told.

Me Oh My

Ditto solojones. ;) Nice tune, not a standout.

Solidarity

The phrase unity the verb, Solidarity has always bugged me, since both unity and solidarity are nouns, but that's just me being idiotic. It really is a great song. It actually is saying a lot more than it sounds like, which is one of the tendencies that makes Five Iron great.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, I think FIF has this great ability to do just what they planned on doing- providing music that's accessible to everyone. It's not shoving Christianity down anyone's throat, it's just trying to impart anything that they have learned and mixing that with their wonderful music.

You're going to Bolder AND Denver?!?! :(

I can't believe it's all over Saturday. :_|

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I just heard that FIF will be recording their final concert this weekend for a second live album??

*Prays that this will be the case*

10. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, "On Distant Shores" is out my signature, sadly.

However, in the spirit of true Five Iron Fandom, I've replaced it with lyrics from "The Greatest Story Ever Told." :)

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Sorry, sorry! Finals week and month really :(

Yeah, I opted out of On Distant Shores for the David the Gnome themesong for a while ;)

Oh yeah, the final concert was recorded for an album entitled 'The End is Here' to come out in early 2004.

Ok now I THINK I can get back to keeping up with this thread. What are our next songs? Wouldn't want FIF to be neglected.

-sj loves kevin spacey

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Phantom Mullet
    There's just something terribly funny about mullets (as every good SW fan knows ;)), and there's something even better about an FIF song about it. I love the line 'so savage and so free' [face_laugh]

Ugly Day
    In retrospect, such a sad song. But if you just take it for what it is, it's a really cool song of how much you can miss someone you love. 'I would lie down on the street to keep the dust off of your feet' is such a great line that always gives me a picture of ultimate dedication... but then I think about how that dedication wasn't reciprocated for Reese, and that's sad :(

Farenheit
    This is one of my faovurite songs on the album, as I think the issue of bigotry in the church is a big deal. I am also a Queen fan and definitely belive in 'love the sinner, hate the sin'. The best part of this song is the trumpets playing the notes for 'anyway the wind blows' at the end.

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    MUST NOT LET THIS THREAD DIE....

The Phantom Mullet
    One of my sister's favorite songs, just because mullets are so humorous... Personally, my favorite line is "Cuttin' your hair like Billy Ray Cyrus!"

Ugly Day
    I have to agree with solojones on this one... it's catchy, yet, to think about it, it's sad. One has to wonder what "Christie" is doing now...

Farenheit
    To be honest, when I first got the CD, I wouldn't listen to this one... I realize that the idea of "Love the sinner, hate the sin" is something that really should be addressed more (as C.S. Lewis said, he could easily think of someone who I can not like for the horrible things he's done, but still loved him as a person... himself). I still thought parts of it were in bad taste... listening to it over again, though, I've come to like it much more.

Four-Fifty-One
    This has become one of my favorites. I actually preached in church a few months back (and named the sermon after "See the Flames Begin to Crawl"), and, writing it on the need for passion in the church, couldn't keep but thinking of lines from this song. The radio's preachin' the candy-coated goo, the record company, and the TV, too; no one rocks the boat, terrified of trouble, can't tamper with the walls of the sterile Christian bubble! Never the point to get people saved, you pad yourself with fluff just because you're afraid; I'm not afraid to point the finger, now, the choir got used to the preachin' anyhow!! Plus, leave it to Five Iron not only to make the reference to Fahrenheit 451, but to put the song Fahrenheit on right before Four-Fifty-One so that the reference even works on the song listing...

14. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    I know I started late but...

What's your favorite song?
    Used to be "Every New Day" but after hearing "On Distant Shores" I have to replace it. This is mostly because my favorite part on Every New Day was the final stanza, and therefore was my favorite. But the way they play it at the end of ODS is so amazing! And plus the fact that I feel exactly like him on that song! Especially the line "And on my knee's, I wept at Your feet. I finally believe, that You still Love me." I think it's so powerful, it amazes me every time.

Favorite Album?
    Probably "Our Newest Album Ever."

What do you think of "The End is Near"?
    I really like it. It has a really good message to it, and I like it a lot because of it.

See them on tour this last chance?
    Sadly, I missed it. I was super pissed!

Breaking up?
    If it's what they want, I'm happy for them.

Peace

15. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Jedi_Master_Anakin: Thanks for jumping in!! :) Always nice to meet another fan.

