main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wire removal help

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by darthmanrich, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthmanrich

darthmanrich Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2002
    hi i was wondering no one has any tourialls on doing wire removal and i was wondering how does one go about doing it? the programs i have are After Effects 5.5 PB and Photoshop 7.0

thanks all
    Darthmanrich

ps what do movie studios use for wire and bluescreen removal??

2. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Wire removal and bluescreen are two completely different things. For bluescreen, they use a lot of the same things we use.. various programs to isolate people from the background, or they simply do it the old fashioned way and hand-rotoscope the individual.

Wire removal is done by shooting an empty background plate of your footage, and using this to paint over the wires.. replacing the wires with the empty backdrop, thus "removing" them.

3. Azionite

Azionite Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2002
    Check out this product that can be used for wire removal:

Mokey

Kind of a weird name for what the product does, but from what I've seen it works pretty well.

4. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well Commotion is the usaul app for wire removal. You dpon't necessarily need a clean plate. In commotion you can paint over from another frame in the shot. Kinda like the clone brush in Photoshop but instead of having the origin point be spatially different, in Commotion you can also have it be temporaly different. heck there is even a specific tool in Commotion for wire removal.

It certainly is doable in AE PB and even Photoshop (but that would be painful).

5. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Why has mokey been kept a secret for so long? Great stuff!

M. Scott

6. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well seeing as it mentions lmutils and the fact about contacting resellers, I don't think the whole thnig will be very accessible ;-). It might be worth to try that 2D tracker though.

Then again why bother when there is another free one? This could compensate for the absence of Icarus:

Voodoo Camera Tracker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.