WIP - robo_obi's WIP thread

Discussion in 'Scifi 3D Forum' started by robo_obi, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robo_obi Force Ghost

star 4
    I thought I'd just start this up so I can have my own little spot to post the stuff I'll be trying and and working on over the next few months....to save forum space....

it'll just be things like small practice models to perfect skills or even start doing something i haven't done before......we'll see how i go...

i started an idea for a wookiee tank type vehicle this morning......will draw up some sketches and post em up
  2. George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum

VIP
    star 4
    Good idea. But we don't want everybody making their own thread unless you really plan to do a lot of work. For now one I'll have to re-doubled my efforts to keep the forums clean so I'll be deleting a lot of posts. I figure... with the contests being run in here too... unless I find a better place... it could get really crowded.
  3. robo_obi Force Ghost

star 4
    yeh i plan on doing a heap of stuff...just a whole lot of practice practice and more practice.....in all aspects of everything...lol
  4. Daniel_L Jedi Knight

star 3
    In the fan films forum krnbanguboi (brian cho) started a thread called brian's effects thread and was later changed to the Lightsaber Effects Thread. so let us do that with WIP, please think about it.
  5. robo_obi Force Ghost

star 4
    Daniel_L I think I get what you mean, I just hope you don't mean to turn my thread into a general 'everyone put ur stuff in here' thread.....

now...i just thought i'd pop on before i went to bed to let you guys know what should be coming tomorrow

i've done up some concepts of:

- a small vehicle (wookiee maybe?)
    - wookie tank
    - service type droid
    - a lightsaber
    - a clone variation (assassin type of one)

I'll post the sketches in the morning...and maybe start one of them...i'm quite pleased with my clone so I might start on it.
  6. robo_obi Force Ghost

star 4
    ok heres the sketches

[image=http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1372/concepts7xr.jpg]

I'm really only happy with the clone, saber, and droid....

my wookiee tank wouldn't come out of my head and the other vehicle just looks a little odd (the top view of it became the head of my droid...lol)

i've started work on the clone helmet....and will post something soon
  7. robo_obi Force Ghost

star 4
    ok heres my first few stages of the clone helmet

[image=http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8766/clone018bz.jpg]
    [image=http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/9431/clone035zn.jpg]
    [image=http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5197/clone048ae.jpg]

not my best stuff...but....its getting there
  8. darthviper107 Force Ghost

star 4
    That's a very tall helmet...
  9. morpher-2005 Jedi Master

star 4
    ^^I agree but all the same pretty good...still needs some work me thinks
  10. outrider462004 Jedi Master

star 4
  11. robo_obi Force Ghost

star 4
    yeh...it is a bit tall isn't it?...i think i got carried away with the bit at the front....it's shorter now...

but....for now i've put that aside (this is to be the nature of this thread...lol)....and i've started work on recreating anakins mechanical arm.....so far it looks pretty good....i think...lol....i'll try and get some pics up tomorrow....
  12. robo_obi Force Ghost

star 4
    now while this isn't a render of the actual mechanical bit, I was required to model an arm for something within the PXC and I hadn't done anything like that before.

So after 2.5 hours of work I came out with this...first arm I've ever made.....and I figure that I'm going to use it for the upper arm section for anakins arm

[image=http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9775/arm018cs.jpg]

scales probly a little wonky...lol...

mechanical coming soon...just adding a few things
  13. George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum

VIP
    star 4
    Looks pretty good. I bet next time you can do it in 1 hour. Dr.Jones being the character master here with a couple other guys could probably offer some tips.
  14. robo_obi Force Ghost

star 4
    well now its been a bit more than a while and I'd really hoped to have anakin's arm done....but the file corrupted itself and I had to start again from an early save version....

but thats not what this post is for...this is just to say that I'll be back in about 2 weeks...as i'm heading back to hospital tomorrow for some more surgery and will be there 10 days minimum....so it could be a week or so after that till i'm back at the computer.....

my work won't stop though....i'm planning a big big project....large scale location work....and will be working on concepting and sketching while on my down time.....
  15. George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum

VIP
    star 4
    Good luck. Show us your concepts when you come back.
  16. robo_obi Force Ghost

star 4
    well...I'm back...after 27 days in hospital I got back yesterday and I'm feeling much better.....

I tell you what I was getting so antsy not being able to try out all the stuff I was thinking about while I was in there...lol...I'm just itching to get back into the 3d stuff....

Anakins arm is out of the picture for me...I'm trying to consolidate my projects at the moment because even with me in hospital they built up. I have on the go at the moment:

- modelling work with the PXC on an undiscolsed project (not sure if I can say what it is)
    - Independent war film which has me as co-director/editor/VFX artist/DP/cameraman (so many heavy heavy hats...lol)
    - 3d short film (2-3 minutes)
    - and the big 3d project I told you about before...which I will announce now....

It's THE KASHYYYK TREE...the one completed as a miniature for episode III as it was deemed to be too dificult to do in 3d....

mwa ha ha ha ha

oh I know I'm crazy for wanting to do it but I feel confident I can do it.....lol...hopefully....
  17. Brandeni Jedi Master

star 4
    Yep, you could.

Its definetley do-able, I dono why they didnt do it in 3d.
  18. morpher-2005 Jedi Master

star 4
    The miniature looked fine to me.
  19. Ravenger Jedi Knight

star 2
    its doable yes, difficult but definetly doable go for it
  20. George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum

VIP
    star 4
    I think you're crazy. There's a reason why they didn't do that or those big holes in the ground on that other planet too in 3D. ALso depend on what sorta level of detail you are going for too?? You can get away with a lot if you don't get too close.
  21. JeneralJarJar Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think the issue with the Kashyyyk tree was not whether it was possible, but whether it was practical. Good luck though.
  22. robo_obi Force Ghost

star 4
    well as much as i would love to be able to do this project now (i'll keep it on the backburner) it seems as though it won't be happening for a while....

too much stuff is piling up....and adding this to the to-do list would surely be the end of me....lol....

i'll try and get back here as much as i can (if we stay 'here' ...otherwise i'll follow) and show some of what i'm working on....i've been mucking around with some vfx tests for one of the movies i'm doing...it's a WW2 flick and i've been trying out some flight shots with crashes and explosions....

so yeh...the tree will happen...at some stage....

and detail wise i'd planned to go pretty ballistic....lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.