16. sithspit4

sithspit4 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    hahahaha.......... i used to listen to Five Iron back in the day. Them and the Supertones. I dont listen to ska anymore though...... im into Hardcore and Metal.

JxCxHxC

17. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    You Probably Shouldn't Move Here -- This one's just fun. I've been to Colorado quite a few times, and I've never heard such a moving tribute... leave it to Denver natives. Plus, I just really love the fact that the whole song is written in praise of the state, but they decided to call the song You Probably Shouldn't Move Here...

Hurricanes -- I really enjoy this song just because it's unique... it has a sound that doesn't really recur in any of their other albums. It's a good message, I think, and I love the south-of-the-border sound.

18. mark_123

mark_123 Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2004
    Fav. Song?

CannonBall

Fav. Album?

The End is Near

See tem on tour this last chance?

I went to their final Concert in Denver.. I flew from the most eastern part of canada to get there...

Breaking up?

I wish they weren't...

19. Ty-gon Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Anybody else want to weigh in on the songs?

20. Marai_Jade

Marai_Jade Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2004
    Yeah! :D

Sorry I have not come sooner but it never occured to me to see if FIF had a fan thread on here.... Should have, but didn't.

Favorite song?

Hmmm, I don't tihnk I have a specific one, but if you give me an album, I can choose the song I like most on that particular one. "On Distant Shores" has to be one of the best, though, in my opinion.

Favorite album?

Same as the other one, but "The End is Near" is really good.

What do you think of "The End is Near"?

lol, You can see. ^ "Cannonball" has to be one of the best, as well.

See them on tour this last chance?

Boulder and Denver, both amazing concerts. Chucko and Clayton got awards for "the most faithful fans", I think is what it was, lol. Clayton's been to 50 of their concerts and Chucko's been to 56.

Breaking up?

Wish they weren't but they all have wifes or girlfriends, (or in Leanor's case, boyfriend) and they deserve a chance at a normal life. Besides, Guerilla Rodeo might tour this year. MIGHT, tour this year.

Just in case you all don't know, "The End is Here" comes out on the 20th. Tuesday.... My mom is gonna bawl.........

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    This thread's coming back to life because The End is Here is now out and also because it must be done.

Guerilla Rodeo's not happening anymore. However, Reese has already signed with 5 Minute Walk with his new band, Roper. Reese is clearly the important part in this anyway ;) Brave Saint Saturn is also working on another album, which makes me incredibly, incredibly happy.

Does anyone else have The End is Here? I like it a lot. It made me cry. But the outtakes at the end of the version of The End is Near.... those made me practically cry with laughter. I swear, I haven't laughed so hard in I don't know how long.

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    i'm so glad to see that the FIF thread is up again. I must say that these kids are very very great.

I've purchased the END IS HEAR when it came out and it made me want to cry becuase FIF is no band anymore. :-(

i'm proud to announce that am on the iside cover of the pull out poster of all the fans. (Center Left, Grey shirt right in front of my brother whos shirt says ....ullets)

Great music and great lyrics. My favorite Christian band. I am also a huge fan of BSS with those FIF kids in it.

All you that are interested, there is nothing up yet,
    Roper is dumb. I guess its his new band.

god speed friends
    DKT OUT

23. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    yep. love FIF. tis a shame that they are breaking up, but if what you guys say is true...then it is for the best.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, FIF is not only my favourite Christian band (I don't like many actually because it tends towards shallow poppy stuff though...), but my favourite band of all time, period. There are some others I think music-wise are the 'greats', of course, but FIF's my personal fav. Not just their music, which is so fun, touching, personal, real, and great, but also because they themselves are so funny and beyond description. Their example and their music has helped form and strengthen my faith more than they could probably know...

Reese's band has already signed with Five Minute Walk. I signed up for the e-mail updates so I'll try to let you guys know any news. I don't know about Brave Saint Saturn, though, just that Dennis said they're working on the next album.

I couldn't let this thread die. FIF nerds must stick together until the end. I still have the quote from 'On Distant Shores' in my sig, clearly indicating that I am the coolest kid around ;)

I'd like to pick up where we left off, though, discussing the albums song by song in chronological order... Where were we :confused:

-sj loves kevin spacey

25. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I thought i try and regenrate this thread. Did you herea about the tour that Reese and Leanor are going on. I'm not sure if its over but they were just going to speak and read poetry.

I wanted to go but they were not comming to the west part of the US. I'm interested to read some of leanors poetry.

I can't remeber what song we were on but in enjoy "whose behind the curtain." very cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.