main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

With the sale to Disney, this does mean GL's tinkering with the SW's films is over, right?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Darth Nerdling, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I was planning to buy the blu-rays of I-VI right when they came out, but then I read that GL still was thinking of releasing a definitive final cut at a later date. (I'm assuming most those changes would involve altering special effects, but who knows with GL.) Now that SW has been sold to Disney, I'm assuming he won't be fiddling around with them anymore. Am I missing something or is this a fair assumption to make?

I also believe that it to be the case that Disney can't release their own version of the 6 films until 2020 (when Fox's distribution contract expires). So, even if Disney were to make special effect improvements to the films (which I doubt they'll do), then wouldn't it be true that Disney wouldn't be able to release their version until 2020?

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows the answers.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What happens after 2020 is a good question.

3. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I would also like to know the answer to this question. I was planning on buying the blu-ray set now that I (finally) recently got a blu-ray player, but had been holding off wondering if the current blu-rays do in fact represent GL's "final" version...

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Well, one thing is for certain: they won't release another Blu-ray version of the movies until the next format comes out. If you want a Blu-ray version of the saga, this is the one.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    They'll do a 4K release once the technology drops in price enough to make a release worthwhile, and after some negotiations with Fox-Fox has the ANH rights for distribution in perpetuity, so we might see some kind of profit-sharing deal.

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't think that Lucas has the rights to modify his films any longer - that is, not to modify them and make money off of them at least.

I guarantee you, that somewhere, in a basement in California, Lucas is editing the films even to this day, keeping them only for himself...

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  7. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

That's probably true. I think he is a tinkerer by nature. I think he makes changes to the movies because he actually enjoys tinkering with them.

8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    He went to film school to be an editor, so yeah, I'd hope he enjoys tinkering with films :p

Not sure where you're getting the impression he doesn't have the rights to modify them anymore Seagoat.

9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I didn't say that he couldn't modify them, I said that he can not legally distribute them and make money off of them anymore, modified further or not.

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Right, I'm sure George just signed away any royalties he's going to get in the future over films he nearly went bankrupt on. :p

11. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't know the first thing about business and stuff. This means that I am right, you're wrong, and your opinion is insignificant under my domain

12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Right-o :p

13. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Seeing as how I only recently got a blu-ray player, I think 4K capability would indeed be far in the future for me...time to plunk down my $85 for the complete saga now! Looking forward to rewatching them all this summer...it's been a while.

14. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Doubtful that Lucas would be able to make any additional changes since he sold Lflm. to Disney; however, I don't know how these types of things work, so am not 100% sure about this.

However, this doesn't mean that Disney (who now owns the franchise) can't make changes to the films if they want to - at least that's my interpretation. Unless, of course, there's some kind of stiuplaution in a contract somewhere that would prevent them from doing this...

15. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    You will enjoy the OT deleted scenes on the bonus disk especially the one's with Luke at beginning of ANH. I can see why they took them out of the movie in 1977, but they show how naive and nerdy Luke was around his friends which gives a nice character arc when he blows up the death star.

16. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Sounds great! I don't think I've seen many OT deleted scenes yet (I think I've stumbled across a few on YouTube since the blu-rays were released). I'm always a sucker for practically any bonus materials. There was a recent thread about the SW radio dramas in this forum and that's what I love about them--all the "extra" lines and scenes.

And yes, I just love Luke's naivete in ANH...it's so charming how bowled over he is when he first sees Leia's hologram message, and I love the complete sincerity with which he announces "I'm Luke Skywalker, and I'm here to rescue you!" when he gets to Leia's cell.

17. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I really don't care a ton if alterations keep occuring as long as the Original is readily available. Then again, if the Original is readily available, who would keep buying the new versions.

18. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Even if he did sell his "baby" over to Disney Star Wars is still his creation and he has the right to present changes to people like Kathleen Kennedy to be put up for consideration if he so chooses

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Plus, I doubt Disney would sue GL for copyright infringement.

DarthBoba, Darth Dnej and JM_1977 like this.
  20. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Until Yoda, Jabba, & the Rancor become 100% CGI, I will still keep waiting for new edits!

21. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    You and me both Padmé!! Deleted scenes and bonus materiel are the only reason I still buy DVDs & Blu-rays :D Can't wait for my SW Blu-ray to arrive so I can devour that stuff!!

Pensive Padme likes this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Studios allow directors to revisit their movies, and I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed Lucas to make further changes to them.

23. YodaDooDahDay

YodaDooDahDay Jedi Padawan star 3

Jul 20, 2010
    Given that Lucas' 1988 testimony to Congress about Artistic Rights was specifically about protecting the rights of artists to control their work and prevent corporations from changing them (note SaveStarWars.com cherrypicks Lucas' testimony to make it seem like the opposite of what he said), I'm certain Lucas' deal with Disney includes ironclad language about which versions he wants released to future generations: his. Does this mean he'll make additional changes? I'm not sure. But it seems likely that the blu-ray versions are the definitive versions going forward.

24. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008

What do you think Disney paid $4bn for if not the intellectual property rights?

25. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Why would you sell anything and agree to not financially benefit in the process? He kept hardly anything out of that 4 bn.

Andy Wylde likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.