Beyond Winter Break: Jedi Ski Trip (Cast of FOTJ, OCs)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Revanfan1, Jan 27, 2014.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    First off, thanks to @Nyota's Heart, @Jedi_Lover, @Lady_Misty, @Gemma, @Revan_AnakinSolo, @windu4, and anyone else I may have forgotten, for reading my sprink break story. Special thanks to @Force Smuggler for suggesting the idea of a ski trip to follow it. :)

Ben Skywalker pulled on his shirt, sweater, parka, gloves, heavy thermal underwear and pants, two layers of socks, his boots, a scarf, and a pair of goggles. He looked at himself in the mirror and groaned. He looked like a giant blue marshmallow; he supposed he should be thankful his parka was not white. Shrugging, he turned, clasped his lightsaber onto his belt, and grabbed his hover-skis.

"Why can't we go back to Spira?" he grumbled to himself. "Hoth. Who wants to go to Hoth? 'Hover-skiing will be fun,' Dad said. 'It'll provide opportunity for physical exercise while we're on vacation.' 'Yes,' the Jedi Council said, 'that sounds good!' I can't believe this. The dead of winter, and we're going to the coldest planet in the galaxy."

Still grumbling, he forced himself out of his cramped quarters on the Star Tours star liner taking them to Hoth, wincing as the skis caught on the door. He jerked them several times before they finally came out. He attached them to his backpack and looked out the viewport. Hoth hung below, a bright white jewel amidst the black of space.

Ben had never been to Hoth, despite his father's repeated telling of his adventures on Hoth, and the Rebel Alliance's abandoned Echo Base. All Ben knew was, he hoped the ski resort the Galactic Alliance had built had been sure to clear out the wampas in the area first, or there were going to be some very unhappy Jedi vacationers on their hands.

Walking down the Starspeeder's cramped hallways, Ben passed several other Jedi who waved greetings at him. Ben waved in return, pushing through the crowd. He was headed for Seha's quarters. He wondered what her snow outfit would look like. Whatever it was, it would cover entirely too much of her skin for his taste; she looked best when her petite body could breathe. Bundled in a parka...well, she'd still look glorious. Better than Ben did, anyways.

He knocked on her door. "Seha? It's me."

The shadowy figure did not tell Seha its name, but she knew it. It was Vestara Khai. She knew it because Jaina had told her, and Seha had kept it to herself all this time, never telling Ben. She wondered now if that had been a mistake. Vestara was clad in black leather pants, a crimson shirt, and a black vest. She held a glass shikkar knife in one hand and a lightsaber in the other.

She was fighting Ben. Seha ran toward them, hoping to save Ben. She ignited her lightsaber, its blue blade shining in the darkness around them. Seha slashed at Vestara, and suddenly the Sith witch jumped in the air, and Seha's blade bit deep into Ben's chest. Seha watched, horrified, as Ben dropped to the ground, struggling for breath.

"Finish him, Seha," Vestara snarled. "Now!"

Seha wanted to tell her no, to make her stop. "Yes, Mistress," she said instead.

She slashed downward, her lightsaber neatly decapitating Ben. Vestara laughed an evil, throaty laugh, and Seha laughed with her. Vestara put her hands on Seha's shoulder.

"Now, there is nothing to stop us from ruling the galaxy!"

Seha awoke screaming, as she always did. The dream was different, sometimes. Always the same events happened, but Seha herself was different. Sometimes, as this time, she had worn her Jedi robes and carried her own blue blade. Sometimes, she wore Vestara Khai's outfit and carried a red blade, her eyelids tattooed with the horrible black swirls that Vestara wore. And sometimes, she was a frightening amalgam of both, her Jedi robes black, a red lightsaber in one hand and a blue one in the other, a Sith tattoo over her left eye.

Seha wasn't sure which dream disturbed her more. No matter what, though, they were always nightmares, and there was nothing Seha could do to stop herself from killing Ben. The dreams did not come every night; sometimes it was only once a month, sometimes as many as twice a week. One horrible week, she'd had the dream five nights in a row.

"Seha?" Ben called. "Are you awake? You'd better hurry; we'll be touching down soon!"

