main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga With a Flash and a Sizzle (H/L, shortly before ESB, vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, Apr 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks for clicking! :D

Title: With a Flash and a Sizzle

Rating: G

Summary: A brief encounter with Leia and Han shortly before ESB.

A/N: [edit] I have calmed. My computer was evil. My email wasn't working. I couldn't open the file to get this story. I had to restart the computer. Nothing was working, in conclusion, and I had had it. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: But I'm calm now. :p

She was only on a simple diplomatic mission to try and gain more allies for the Rebellion.

That was all.

The fact that Leia was two weeks overdue on her return to Hoth meant nothing. Such things happened. It was perfectly normal. Sure, there had been indications that it was a trap, and sure, Leia had insisted on going anyway because they needed those supplies, but that didn?t mean that it would be dangerous. And the lack of communication didn?t mean anything, necessarily, either. Messages took time, even when hijacking the ImpNet, and even then there were security issues. And ?diplomatic mission?, after all, meant trying to kiss some planetary official?s behind while manipulating him into doing what you wanted, and that took time. At least, such was Han Solo?s experience. He didn?t go for diplomacy, really. He?d always felt a blaster was far more effective, and damn quicker.

There was a flash, and a sizzling sound. Han let loose a string of curses that would make a Hutt blush.

He and Chewie had been working on the sensors of the Millennium Falcon for weeks now. Their last run had been nearly disastrous, after the occasionally working sensors almost failed to sense the Imperial vessel hiding behind a moon. Being caught smuggling weapons to the Rebellion would have been . . . bad.

Han admitted to Chewie that they couldn?t put off upgrading the sensors any longer. He had hoped he could keep fiddling with them to get them to still run. But, as they were extremely busy on running weapons for the Rebellion and taking time off would not be good, it had been unavoidable. Chewie had given the Wookiee equivalent of an ?I told you so?. Han, feeling he didn?t have the advantage in this situation, hadn?t replied, despite the strong urge. They had made a stop on the way back to Hoth, and managed to harangue a deal out of a ship-scraps dealer. The sensors weren?t the best of equipment, and would need some work, but Han was sure it could be fitted to work on the Falcon.

And so here they were, simultaneously freezing and getting burned by electrical circuits that refused to function properly.

Han stared at the blackened piece of wiring, and sighed. He yanked it out forcefully, and started cross wiring to make up for it. The Falcon had so much cross-wired circuitry that a few more wouldn?t hurt. And, half of the Falcon?s systems could be damaged and she?d still run. This was his ship, all right.

Chewie made an interrogative noise. He was on the other side of the ship, trying to get the wiring on that side integrated as well. He and Han could just barely hear each other through the deck plating if they shouted.

?Why didn?t we get the other one? Because it was a hundred credits more, Chewie!? Han yelled back.

There was a pause, then another comment from Chewbacca.

?I am not a cheapskate!?

When no response to that was forthcoming ? and Han had a feeling Chewie had decided to humor him ? he went back to work. Han was in an uncomfortable tight spot of the ship, with half his body wedged into the Falcon?s underbelly. A small collection of tools was placed near his face, nearly in his way, but he was working in a small area, and he certainly didn?t want Goldenrod trying to help by handing down tools.

He focused, knowing that he could make the thing work. He had successfully completed less promising repair jobs. Han Solo just didn?t fail.

Except with Leia.

He sighed at himself. Not this again. His mind refused to leave the subject of Her Royal Wor

2. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Oba, you posted, finally! You definitely got the H/L down pat...how they know each other so well, and yet are SO BLIND to what is right before their eyes.

- Loved that last line! LOL! :p

Why all the angry faces, dearest?

3. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    :_| :_|

Don't worry, this is not what you expect. Those crying faces are because I came home and due to Darth Time Difference ( :mad: @ it), my baby was in bed already. :_|

Now onto the story:

:D :D :D

Brilliantly done, dearest. You've captured Han and Leia in the 'testing' period of their friendship, where they are constantly at each other's throats while wondering about more, perfectly. It's a great characterisation of Han (you really should write more of him - that's twice you've done him so well), perfect to the little details.

And the last line? [face_laugh]

hmm...are you following my lead with one-liners??? You know how much I love one-liners...

*hugs* Great work once more, baby. But then again, coming from you, a viggie will always be brilliant.

