main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST With Just Over 8 Months Left, How Do TFNers Feel About Rumours or Spoilers?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StoneRiver, Apr 3, 2015.

?

How much of the rumours or spoilers do you believe?

1. I believe all rumours/spoilers from all sites until they are debunked. I know how TFA will be.

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. I believe all rumours/spoilers from some sites but none from others.

12 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. I believe some rumours/spoilers from all sites until they are debunked.

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. I believe some rumours/spoilers from some sites but none from others.

35 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I don't believe it for the most part, but I think there are some little gems of truth out there.

21 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. I don't believe them because I think the rumour sites are being played by the Mystery Box.

11 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. I don't believe. I think the rumour sites are playing with fans for kicks or net traffic/ad revenue.

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. Seriously, I enjoy reading them, but I won't believe any of them until I see it for myself.

23 vote(s)
    21.9%
  9. Why can't I be a bear? I have all the koalafications.

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    MOD Approved. (feel free to edit for better wording wherever is deemed necessary)

I was reading through posts last night and I noticed there is most certainly a belief in the spoilers presented thus far, and likewise there is a disbelief. I am interested in getting a cross section of the users here and getting a truer picture of what we all think about the spoilers (or rumours) that are already out in the open. I'd like to know what level of belief TFNers have. Do they believe everything? Do they believe some of it? Do they read them and laugh?

I'm going to allow multiple answers in the poll because even though it's my poll, I would still have to answer 4, 5 and 6 :D.

The reasons for my entries in the poll would be that I only believe some rumours because I like seeing good evidence to back it up or it just seems to fit, and I only believe some sites because well, let's face it, some are more credible than others. But I'd have to narrow that down further and say that I don't believe most of the rumours, but I do think there are some truths there. I also think there is a deliberate misinformation campaign (EVERYBODY knows about JJ's box ;) ).

I'd like to finish here by thanking all of the creators of the rumour sites. Whether I personally believe or not is irrelevant. Kudos to you all for getting off your butts, creating and running these sites and giving us all here at the 7SA something to chat about. ^:)^=D=

Mod Note: This thread was approved, but please note that it will be watched closely. We don't want it to go downhill at all with discussions about other posters, and it needs to remain civil and friendly.

Immortiss, Seeher and Flapjack4 like this.
  2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  3. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Well let me open by saying I frakking hate most of the MSW spoilers. Seems like we are checking off ANH Events with a few tweaks for it not be a total retread. Luke in 30 secs....Finn sounds like a joke....Poe is barely around it seems....etc.

I like the broadsaber, Rey and Han. Everything else is neutral at best pretty much.

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Overall, I believe MSW and SWU's stuff. Other than that, I think for the most part it's fan-spewed fakeness that's being played for laughs. Even MSW and SWU might not be right on the nose, either, of course. Some things are going to be different. But on the whole I think MSW has a lot of it right.

With that said, while I am disappointed by a few things (namely Luke being absent for most of the movie and Gleeson not playing his son), I think that it will still be a very good movie overall. We don't have any context or dialogue as of yet, but the actions we know of sound like they make for a very exciting movie, and once it's all put together I'm confident it'll be awesome. I'm still very excited to see the movie, and even though some of the things I'd hoped for didn't come to pass, I've accepted that this is not my movie and whatever they're doing, they're doing because they think it tells the best story. So I'm still psyched, because I have confidence that these people have poured love and passion for SW into this movie, and that it will be very obvious when it comes out. :cool:

5. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

[face_dunno][face_dunno][face_dunno]

6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    what do you wanna tell with these emoticons? You can be so cryptic sometimes. [face_tee_hee][face_rofl]:-B8-}[face_talk_hand][face_devil]

starocean90 likes this.
  7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Mood swings like that can only mean one thing: he's pregnant.

BigAl6ft6, TK327, Echo Base and 6 others like this.
  8. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    9 poll questions. 9 emoticons. Welcome to Starocean90's mystery box.

9. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Until they are debunked I believe pretty much most of the spoilers are true (Han dying, Rey playing their daughter, Like guarding the ancient tomb).

10. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    I have to go with 'being played' option (although being a bear was a close second). The whole giving a 'hand' to the winner of that contest last year told me JJ and others were keeping an eye on places like this. And they probably not outright lying to anyone, just giving hints now and then and letting the person make their own conclusions and we end up with ... well what we have. Until I see the scroll, nothing but what comes from Starwars.com will I consider seriously.

11. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    wow, you cracked stars mystery box. :cool:

starocean90 and Flapjack4 like this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Mod Note: This thread was approved, but please note that it will be watched closely. We don't want it to go downhill at all with discussions about other posters, and it needs to remain civil and friendly.

13. Nickname320

Nickname320 Jedi Knight

Jun 29, 2014
    The fact that JJ explicitly said that some of the rumors out there are true makes me more open to what the seemingly well-researched sites (MSW fits this description in my personal opinion) have to say. Plus, the track record of these sites as a whole speak volumes about their reporting - while the movie still won't be seen for another few months, their information on other releases (such as the teaser, promotional releases, etc.) provide 'checkpoints' to gauge their credibility. That being said, I don't think anyone should take every word of any site as fact; sources can be misinformed, can misinterpret what they see, and can also just be flat out wrong.

Then there are the sites like Latino Review. While some of their stories may have been generally correct, most have made be straight up laugh out loud when reading them. Even the way their headlines are phrased suggest that they're willing the report whatever will grab them more clicks (and to be honest, Star Wars spoiler hunters like ourselves will flock to these stories like none other :) ). Still, like StoneRiver said, their content DOES get us talkin' ~ and that IS part of the fun.

14. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    problem with majority of the rumors is the speculation/interpretation/assumption that comes with it and how they also don't take everything into account.:)

15. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    no need to worry, Starocean and I, we understand each other quite well and we are also always friendly to each other. [face_batting][face_devil]

starocean90 likes this.
  16. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I enjoy reading rumors even when they seem full of it. However, one problem I've noticed with rumors is that, even when correct, they give a flat or partial view of what we'll see on screen. That is, reading a brief description of a scene or sequence of scenes doesn't really evoke the tone of the scene or its potential power much, if at all. This flatness and also lack of context in many cases can distort the quality of a film.

So I'm starting to think rumors do more harm in some cases than good. I still read them though. :)

17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Until it's scene on screen (or comes out of JJ/Disney's mouth) all spoilers are rumors. Period end of story. Obviously some rumors are more plausible then others but they are still rumors. I enjoy reading them all as it makes even for great fodder, even the outlandish ones. I also will not give praise to any spoiler who is right or mock any spoiler who is wrong.

That is all....

18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    this isn't the Luke thread which seems to be the only thread where people regularly seem to discuss others instead of the posts themselves.:p

nightangel likes this.
  19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I voted the bear option! Despite reading this forum I actually haven't been following all the latest rumors that closely. Some stuff is very likely the real deal, but then again some stuff (Han dying, return of the Sith) seemed very likely to happen the moment Disney signed the check.

In the case of any rumors pertaining to the return of the Ewoks, however, I firmly vote I Want to Believe.

Seeher and Dra--- like this.
  20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah I know, and that note was not directed at you guys (or to anyone else) specifically. It was a general reminder for the whole thread (which I edited into the first post of the thread too). :)

starocean90 and nightangel like this.
  21. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000
    Believability: I tend to believe spoilers from Making Star Wars, Indie Revolver, and tidbits from others.

My opinion: Based on what we think we know, I am not liking where this story seems to be going. Some of it makes no sense and/or screws with established stuff (i.e. why would Luke sit on a planet and do nothing while everything goes to **** ? It's not in his character to sit back while friends and the galaxy are in peril.).

22. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Honesty, I don't look around for rumors much because usually there completely untrue. I'll give the benefit of a doubt for some sites, but until it's cleared by officials I don't really pay attention. Plus, I rather be surprised when I go into that theater.

23. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    Well I can't say the supposedly true rumours (MSW) gets me excited for the film, in fact they have done the opposite and have lessened my enthusiasm that I had for the film for a month or two after the brilliantly put together teaser trailer. I don't dismiss the rumours out right that their wrong nor do I take them to be 100% true, they are just potential bones to what the movie could be.

MakingStarWars and Echo Base like this.
  24. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    some spoilers from msw. everything that's gets corroborated.

MakingStarWars likes this.
  25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Believe it or not, even though I'm here, I haven't actually read many. At least not in great detail. The Han one was, at least for me, 100% expected. The Luke cameo one, I wasn't a big fan of it at first. However, depending on how it’s presented, I actually think it can be a "Holy crap, that's Luke Skywalker!" moment.

Do I believe them? I trust MSW a lot. The Luke cameo rumour, TBH, is actually the only Luke rumour we've had that rings true. Anything that comes from the Cantina I don’t even read. Literally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.