main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Winter Olympics 2006 Turin

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by gaiatha, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3f/Torino_2006_logo.gif]

Yesterday the 20th Winter Olympics opened in Turin :cool:

The ceremony was great. In part a bit long, but Luciano Pavarotti, Billy Joel singing Imagine and all the beautiful costumes made it amazing.

Today the first medals can be won at:
    20km Biathlon Men
    Nordic Combination
    5000m Speed skating Men
    Ski freestyle (moguls skiing) Women

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the German Biathlon team, who have a good chance to win a medal, I think ;) [face_good_luck]

Are you following the games? What's your favorite sport?

:)

2. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    As an Australian, I have to say the Winter Olympics don't hold much interest for me . . . :p

3. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    What a backward country you come from :p

4. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I don't follow the games that much. But I try to catch the main informations about who won and how did the Germans. :)

If I got it right, two gold medals for the Germans. :D

5. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001

Hey, if it were the desert Olympics we'd be right up there with Saudi Arabia and Egypt. :p

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well Sweden is out of luck, just one 4th and one 5th spot so far. :( I had some hopes on the ladies' biathlon, but that didn't go well at all today.

7. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I will follow the hockey tournament. Right now I'm watching Sweden - Italy (lady's hockey) and I feel sorry for the Italians :).

8. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    I'm like majorly following the Olympics as usual. Go USA!!!! Anyway in snowboarding we just pulled a double gold-silver. Men yesterday and women today.

9. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    It was actually the first time that I watched a snowboard tournament today and I have to say I'm quite impressed. :cool:
    And congratulations to the US boys and girls! You totally rule this sport! :D
    And looks like the US team is up for another gold medal at the 500m speed skating tournament!

Maybe a bit strange but I'm a curling fan [face_blush] :D
    Try to follow that.

And it's so so sad that Michelle Kwan had to cancel the games. The press conference was heart breaking... :(

10. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    Oh come on Kwan didn't even deserve to go in the first place. she only did one compitition this season and landed so far out of place she didn't even registar as being there. She knew she was injured coming in. Why didn't she let Baby Hughes come and enjoy the Opening ceromonies? She knew what she was doing, trying to hog the spotlight like she has done in the past games and then fail to put her foot where her mouth is. but thats my opinion.

11. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't know why... but I couldn't stop watching the Curling today. :p

12. bandykullan_

bandykullan_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2001
    Curling is really fun!

SWEDEN WON BOTH THE MEN'S AND WOMEN'S SPRINT RELAY TODAY!!!!!

OUR FIRST OLYMPIC GOLDS IN 12 YEARS.

Sorry got a bit carried away there I think.

(btw this is Obi Anne's most sportcrazy sock)

13. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    And what about Steven Bradbury winning golg for the australian team in Salt Lake City 2002?!?!?
    Okay I guess that was nearly a miracles :p

Michi and I watched figure skating last night (even though CSI:NY was on :p) and I screamed when the Chinese athlete felt down. Gosh, I thought she had broken every bone...
    And they didn't get tiered to show the fall from every possible angle in slow motion... gosh.

//EDIT: Congrats to the swedish team!! :D
    The men's competition was sooo close.

I tink the German team can count on the women sledging competition for some more medals... ;)
    (third and final run this afternoon)

14. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Hehe, yeah, that was just blind luck. Funny, but we won't be doing it again any time soon. :p

Congrats to Sweden!

15. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    The only category Denmark is participating in is curling.
    I'm not interested in curling :(

16. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I've managed to watch a bit of the curling and speed skating today. The curling is quite compelling and our best bet of winning a medal. And tomorrow I believe the Mens British team play the German team.........I'm sure our friendship wont be strained though Jule ;)

The Speed skating was really good tonight. I can't believe how big those ladies thighs are :eek: Superman eat your heart out :p
    They're also really strict with the false starts too. You only have to move an eyelash at the wrong time and you could be disqualified!

17. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    Guess what happened?!?! :D
    Australia won the third gold medal in the history of the Olympic winter games!!
    The Ski freestyle (moguls skiing) competition was won by Dale Begg-Smith yesterday.

I have to say it's no real surprise that the curling boys lost against the British Team. I saw them play Italy yesterday and I guess the tournament is more or less over for them... ah well. ;)
    Matt, curling is not football. :p

Sadly the games have their first doping scandal.
    Olga Pylewa (Rus) has lost her silver medal and has been disqualified and sent home...
    No idea how she will be able to look in the eyes of the other athletes again.

18. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    YAY!!! The British team won its first medal :D
    Shelley Rudman won silver in the women's skeleton race. A great achievement considering how young she is and we don't even have a skeleton track in this country.

The curling game was quite exciting and a close contest. Given that it's a Scottish game, we should be quite good at that one ;)

Matt, curling is not football.
    Does this mean we wont be talking this summer?? ;)
    Just teasing :p

Congrats to Germany for winning gold in the women's speed skating team pursuit :D

I saw the Snowboard Cross event during lunch, and that was some crazy stuff. Sometimes blind luck played its part with that one, but very exciting to watch.

19. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well I prefer regular alpine and cross country skiing. I'm not jealous of the guys out there today in the snowfall. Hopefully Sweden will continue with the trend from the last days and take at least one medal each day.

20. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Ooh, Pearson got pwnt on the womens downhill.

Kjetil once again took the mens Super-G.

That means that Kostelic and Kjetil both now have 4 Golds from Winter Olympics.

Austria owned Norway on the big ski jump though. And Britain beat Switzerland in the mens Curling.

I didn't see anything after that :p

21. Vader_Darth

Vader_Darth Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2002
    Ofcourse i'm following the Winter Olympics in Torino.

Congratz Germany to all your 16 medals and i think it will be a lot more for the German team.

Great that Great Britain got a silver in the womens skeleton.

I think that Swedens performance so long has been good, and it was so nice to see the double sprint gold.
    But the miracle that the swedish women ice hockey team did in the semifinal against USA was incredible. I hope that Anja Pärson is going to get her gold in the Super-G or the giant slalom.

Curling is not going so well for the swedish men team but the women team is in the semifinal.

22. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    So are there celebrities in the Winter Olympics? Like the Summer ones?

23. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    It's going pretty well for the German team.
    Tonight 1000m Speed Skating was pretty amazing and thrilling to watch. We all kept our fingers crossed for Annie Friesinger but third is also an amazing result. It's so great that Timmer could repeat the result of 1998(!).

On TV they mentioned a Hollywood Director in the Snowboardcross competition but I missed the name and the film he directed...

Did anyone her anything about the raid at the accommodation of the austrian team last night? The IOC speaker said something about they should forego a complaint because the raid was "perfectly neccessary". What on earth does that mean?! Except the fact that the austrian team couldn't finish the cross-country skiing team competition today.

24. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Tonight is the women's hockey final... and Sweden is playing! I expect Canada will win big, but still... we beat the US and made it to the final!! :D

25. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    And Canada did win the womens hockey gold, but it wasn't a huge score. I think it was the closest game of the whole Olympics for the Canadian women. If only the mens team could have the same success.

Congratulations to the Swedish hockey women for winning the silver, it was certainly a surprise victory over the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.