Seha remembered. The ski trip! Scrambling out of bed, she pulled on her wool shirt, snow pants, and sweater. Then she clipped her lightsaber to her belt, grabbed her boots, parka, gloves, and skis, and ran out the door. Ben looked at her, surprised.

"You all right, Seha?" he asked.

"The dreams again," she explained. She never told him what they were about, though. Ever. "They've been getting worse. More...real."

"I'm sorry," he replied, gripping her in a warm hug. "Maybe you should tell my dad about it; I'm sure he could help."

Seha considered. Could she trust Master Skywalker not to tell Ben? Of course she could, she told herself. She was his aide; everything that passed between them was confidential unless stated otherwise.

"All right," she said. "I will. Tonight." She kissed him on the lips. "I love you."

"Love you too." He smiled. "Now, you'd better finish dressing; we'll need to go forward to strap down soon."

"Okay."

Ben walked toward the sitting room, and Seha sat down on the hall floor, pulling her boots on. She stared out at Hoth, and suddenly in the middle of the planet she saw a brief flash of light brown hair, tattooed eyes. She grunted and held her head.

"Why is this happening to me?" she wondered fearfully.
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  2. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    For some reason I suspect somebody is going to be separated from the group and fall into a semi-frozen stream and have to be saved by another person removing their wet clothing's and using their body heat to warm them up. I love those stories. lol!
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    Maybe so, I am always more than happy to take inspiration from my readers. ;)
  4. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Hi there! Ooh, quick start on the sequel. :cool: Yuck on the dreams! [face_worried] Yuppers, Seha definitely needs to confide in someone who can help, and fast!!!! Looking forward to the cozy fires, hot cocoa, and couple-cuddles. ;)
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Anakin Solo Revanchist Force Ghost

star 4
    Interesting start! You'd think if Seha's dreaming about it, she'd remember being mesmerized by Vestara. In the dream, she definitely knows she's not following her own will but Vestara's, so that should trigger a recall. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Keep up the good work Revanfan!
    Force Smuggler and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Yay! My idea has become reality!
    Revan_AnakinSolo and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    @Jedi_Lover, @Nyota's Heart, @Revan_AnakinSolo, @Force Smuggler, thank you for commenting!

"All I'm saying is, the resort had better be heated!" Jaina snarled.

As the ramp of the Starspeeder lowered, she hoisted her backpack with her hover-skis onto her shoulder and lifted her duffel bag full of clothes with her other hand. Beside her, her husband Jag carried a duffel bag and backpack of his own. He smirked a little at her statement and shrugged, causing the contents of the backpack to clatter around inside.

"I'm from Csilla," he said nonchalantly. "This is balmy."

"Balmy?" Jaina exclaimed. "It's negative thirty degrees right now!"

"Yeah, and in the winter Csilla could get down to negative sixty. Like I said: balmy."

The ramp touched the ground, allowing a rush of cold air that instantly froze Jaina's lungs and blew right through her parka. She shivered and moved out. Along with the other Jedi Council members, she was first in line, both to guide the Knights and students, and to ensure the landing was actually safe. At the bottom of the ramp, she stopped and waited as the rest of the thirty or so Jedi disembarked. Some of them were already shivering miserably, while one brave Talz male had already doffed his robes; Alzoc III was as cold as Hoth, so this would be natural to him.

"Go inside and sit in the lobby," Uncle Luke called, "until we get room assignments."

The Jedi didn't argue too much; there would doubtless be a fireplace in the lobby. Jaina would've laughed if she hadn't been so cold herself. She waited until the last of the Jedi had disembarked, and then gave the pilot of the Starspeeder a thumbs-up. He saluted in return and took off. Jaina looked around, and up at the mountain where they'd be spending most of their time hover-skiing. The thing was so tall you had to take a grav-lift to the top. Shivering at the thought of how cold it must be up there, she followed the rest of the Jedi inside the lobby.

Luke went up to the resort manager, an Ortolan male. The Ortolan was almost hidden behind the counter; he climbed up on a stool so he could see Luke clearly. Luke felt the warm air of the hotel interior and removed his parka. Underneath he wore his black jumpsuit with tan Jedi tunic over it. The Ortolan sized him up for a moment and then spoke in its own language, a comical jabbering muffled by his snout that almost made Luke laugh.

