main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WIP: Belt Runner

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Shawn PTH, Sep 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Well since PTH I havnt touched any 3d Software and im very rusty. In fact its been even longer than PTH since ive really tried any original modeling. But I finaly dusted off the old keyboard and gave it a shot and this is what ive come up with so far. Comments or Suggestions are welcome if not encouraged.

W.I.P.

2. Shawn PTH

Apr 22, 2000
    hmm well before it gets scrolled off the first page, just curious the sever lack of response is due to disinterest, the model sucking that badly, or what. Dont want to sound like a newb but this is usually a decent place to get opinions bad or good, just seems awefully quiet.

3. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    well, today is the one year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, so......I think people are spending time with family and such :)

anyway, looks good!

4. Shawn PTH

Apr 22, 2000
    True, we all deal with it in our own way, I guess mine is to fret over other peoples opinions.

5. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Maybe the edges could be smoothed a bit, and it needs a tewture other than only grey. The model itself looks pretty good though!

~Neszis~

6. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    I like the model. The lines of the ship are very well done, focusing the watcher on the cockpit.

The wing formation reminded me greatly of the style of ship from the early days of the Galactic Republic, the time of the original Jedi Knights. It reminds me of something else as well, but for the life of me I'm not sure what.

I assume that you are just after opinions of the model itself at the moment, rather than texturing etc. I think, once the textures have been added, this will look like an excellent ship. I would be interested in whether the wings move etc and how the ship would look when landed.

Overall though, a nice design that I look forward to seeing in space sometime soon.

7. Shawn PTH

Apr 22, 2000
    Thanks nez, I dont have the mesh smoothing turned all the way up simply for render times and there are some aliasing artifacts from the render since my samples were low.

Textures are off in the future at the moment since there is still a lot of detailing to be done. Mainly trying to get input on the design of it right now while I do the detail work.

8. Shawn PTH

Apr 22, 2000
    Jairen thanks for the compliments. I hadnt really thought about making the wings moveable but its certainly an interesting idea, they will eventually become solar panels similar to the tie fighter to power the beastie. As for landing, again it will be similar to the tie in that it uses docking clamps from a ship or station. The concept behind the ship is it is a racing vehicle designed for speed used in Belt races (Astroid Belts).

Im actually dreading getting to texturing this thing simply because I suck at texturing. Just gonna worry about the detail work for now. Hopefully will have an update tommorow.

9. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    I really like the main body of the thing (fuselage, cockpit engines etc) that;s all working well. But the wings look a bit out of place to me. Almost like an X-Wing with a Tie Fighters wings bolted on :) Maybe it's simply becuase the rest of the ship seems a little more detailed/rounded compared to them. I'm not sure what it is, but they don't quite sit with the rest of the ship for me. It might just be the render angle. The left wing looks especially unusual. I like the daggerboard underneath though, it's just those side wings.

10. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    I look forward to it. Especially seeing it in action now you've told me what it's for. It should be interesting to see how a fan film will handle an asteroid belt scene.

Is this going to be used in Jedi Apprentice? I have high hopes for that film. I meant to post in the thread where the test shots for converting to the "film-like" feel were done. The quality of film-work on it looks excellent, and this model, if it is being used for the film, seems to be continuing in that trend.

EDIT: Idiotic spelling mistakes!!!

11. Shawn PTH

Apr 22, 2000
    Thanks Daft, The wings are not set in stone at the moment, but like I said before they actually are similar to tie fighter wings in their original design to be solar panels to gather energy to fuel the ship.

As for Jedi Apprentice no this ship wont be in the film. It has been an exersize for me to get back on top of my 3D skills which I have neglected for so long. I will most likely be doing a full animation of a race eventually just for the sake of practice.

12. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    hey looks pretty good so far. Why do you render with Brazil instead of scanline for these tests? does brazil render faster?(i'm only asking because i'm still a noob with max)

13. Shawn PTH

Apr 22, 2000
    last post before i head out for a while. I use brazil for these tests because i want the quality and I intend to render the final product of this model with brazil (note brazil deals with the design much better for some reason). And at this point and most likely till completion its such a low poly model that there is really no problems with render time. Infact brazil renders about the same speed as scanline with this model. That will all change once the detailing is done and textures are added but for now it works.

This is a crappy image but it was just a very quick wire frame render before i run out the door so you can see just how low poly the model is. Almost all the poly is in the pipes.

Wire Frame

14. predinator

predinator Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2001
    Nice one.

15. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    everywhere i look i see this thing..... SciFi3d... here... cgtalk... my dreams.... my nightmares.... my... fantasies...

16. Shawn PTH

Apr 22, 2000
    Yeah well your natalie portman sure manages to get around =P

17. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    That would be an awesome model to use for the game X-Wing Alliance. In fact it's just about the right poly count. Ever consider helping a guy like me out with a game mod? :D

Chris

18. Shawn PTH

Apr 22, 2000
    Well I could lower the poly count quite a bit by turning off the mesh smoothing and lowering polys in the pipes. If you know how to convert it and want to texture it for your mod your welome to use it. I can create a lower poly version for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.