main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

With the new movies do you feel the emphasis on non-Jedi has been too greatly diminished?

Discussion in 'Archive: Augusta, GA' started by Jedi_TaganCalera, Jun 10, 2004.

?

With the new movies do you feel the emphasis on non-Jedi has been too greatly diminished?

Poll closed Jun 17, 2004.
  1. Yes, where are the Han Solo's of the Universe?

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No, Jedi are what Star Wars is all about!

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_TaganCalera

Jedi_TaganCalera Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2002
  2. Jedi_TaganCalera

Jedi_TaganCalera Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Under the old movies the plot line of the Jedi was still a central one. But enveloping it with stories of "ordinary heroes" is what made the Jedi cool.

Now they're so emphasized that it doesn't feel like you're watching stories with plot and depth but instead a singular view meant to only hold you between uses of Force Powers.

3. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I have to agree. It is somewhat difficult for the average moviegoer to totally identify with Jedi. Yes, they are extremely cool and we love to watch them fight, but they are superhuman (or super-alien), which is something that we are not. Plus, when all the heros in a movie are Jedi, they cease to be as cool. (Don't get me wrong, I still think they're cool)

I do wish we could see the Han Solos and Lando Calrissians of the Prequel era. It would add depth and life to a universe that seems to be filled with only Senators, Sith, and Jedi.

4. Allie Fox

Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US star 3

Jan 13, 2000
    Let's not forget that this is all one big story; a story about the the fall and redemption of a Jedi.

The whole thing is a very personal story told with two different backgrounds. The prequels deal with the inner world of the Jedi and their relationship with the Republic. The sequels are about the "Republic" (read: Rebellion/regular people) dealing with the Sith-run Empire.

The first half tells of Anakin's rise to(and subsequent fall from)power as a Jedi. The second half tells of how his son copes with some of the same issues Anakin faced but without the guidance of a Jedi Order that had watched over the galaxy for over a thousand generations.

5. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    Wow I didn't think about any of that...that's a good point JTC!

I agree! The only non-Jedi they focus on is Padmé.
    Possible Spoiler:
    I think Ep. III deals some with non-Jedi like the Clone troopers and deals specifically with the commander that Obi-Wan is with...but then they turn bad! D'oh!

God bless!

-Malz

6. bluestarwizard

bluestarwizard Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2002
    What can I say, I love Jedi and lightsabres. :)

7. LordJoda-181

LordJoda-181 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2004
    who doesn't love jedi? but I also love Scoundrels and Average Joe's. I mean even luke didn't start playing jedi 'til half way through the OT

8. Headhunter0183

Headhunter0183 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2002
    Im with Malz on this one.
    I did not even notice the lack of non jedi main characters in the NT. I was just too wraped up in all the jedi action.

I think the story could benefit from a scoundrel or a couple of regular joes.

We will just have to wait and see.

9. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    w00t! *highfives James*

:D

God bless!

-Malz

10. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    Again to parrot Malz & Headhunter, I hadn't even thought about the big Jedi push. It seems as if the fact that some of the Jedi were generals in the Clone Wars has just made the SW franchise go crazy with Jedi and Sith stuff all the time. The hero's journey for Luke was the main story, the fact that he became a Jedi was just a step in that story.

Bring back the side characters who use a trusty blaster rather than the lightsaber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.