Buff, NY Wireless Technology Question

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by 72Princess, Dec 26, 2011.

1. 72Princess Force Ghost

star 4
    My wireless connection is spotty at best in the basement. I use it for xBox Live and apps on my TV (esp Netflix), APPLE TV, etc. but am tired off the dropped connections and poor picture quality.

Has anyone tried using the powerline adapters? I am considering extending an ethernet from the upstairs office and purchasing an ethernet switch for all the devices.

Thoughts????
  2. VideoPrince North Ridge Treasurers

star 4
    I've had no experience with a power line adapter, but for one of my business customers I recently installed for them a Netgear WiFi Range extender, purchased from Shadio Rack....Radio Shack for between $70-$90. It was very easy to set up and configure, and basically creates an extended network you program your computer and devices to find with your existing or new password. It did the trick for them in a multi-level building with not current wiring.

Of course, for a sure-fire best connection, you can't beat hard wired, so drilling a hole in the floor and running ethernet cable works too.

If you need help with any of these, give me a call.
  3. JDuffPhoto Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Ethernet cable connection is going to be the best route. Wireless connection is great, but the location of the wireless device will determine how well it works. I'm not crazy about netgear devices myself as any that I have had to support have been a real pain. Linksys (made by Cisco) are pretty good, but if your current wireless is working for you everywhere else except the basement, running a cable would be the most cost effective and stable connection.
  4. 72Princess Force Ghost

star 4
    Thank you for the input!
    Im gonna just run a cable downstairs.
    Will let you all know if I need help but I tend to be a pretty handy girl when I need to be!
  5. quigonschuel Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    X2
  6. VideoPrince North Ridge Treasurers

star 4
    I of course concur with the majority.
    Wired is preferable to wireless when feasible.
    I have a medium size hole drill bit used when I ran ethernet cable to different floors of the house.
    It's yours if you need it.
  7. 72Princess Force Ghost

star 4
    Decided to run the ethernet cable. Will let you know if I need help or tools. I have a drill bit set so I should be good.
    Thanks!!