[It is an honor to have the Master Skywalker and his illustrious Jedi with us,] the Ortolan said. [I have prepared the requested number of rooms: thirty-five singles and twelve married. If you need anything, feel free to ask.]

"Thank you," Luke replied, sliding him the Jedi Order's cred tab.

[Thank you, Master Skywalker, for your business.]

Luke nodded in reply and moved into the larger lobby area. Four couches had been arranged in a half-square around the fireplace. Some of the Jedi had already taken off their parkas and hung them on the coat rack near the turbolift; others were still swathed in them, teeth chattering. Luke chuckled. His reaction had been similar when the Rebel Alliance had first come to Hoth, over forty years ago. They'd learn to adjust.

"Our rooms are ready," he said. "Look at the holo-board on the wall next to the turbolift and it will have your room number next to your name. Take the key hung next to it and go up when you're ready. I hope you have fun this week."

The Jedi went up en masse, no doubt eager to put their duffel bags away, unpack their hover-skis, and go up the mountain. Luke took the stairs to the third floor where his room was; it was better exercise. He tossed his parka and duffel on his bed, and removed his backpack and placed it on the floor. He'd go out and ski with them too; after all, what was the point of coming if he didn't have fun? He just needed to get his room arranged for the night.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Frowning, he crossed over and opened it. His aide and Ben's girlfriend, Seha Dorvald, stood outside, clad in her Jedi tunic. She looked worried. Seeing something was wrong and fearing it was about Ben, he let her in and shut the door. She sat down on the bed and put her head in her hands. Luke crossed over to her.

"Is something wrong, Seha?" he asked, even though he knew there was.

"Y-yes, Master Skywalker," she admitted. "And it's about Ben. I think."

"You think?" he frowned. "Oh, Seha...you're not pregnant, are you?"

"Force no!" she exclaimed. "Ben and I have never even had sex."

"Oh." He sighed in relief. "I'm not sure I'm ready to be a grandfather. Then what is it?"

"It's my dreams," she said. "Ever since our spring vacation, I've been having dreams...dreams where Ben is fighting Vestara Khai. I try to help Ben but I accidentally hurt him, and then Vestara tells me to finish him off. I don't want to...but I always do. And then she tells me that we will rule the galaxy. In my dream, sometimes I wear my Jedi robes, sometimes I wear Vestara's Sith clothes, and sometimes I wear a mixture. But I always kill Ben." She looked up at him pleadingly. "What does it mean?"

"I...I don't know, Seha," Luke replied, troubled. "They could just be dreams...but if you're having them that often it could be a Force vision of some kind. Not a literal one, perhaps, but maybe a metaphor."

"What should I do?"

"I'll tell you what you should do." He put a hand on her shoulder. "Go have fun. I'll meditate on your dreams, see what I can figure out."

She smiled. "Thank you, Master Skywalker. I hope you'll join us later."

"I will, Seha." He led her out of the room. "May the Force be with you."
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Ha! Funny!

I'll tell you what. If I was told I had to go on vacation to Hoth I would probably put a blasterbolt through my foot so I could stay in the nice warm infirmary on Coruscant. Or I would eat a big meal and then drink an entire bottle of ipecac. I am tired of the cold!!!
    jcgoble3 and Revanfan1 like this.
  9. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Nice to see the new story with the snow on Hoth. Ben in blue (looking like a Smurf?:D )
    Luke should be alert after those dreams from Seha
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. Gemma Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I was sad when I could not access the end of the other story and saw that you had began a sequel --- but I am here tonight.
    Loved the blue marshmallow visual -- very funny. And Hover-skis --- way cool idea --- I was thinking just regular skis which is strictly a spectators sport for me. I'm a natural klutz --- the idea of putting skis on my feet would mean my demise I think. Thank you for tagging me for the sequel. That was a very nice setup you did in the previous one for this one. Please keep up the good writing.
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    Luke gave better advice to Seha then Yoda gave his father. Admittedly Anakin didn't give Yoda a lot to go on but Yoda did tell Anakin not to miss this person that he was close suffer before they died when he knew Anakin's track record when it came to those he was close to.

