main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Witches of Dathomir

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by varza, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    Anyone try to make a witches of dathomir costume before?

any suggestions?

2. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Could you post some pics please.

3. The_Clone_Emperor

The_Clone_Emperor Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2002
    [color=006699]Dathomiri Nightsister from Star Wars.com article--I happened to be looking this up this morning.
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/feature/20010817/img/witch_bg.jpg]
    Note; our very own Nostrodomos has made one based on this very illustration;
    [image=http://www.paralada.org/Estonia_self/Estonia_images/SWgeek/GenCon03_Img/gencon0340.jpg]
    Very nice work Nostrodomos!

Enjoy.[/color]

4. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Thanks for the kind words paralada! :)

5. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    no pics sorry.

awesoime costume nost!

okay, i was wondering cause i had in mind a more primitive/amazonian style of a costume instead of that. something made out of leather and such...woud that work...

i would love to make one but hum, with my current costume work i wouldn't have time yet for that.

6. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Make sure to check out some of the covers of the "Young Jedi Knight" series and the "Essential Guide to Characters" for Tenel Ka's costume. She's a contemporary Dathomirian Jedi, doning her "lizard skin" battle armor.

Dathomirian Jedi Knight Kirana Ti's costume can be found in the comic "Jedi Academy: Leviathan." Kirana was also turned into a card by Topps.

Some other Dathomir Witch costumes can be found in Wizards of the Coast's role playing books. Namely, the "Rebellion Era Sourcebook." Adi Granov did that illustration.

Then there is the comic book series "Infinities" that takes place before "Episode II" on Dathomir. These Witches of Dathomir differ greatly in appearance from Tenel Ka and Kirana Ti (Singing Mountain Clan). They are similar to the posted images above.

And of course there are the Nightsisters.

There are 9 different clans on Dathomir, each living in a different region of the planet. It's safe to say that different cultures would have evolved, and thus different clothing styles.

For over a year, I had planned on making a FanFilm that took place on Dathomir - so I emersed myself in Dathomir lore. I have nearly two dozen sketches of Dathomirian witches. I worked on several costumes, and cut hundreds of leather "scales." I completed one battle helm, and was in the middle a quite a bit of armor. I typed up an "Essential Guide to Dathomir" as well as a "Dathomir: Unofficial Encyclopedia." Then we decided to scrap the project.

I'd love to see some other Dathomir costumes! Good luck, and I hope this helped some! ;)

-Mazz

7. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    SOME? It helped a LOT, thanks. I'm working on something along the lines of Dathomir Witch or a Girl Sith costume. Can't draw a lick, but I do have some help in that area, it's the hair I'm having a problem with, how to incorporate it into the costume or just put in back. Glad CIII isn't just around the corner, so I have some time to think about it, I usually finish all costumes the day before I need it, trying to get out of that habit.

8. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    In "Courtship of Princess Leia," many of the witches have braided, "plaited" hair. It's a warrior thing.

In the FanFilm, there were two different clans from vastly different eras. One clan of dark haired witches had dreadlocks and braids - when it wasn't held under their battle helms. The other clan had hoods, or their hair was swept back.

If you're planning on being a witch from Singing Mountain Clan, I'd consider making one of the helms - they sounded very cool in the books, and looked nifty in the few reference pics we've seen.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that West End Game's old role playing book "Cracken's Threat Dossier" has a lot of witch illustrations. The "Essential Guide to Planets and Moons" has a few too.

-Mazz

9. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    awesome those are great refenrces...

I am doing a female sith costume and then a witches costumes (same as sith chick) but the one pic looks like almost exaclty what has been made for me for the female sith in a drawing.

i will let you know how it goes and look into someo of those other refernces....

do you know of any other online refernces for the witches you would recommend?

10. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    I thought th ephoto above was supposed to be the "Sith witch" which evolved into Darth Maul, rather than a Dathomiri.

Any chance you may go back and do that fan film? Sounds interesting to me. I used to use a Dathomir with in my fan fic.

11. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    I would love to see a dathomir fan fic...

we have been talking about one and i am pushing for the use of a sith witch or dathomir witch in it. so we will see....

I foudn some more refernces to the dathomir witches online and will definatly be doing something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.