main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Winter-Spring 2008: The Republican and Democratic Primaries and Caucuses thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Coruscant, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    There are no superdelegates voting for Obama. Once again, there are none!

2. ellybeanjay

ellybeanjay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2000
    Not only are superdelegates endorsing Obama right and left, over 10 have switched to him from Clinton. So why hasn't she officially conceded yet?

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Several reasons:

1) Primaries are non-binding. The popular vote and the delegates only give INDICATIONS of what should occur at the convention but do not require that to be what occurs there. The bad choice of words of RFK would have been better served by saying "Look what happened to Jack Kemp ONE DAY before he was nominated for President."
    2) By forcing Obama's hand on actively rejecting her as the Veep (and he should), she's possibly gambiting that enough of her woman (and other) supporters either vote for McCain because he is more "woman-friendly" or don't vote at all, thus causing her to be the "VOTE FOR ME OR ELSE!!!!" candidate in 2012.
    3) Who knows what is going on the back-end at the moment in terms of political dealings with the likes of the Clinton teams, let alone Bubba, and the DNC.

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, for reasons outlined by a few people here, I think. Before anything else, she truly believes she's the best person to be president and wants to do as much as she can to force Obama to meet her terms (whatever those may be). She doesn't seem to realize that if she'd been graceful throughout that she'd have far more power. But then, she wouldn't be Hillary Clinton if she were like that.

I'm sure she knows that she look bad to a lot of people, but to a lot of the people who voted for her, she's standing up to Obama and I think she's latched onto that. Put it another way, she's basically using her own product and believing her own press.

She's in it for herself before anyone else, but it's partly or even mostly out of a sense of righteousness and a feeling that she knows best.

Edit: And, as David mentioned, 2012 is likely factoring heavily into her thinking. I don't think she believes Obama can win, especially if she's not on the ticket.

5. ellybeanjay

ellybeanjay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2000
    1) While I understand the idea behind that, I think that it's pretty clear that, were something to happen to Obama, she would be the next choice.

2) I don't understand how McCain is more 'women-friendly' though I can't tell if you're saying that tongue-in-cheek or with the realization that he's not, but that Clinton's supporters may spin it that way

3) Point

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Bill Clinton's more women-friendly than all of them combined.

7. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    MSNBC Breaking News:

According to the New York Times, Clinton will suspend her campaign and endorse Obama on Friday.

It's finally over.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, because the stories from Clinton advisors were right the last time? :p

9. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    That was more hearsay. This sounds more definite.

10. Ed_Abbey

Ed_Abbey Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2008
    Yeah, didn't you get the memo? Calling your wife a **** in public is very woman-friendly. :p

11. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    Why's this thread still open? It's kind of silly to go back and forth between two threads for essentially the same conversation. Shoot this one in the head and let the other one have it's time to shine!

12. Ed_Abbey

Jan 31, 2008
    Hillary is the T-1000 of politics and this thread is the T-1000 of threads.

13. Ed_Abbey

Jan 31, 2008
    Jon Stewart on Terry McAuliffe: "Wow. THAT GUY IS OUT OF HIS MIND!"

14. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Looks like the fat lady . . . or the Iron Lady . . . or the ***** lady . . . whichever, finally sang.

Clinton Suspends Campaign

("Suspends?" Like cryogenically frozen for eternity?) o_O

All further U.S. election speculation, information, and general lolling will continue in the General Election Thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.