With all the cold weather some might agree with Jaina. At one point it was WARMER on Mars then it was in Canada.
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Luke is very consoling to Seha, not downplaying her concerns, nor heightening her worry unnecessarily. I hope he can come up with a countermeasure.
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. Ewok_Slayer Force Ghost

star 2
    I have a question. Why would Seha saying she thinks she has a problem involving Ben lead the Grand Master to ask if she was pregnant? 'I think' indicates the problem might not be Ben's. Does Luke think she's screwing around with other guys? Oh wait…this is after the beach party. Never mind.
    Gemma and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    It's about eight months after the beach party...so she would be quite visibly pregnant if she'd conceived then. And I doubt Luke would assume she would be with anyone else but Ben, but hey...sometimes people have judgment lapses; he had to make sure! :p

Thanks everyone for the comments...I am very sick today so I don't know if I'll update. How sick am I? I almost wrote "comics" instead of "comments." [face_plain]
  15. Gemma Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    @Revanfan1
    Healing energies being sent your way. I hope you feel better soon.@};- [:D]Hugs always make me feel better.

Being sick is bummer --- you forgot to bundle up good once you reached Hoth, I'll bet.
    Last edited by Gemma, Jan 28, 2014
    Revanfan1 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  16. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    Thanks @Gemma for wishes of better health. Thanks @Jedi_Lover, @Ewok_Slayer, @Lady_Misty, @Nyota's Heart, @earlybird-obi-wan, @Force Smuggler, and @Revan_AnakinSolo for the comments! :)

Ben blew a cold breath into his scarf and looked up the mountain. It seemed to go up, and up, and up forever. It was huge! The resort had divided it into three sections for safety–the most gradual slope for beginners, an intermediate slope for more advanced hover-skiers, and the steepest slope–a near-vertical drop–for the best athletes in the galaxy. Most of the apprentices were sticking to the easiest slope, while the senior apprentices and Knights tried their luck at the intermediate slope, and the most skilled Knights and Masters tried for the drop.

Ben figured he'd try the intermediate slope a few times to get the hang of it, but his goal was to tackle that drop before he left. He walked up to the grav-lift and swung his legs onto it to sit down–no easy feat with the hover-skis clamped to his boots. The grav-lift was just starting to ascend when Seha caught up and managed to get on it beside him.

"Where'd you go?" Ben asked.

"Talked to Master Skywalker about my dreams," she replied.

"What'd he say?"

"He said...he said not to worry. He'll meditate on it."

Ben considered, and then nodded. "Okay, then. Let's just have fun."

"Let's do that," Seha agreed.

Jaina looked down the drop. She couldn't believe Jag had talked her into this. She should've gone on the intermediate slope first. Starfighter pilot or not, standing here looking down the sheer drop, she felt as if she would faint and tumble all the way down. Jag adjusted his goggles, stepped up beside her, and grinned behind his scarf. He tapped her on the shoulder.

"Going?"

"Uh...sure." She paused. "You first."

Jag chuckled and moved forward, getting into position. Jaina actually believed he was going to go for a moment, but he hissed, stepped back, and shrugged.

"It'll take a little psyching up," he said wryly.

"Yeah," Jaina agreed.

Apparently, Jag got all the psyching he needed a moment later when Kyle Katarn rushed by and, not even hesitating, shot straight over the drop. Jaina and Jag stuck their heads out and watched him go. He accelerated so fast he quickly disappeared into the mass of snowy mounds below.

"Hey, isn't that the guy who beat you up on our last vacation?" Jaina asked.

Jag scowled. "Out of my way."

He winced, bounced once, twice, three times...and then went over the edge.
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. Ewok_Slayer Force Ghost

star 2
    Jag is not going to be shown up by Kyle once again. :D
    Revan_AnakinSolo and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    @Ewok_Slayer could be on to something.

Went cross country skiing once and downhill skiing once; without poles.
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Glad Ben and Seha can have fun :) Go Jag LOL Wouldn't it be a rip if Kyle wound up with a broken leg for blasting off like that? :p
    Revanfan1 and Revan_AnakinSolo like this.
  20. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    I won't bring my sons skiing anymore. The first and only time we went my 8 year old took one lesson and then disappeared on the slopes. The next thing I know he is skiing down the black diamond slope at a terrifying speed. He made it but I just about had a heart attack. Never again.