[face_love]

Until tomorrow... ;) ;) ;)

4. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Wow, I can so imagine that happening. You should write more H/L, oba 8-}

5. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    LadyPadme: [face_blush] As someone who writes so much H/L and does it so brilliantly . . . [face_blush] And I'm glad you liked the last line! :p Thanks! :D

Burkie: I'm sorry I missed you! :_| I was just so sleepy . . . :( And thank you! That's pretty much what I wanted to get across. And I adore good one-liners. ;)

crystalrain: Thanks. :) And maybe I will! :p

6. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    ::passes chocolate covered raisins to oba::

great job! han and leia are the funnest and easiest characters to write. theyre never bland and always a hoot.

7. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Oba! :eek: Do you never run out of vignette ideas? Another miniature masterpiece. Don't know how you do it. And this one has an ultra-cool name, too. :D

8. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    Oh that was wonderful! What a great little slice of their life. To me, you captured the pre-ESB essence of H/L perfectly. Excellent!

9. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Awesome work, obaona! You captured Han and Leia very well, especially Han's feelings about his "failure" with Leia. I also liked the ending, where you said Luke told Han things would never work out between Solo and the Princess! I absolutely love this stage in Han and Leia's relationship, and I think you portrayed it wonderfully. :)

10. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    It was like it was something they simply did, Han and Leia, and they could not help themselves from doing it. True True. Ya nailed them, obaona, great job!!

11. ROGUE_49

ROGUE_49 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    Great fill-in Obaona

It's so weird getting inside Han's head, but I think you did an excellent job exposing some of those hidden emotions.

And ?diplomatic mission?, after all, meant trying to kiss some planetary official?s behind while manipulating him into doing what you wanted, and that took time.

Awe.. Han's just jealous she's not kissing him [face_devil]

I loved the cheapskate line too. Chewie's very insightful- it would be funny to see how he would react to what we've seen of Han's thoguhts on the Princess.

-Rogue

12. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    NileQT87: Thank you! And yup, they're fun to write. Always fighting, always being attracted to each other . . . ;) Who can resist?

Gabri_Jade: No. :p And thanks! This is one of my longer titles - and one of my better ones, I think. ;)

RogueSticks: Thank you! :D [face_blush]

Puggy: Thanks! :D It always seemed to me like they were both trying and failing, until they got the relationship they were supposed to have - love. [face_love] And actually, that part where it says Luke said that was referring to the scene in ANH when Han says something like (forgive my memory): "Do you think it'd work between . . . ?" And Luke says no. ;)

Miska: Thanks! :D

ROGUE_49: Thank you. :) I've always found Han difficult to write, because he has such an interesting mix of personality traits. And [face_laugh] ! Jealous? :p I almost did write a short bit from Chewie's perspective, but gave up after I couldn't remember how to spell Chewie's homeplanet. ;)

13. KatarnLead

Oct 5, 2002
    Ups for my baby! [face_love]

14. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    "I am not a cheapskate!" [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Great work obaona - you should do more H/L, if it's all gonna be this good.

Nemesis ;)

15. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Absolutely brilliant! I loved Han in this piece. He was exactly like I've always pictured him, a blend of love, humor, courage, and down-to-earth (Coruscant?) Han-ness. Everything about the Han/Leia and Han/Chewie relationships were perfect.

16. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    JediNemesis: Thank you! :D And I just might. ;)

Lady_Moonbeam: Corellia, dearest, Corellia! :p And thank you. [face_blush]

Burkie: [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

17. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Very nice! I liked that a lot!

18. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    Oooh, oooh, H/L! Not enough H/L around these days. Loved this! I think you have their interaction down pat, the way they're kind of circling each other, neither wanting to admit how much they're attracted. Good job!

19. ROGUE_49

ROGUE_49 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    You might have said this already obaona, but is there supposed to be more?

20. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Dally: Thanks! :D

Sock_of_Darth_Vader: Thank you! :D My first attempt at H/L, so [face_blush] .

ROGUE_49: Nope, that's it. If there were more it would say 'in-progress'. :)

21. KatarnLead

Oct 5, 2002
  22. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I LOVED your characterization of Han, there aren't many done in first person for him, I was really glad to see this one. It was set during ESB, which is one of my favorites for Han and Leia. They are alwasy testing, teasing and otherwise confusing themselves and eachother. :p Great job! :D Especially the ending, that was perfect. :)

23. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001

This is your first attempt at H/L??? Well, I would absolutely love to see a second, third, fourth... :)

Your characteriztion is excellent and you keep it fun!

J_Girl

24. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Princess1: Thank you! :D I love person, so I often write in it. So - thanks. [face_blush] :D

J_Girl: My first attempt with the two of them interacting - I've done a young (very young) Han Solo fic and one of Leia musing on her twins. :) And thank you. [face_blush] :D

25. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Upsy daisy. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.