main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends With Friends Like These - Sian Ny and Qui-Gon Jinn

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: With Friends Like These
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Sian Ny, Qui-Gon Jinn
    Summary: After Obi-Wan?s decision on Melida/Daan, Qui-Gon must face old demons?and an old friend.
    Notes: I might have played with the timeline of Qui-Gon?s return to the Temple. I make no apologies. :p

With Friends Like These

Sian crossed his arms resolutely across his chest and glared at Qui-Gon. Unfolding his long frame from the chair and leaning forward, Qui-Gon simply frowned back.

?Well?? Sian demanded.

?Well what?? Qui-Gon asked with infuriating calm.

?What do you have to say for yourself?? Sian asked, reaching out to poke Qui-Gon in the chest. It was sort of like jabbing a stone wall, he thought.

?About what?? Qui-Gon asked evasively, though Sian could see from the discomfited expression in his eyes that Jinn knew exactly to what he was referring.

Sian?s eyes narrowed. ?Don?t try and pull that poodoo with me, Qui-Gon Jinn,? he warned. ?You know exactly what I?m talking about!? Another jab for good measure and this time Qui-Gon winced. Excellent, Sian thought, ignoring the throb in his own finger.

?I don?t wish to discuss it,? Qui-Gon muttered, and there was enough heat in his voice to give almost anyone pause. Anyone except Sian Ny.

?So you don?t wish to discuss the Padawan that you left with, but somehow didn?t come back with, is that it??

Qui-Gon?s jaw bulged as he practically spit out the words. ?Yes, that?s it.?

?Well then, that? just too damned bad, isn?t it?? Sian exclaimed, giving Qui-Gon?s shins a less-than-gentle nudge from his hoverchair.

?Will you stop it?? Qui-Gon growled, reaching down to rub his shins. ?You know how much I hate it when you do that!?

?Well, you know how much I hate it when you come back without your Padawan,? Sian snapped. Qui-Gon grimaced and then turned pale, his lips pressed together. Sian knew he was not playing fair, but this situation was too important and any more delay could prove fatal.

?It?s none of your business, Sian,? Qui-Gon warned. ?Stay out of it. If you value our friendship, stay out of it.?

?Then it looks like we?ve got ourselves a problem here,? Sian said softly. ?Because I do value our friendship, Qui-Gon. You know that. Or you should. Who knows what goes on in that gundark-stubborn mind of yours?? Sian heaved a sigh. ?It?s exactly because I do care that I?m going to talk about this. Whether you want to or not.?

?I?ll just get up and leave,? Qui-Gon informed him.

?And I?ll follow.?

?I?ll go someplace you can?t get that infernal hoverchair,? Qui-Gon added, rubbing at his left shin. ?Then what?ll you do??

?I?ll levitate using the Force,? Sian countered. ?You know I can. The Force is my ally, after all,? he added in a passable imitation of Master Yoda?s voice.

?Not forever you can?t,? Qui-Gon said.

?Long enough,? Sian replied.

?Just shut the hell up, Sian. For once in your life, just shut up,? Qui-Gon hissed, surging to his feet. ?Just let it go.?

Sian was quiet for a moment and then moved closer to Qui-Gon, who was staring out a window, seeing nothing ,Sian was sure. ?You?ve got to go get him, Qui-Gon.? The words were quietly spoken, but Qui-Gon?s broad shoulders jerked as if he had been punched.

Turning to face his friend, the big Jedi shook his head. ?He?s made his choice, Sian, I can?t??

?You can, and you will,? Sian insisted.

?I can?t and I won?t,? Qui-Gon retorted.

Sian snorted in disgust. ?This isn?t the same thing, you know. Not at all.?

?What do you mean??

Sian rolled his eyes. ?You know what I mean. You?re taking obtuse to ridiculous levels these days, Jinn.?

Qui-Gon remained silent, his arms crossed over his chest as he glared at his best friend. Sian merely stared back at him, equally determined.

?Obi-Wan isn?t Xanatos,? Sian finally said. Qui-Gon flinched at the sound of the name they no longer spoke. Sian was determined not to add a second name to that list. He would not watch his friend go through that again, even if he had

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW, are you continuing this great story? If so, put me on the PM list.:)

Great to see Sian arguing with Jinn.=D==D=

3. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Awwwwwwwwwwww [face_love] I was thinking about Sian just the other day and wondering where he's been lately.

I'm glad to see he's still around harrassing people and trying to set things right. ;)

4. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    I love these two together.

Another jab for good measure and this time Qui-Gon winced. Excellent, Sian thought, ignoring the throb in his own finger.

?I don?t wish to discuss it,? Qui-Gon muttered, and there was enough heat in his voice to give almost anyone pause. Anyone except Sian Ny.
    [face_laugh]

The whole thing was brilliant.

5. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Best friends having an argument. I have no idea of Qui-Gon Jinn's backstory but I think it's great how normal he is here, having to deal with insecurities and all.

And Sian is great. :D

:D

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Sian's the best friend a guy could have--tell you even the stuff you don't want to hear but need to, and I'm glad Qui listened. (Rather like ... --don't let me go there!!) [face_laugh] ;) Sian has the compassion and objectivity to see and care about both sides of the situation. I, like earlybird--would LOVE it if this continued.

:D

[face_batting]

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was wonderful!

Good for Sian that he knew Qui-Gon so well. He was probably the only one who could get through to the stubborn gundark and push him into going to get Obi-Wan.

?I?ll be waiting for you ? for both of you ? at the landing pad,? Sian promised. ?Now?go get our boy.?

Love his confidence!!

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. piratekitten

piratekitten Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2009
    Wow, this was amazing! =D=
    It's so beautifully written... I'm at a loss for words.

Their conversation was very moving and I'm glad Qui-Gon has such a great friend in Sian Ny. I'm not too familiar with Sian Ny's character, but you definitely captured Qui-Gon's frustration and confusion perfectly! It's just like Qui-Gon to attempt to push people away when they touch on subjects that he doesn't want to discuss.

There is just one other thing that I'd like to touch on before I go off to read more stories. I love how you explained Qui-Gon's anger at Obi-Wan and his decision to remain on Melida-Daan--Qui-Gon felt rejected and that probably made him feel like he'd failed his padawan again. I always figured he was upset because Obi-Wan disobeyed him and put Tahl's life in danger. Only later did he begin to feel guilty and start to reconsider the situation. However, in your story, I love how you made it so that Qui-Gon immediately felt the sting of his padawan's rejection. It makes his actions much more understandable and easier for us to sympathize with him.

Again, beautiful story. I can't wait to read more from you. :)

9. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    This is so true. So, so true. Beautiful vignette. As always.

10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Nice exchange. :) Qui-Gon just needs someone to kick his backside every now and then.

11. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    More Sian. That is always good news. :D

?I?ll go someplace you can?t get that infernal hoverchair,? Qui-Gon added, rubbing at his left shin. ?Then what?ll you do??

?I?ll levitate using the Force,? Sian countered. ?You know I can. The Force is my ally, after all,? he added in a passable imitation of Master Yoda?s voice.

?Not forever you can?t,? Qui-Gon said.

?Long enough,? Sian replied.

[face_laugh]
    I bet he could. And he would.
    And if it wasn't the right thing to do, I'd be sorry for Qui-Gon now.:p

Qui-Gon rolled his eyes, but Sian thought he saw a shadow of a smile tug at Qui-Gon?s lips. ?They should throw you out of the Order,? Qui-Gon observed with no rancor.

?Probably,? Sian agreed. ?But they?d feel bad, me being a cripple and all.? He shook his finger. ?Bad publicity and all that, you know. Not good form at all, my man, not good form.?

?I?m often surprised by the fact that no one has yet murdered you,? Qui-Gon remarked mildly.

?As am I.?

Make that three of us.:p
    Sian is probably just too charming. And being a cripple and all that. It would be bad manners to kill a cripple...

?Will you quit talking if I promise to try??

?You won?t hear a peep out of me,? Sian promised.

So Qui-Gon did it only to shut up Sian, huh?
    And I love how Sian sudenly goes all sentimental. he's really good at pushing buttons.
    =D=

12. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Ah. Best friends are often a pain in the butt. [face_laugh]

Brillient Job I still need to find out where I put your other stories and read those as well. Because anyone who goes through his life without reading your works doesn't know what they're missing!

Keep it up and if this is a continuing story I would like to be on the PM list please.

13. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Great story! :D I loved how you showed Qui-Gon and Sian Ny so naturally transitioning between arguing with heated emotions to discussing even sensitive topics honestly to quipping with each other and so on. There was such a wide range of their relationship shown here in very little space, and it all flowed together so well. I can really see that they're best friends. I'm glad Sian gave Qui-Gon the push he needed to go back and find Obi-Wan.

Excellent work! =D=

14. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    Fantastic Vadey! I really love reading Sian!

=D=

15. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    That was some great interaction.

I?ve never gotten around to picking up any of the books that have the whole Xanatos thing. (Now I feel so much like I?m missing out.)

You captured well Qui-Gon?s struggle, and Sian?s effort to draw out his feelings. I really loved reading the dialogue. :)

16. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Okay, so I think it was maybe eleven years ago when I read the first two Jedi Academy books... once... or something... so I'm only half sure of what's going on here. :p But I do enjoy Sian quite a bit. Qui-Gon has the whole headstrong thing down to an art; it's good for him to have someone who can put him in his place when necessary. Great vig! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.