Nice update.
    jcgoble3, Revanfan1 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  21. windu4 Force Ghost

star 4
    Tag please!
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Men showing off?;)

Nice to see them having fun
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Gemma Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Loved the update. But skiing for me -- is purely a spectator's sport. I'm a klutz without the skis. Now horseback riding there's one I can enjoy. Hey there's another idea for a summer or fall vacation although I guess it would have to be something other than horses in SW Universe. Loving the story -- keep up the good writing. And glad you're feeling better too.
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    I have introduced husans and mearis in the universe. In my fan art thread you can see the new one
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    @Ewok_Slayer, @Jedi_Lover, @Lady_Misty, @Nyota's Heart, @windu4, @earlybird-obi-wan, @Gemma, thank you for the comments!

Ben heard himself going "AAAAAHHHHGGGGHHH!" the whole way down and knew he wasn't ready for the steepest slope. He was on the intermediate slope now and he was careening out of control, unable to get his hover-skis to cooperate as he shot down the mountain, nearly slamming into rocks and icy outcroppings. He shrieked–manly, of course–as he barely jumped over a solid formation that would've broken his legs off.

His hover-skis hit the snow and bounced him back up. Ben flailed his arms in the air and his left leg came up with them. Valiantly trying to regain his balance, Ben hit the "reset" button on the poles, which brought the skis down side by side. At least both his legs were on the ground, now. Unsteadily, he straightened himself and leaned forward in the proper position, now halfway down the mountain. Wincing, he began carefully to move his legs, and began to get the hang of it. When he hit the bottom he was in control, mostly, except for the front of one of his skis caught in a snowdrift and sent him face first into the large pile of snow.

"I hate the cold!" he exclaimed at no one in particular.

Seha skidded to a stop beside him. Her face was red but she was beaming; clearly she'd had more fun than Ben had. Huffing, he stood and brushed the snow from his face. He was glad he was wearing a hat or his hair would've been full of the white powder. Smiling sheepishly, he looked at Seha.

"How'd it go?"

"I'm not sure," she replied, "but I think I'm a natural."

"Well, that's good, because I'm not!" he replied with a laugh. "Come on, let's go again and see if I can do this without almost killing myself."

Luke gazed up the mountain and watched the Jedi enjoy themselves. He saw Kyle Katarn plow down the steep drop at the top of the mountain, and Jag immediately follow. He also saw Ben frantically flailing around as he went down the slope, and Seha expertly swerving in and out between obstacles. He chuckled and walked over to the grav-lift. He'd never taken the opportunity to hover-ski, but it had always sounded fun to him. Just because he was Grand Master didn't mean he was going to miss out on all this fun.

He saw Kyp and Octa get on the grav-lift ahead of him as it took off. He sat down on the next lift as it passed by and watched the two Masters ahead of him as his lift climbed. Octa and Kyp had been growing closer for several months, which pleased Luke; Kyp deserved happiness and so did Octa. Halfway up the mountain, another Jedi hopped on Luke's lift.

"Hey, Kyle," he said with a laugh, "go down fast enough?"

Kyle's beard was peppered with snow. "Nah. I need to try again. First time wasn't thrilling enough. Although I enjoyed the look on Fel's face as his skis lost contact with the mountain and he fell straight down."

Luke's eyes widened. "Is he okay?"

Kyle laughed. "Yeah, I caught him with the Force."

"Oh, that's good." Luke frowned. "Why was Jag going down the plunge, by the way?"

"He couldn't stand to see me do something before him," Kyle said, laughing. "He's held a bit of a grudge since I beat the stuffing out of him on spring break."

"So...you went down the slope knowing Jag was standing there watching."

Kyle nodded. "Yeah. Didn't know he'd nearly kill himself, though. I think he's decided to stick with the intermediate slope for the time being."

"Well, I think I'll do the same until I get the hang of it." Luke dropped off the lift and waved as Kyle passed by. "Have fun defying death."

Kyle grinned. "I always do."
    jcgoble3 and Force Smuggler like this.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade