main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Winners Never Quit, but The End Is Near: The Thread for Fans of Five Iron Frenzy

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Tygon_Jinnus, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Bumping this up. Roper has some demoes up now at Roperisdumb.com. Not quite sure what to think of the new band yet. Hmmm...

Ok, I'm picking up our song by song discussion now ;) We just finished Hurricanes, so I'm going to move on from there in hopes of finishing up All of the Hype... then we can move back to Upbeats and Beatdowns, k?

Giants
    This song is pretty blatant with its themes, huh? I'm pretty sure the only word for it is "bombastic" :p I remember that this was one of those songs I really liked as a younger kid because it was all cool sounding and edgy or whatnot. Now it's ok, I still agree with the themes of the big companies stomping mom and pop. It's just a little over the top maybe.

I Still like Larry
    Ok, this one doesn't count as a whole song. What is this song about, anyway?

All the Hype
    Lyrically, I like this song. And I like that the style somewhat matches that. You know, FIF is very good at doing that... matching and changing style for different songs. Anyway, they do that with this one but unfortunately it's mimicking my not favourite kinds of music. But, erm, isn't that kind of the point? ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    What's your favorite song?
    Changes all the time, but their one of my all time favorite bands so I really like most of their songs.

Favorite album?
    I really love BS2: The light of things hoped for, but I think my favorite FIF album is their Live

What do you think of "The End Is Near"?
    I think it's one of their best albums, the quality is superb. (If quality can be used to describe FIF ;) )

Did/will you see them on tour this last chance?
    I had a ticket, but the week of, my Grandfather died, and my parents made me goto his funeral, so sadly, I missed it.

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Heya Josh! :) That's too bad about not getting to go to the concert and your grandfather dying too :(

I definitely love Light of Things Hoped For. I really can't wait for the final BS2 album. I'm not sure when that's supposed to come out... I hope it's soon.

And yeah, I mean, I'm not sure there are any FIF songs I just *don't* like. I don't think I really skip any of them. I just love On Distant Shores, though, all around.

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. SkafeeXAddict

SkafeeXAddict Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2003
    HOLY PASTRAMI!!!

A FIVE IRON FRENZY THREAD ON STAR WARS FORUMS!!!

THIS IS THE GREATEST THINGS SINCE FIVE IRON FRENZY. . . AND STAR WARS!!!

I need some water.

*passes out*

*wakes up half an hour later*

This is great, what were they talking about? Oh yes, that is right. . .

I really like On Distant Shores too, but I like Every New Day more. Does their Medley count, beacause that is great fun to listen to (although I've only listened to it three times live and twice on cd). The only FIF songs I skip over sometimes on a cd are Burn and Left, both from Cheeses.

I think The End Is Here is their best cd. Some of their best songs played to the best they can be played. I've only listened to the cd twice (it hurts to much to listen to it).

Five Iron Frenzy is my favorite band of all time. Too bad they're no more.

RIP FIF

5. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    Hey Rachel! I think I read reese saying on the Roper boards that they might record the final BS2 album this year, one can only hope it will be as good as the second one.

Reese just has a penchant for writing dramatic songs, the last songs on Light of things, All the Hype, The end is near, and Live (i'm not sure which cd that one is origionally from).

6. Corellia_Sunrise

Corellia_Sunrise Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2001
    wow, I'm happy to see this discussion still going. I honestly haven't been to the boards in a year. The Roper album was released the 19th of October and I hear it is excellent.

I live in Denver and got to attend the final two shows, last year and they were AMAZING. My car got towed that night, but it was still all worth it.

Well, I hope the rest of you FIF fans are still around and we can get this going again!

7. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Heck, its good that i went looking around for something good to post in.

I actually made it into "the end is here" Pull out poster on the fans side.

My brother just got the roper CD and its great. Very impressed with what resse is throwing out to us. I would love to hear another BSS CD. The seconed one was fantaastic.

dkt

8. Darth-Melissa-Thomas

Darth-Melissa-Thomas Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2004
    [image=http://members.lycos.co.uk/zachthegirl/fif/dennis.jpg]

I know it's late...but I took the test. I'm Dennis! woo woo I love Five Iron Frenzy...to bad they broke up! jerks...but I'll live

9. eldaryn

eldaryn Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2004
    Roper definately rocks, they played not too far from me but I couldn't make it. Had a friend buy the CD, however, and it rocks :)

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Does it? I haven't had a chance to get it yet. I have no money. Hooray for Christmas :p

Man, I'm terrible with keeping up any sort of structured discussion here :( But I'm going to continue on as though I've been doing a great job, regardless ;)

It's not Unusual
    How can you *not* love an FIF cover of Tom Jones?! This is such a perfect song for them to cover and they do it with such flair. Reese really got into the singing and I love it.

A New Hope
    No, not the SW movie [/obligatory] :p
    Although, I have to say that this reminds me of something... the whole idea of there always being hope if you have faith in SW is something that connects with me personally. I love that SW isn't based on any one specific ideology because then you can get something out of it depending on what you believe. For Christians, I think it speaks profoundly.

I just mention that because this song obviously is about the same kind of thing- having hope in the darkest times. Columbine was definitely shocking for everyone, but for the FIF guys being from Denver and all, I'm sure it was much more. That comes through in this song, but it also has the underlying profound theme of knowing where our hope and freedom lie. I just love the lyrics.

World Without End
    I think for some people it might be difficult to understand the lyircs in the verses. I know I had a tough time until I read them :p The chorus has always seemed really beautiful and profound to me. This is one that was awesome to experience and be a part of in concert, especially at the end when we all went acappella. A great time to worship together.

But being a very intellectual person, I do love the words in the verses. It's so true that, for all the amazing things man has studied, discovered, invented... none of it compares with our amazing Lord and his love. This is one of those songs I just feel and connect with every time I hear it.

-sj loves kevin spacey

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    All right, slacker once more. Sweet. I think we'll go on to 'Our Newest Album Ever' soon, if that's all right. Mainly because it's just about my favourite and I want to talk about it :) But first, I have found something interesting my studying of William Blake for poetry class. I have been intending on making a comprehensive list of allusions in FIF songs and this got me thinking again that I need to do that. Read this poem:

The Tyger

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
    In the forests of the night
    What immortal hand or eye
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
    Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
    On what wings dare he aspire?
    What the hand dare seize thy fire?

And what shoulder, & what art,
    Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
    And why thy heart began to beat,