main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

With the Temple ablaze, would the homing beacon trap have even worked?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth_Turkey, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Turkey

Darth_Turkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2004
    Hi all, just a quick question. We see the temple ablaze, from Padame's apartment & from Bails speeder, and Padame later confesses she could see the smoke from miles away. Now, considering the temple had not been attacked when any "Off world" jedi last heard, they would suddenly receive a coded message to return home, the war is over.
    Assuming they do not encounter any clones on their way home, the first thing they would see when entering corusaunt would be the Jedi Temple in ruins, smoke billowing for miles. They'd know it was a trap the moment they saw this on the horizon and i doubt any of them would get any closer or seriously believe the war was over. More like a war had just started. After all, why would the temple be ablaze if the war was over? It was never a target of any attack previously.

Do you think it really mattered that Obi-wan changed the retreat message? I think this makes the Jedi apear to be a little dumb. Yoda seems able to sence the attrocities that have befallen the Jedi when he feels their pain. Obi-wan in ANH sences Alderan being blown up, Luke sences his friends pain when Vader tortures Han Solo. Would'nt other Jedi throughout the galaxy feel the suffering of their Jedi friends and know something has gone down, and a trap has been set?

Just a thought.

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Maybe curiousity. "What's happened to the Temple? Why's it on fire? I've gotta get there are see if there are any survivors!" and so on.

As for sensing death, well, I myself think it's part of the whole Living Force theory Qui-Gon believed in. Yoda learns from Qui-Gon's spirit, and later so does Obi-Wan, the lessons of this theory. And part of it is picking up on emotion and intentions, which would include death and pain. How to basically be in tune with the flow of the Force rather than, say, knowing how to leap twenty foot into the air and swing your lightsabre twice around your back.

So the other Jedi didn't feel the deaths of their colleages. They didn't really know how to.

Having said all that, no doubt there's some EU stuff that will totally overrule me here. If so, then I guess it'll just be down to that curiosity. Even Yoda and Obi-Wan, who know a fair bit about what's happened and that the Temple is very dangerous, return there to find out more.

3. Darth_Sideous

Darth_Sideous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    It could have taken days, weeks, or months for returning jedi to get there. The thing wouldn't burn forever. I didn't even notice any fire while Obi Wan and Yoda were there.

4. Dj_Stevie_C

Dj_Stevie_C Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    Any jedi that wasn't dead was probably out on their own and were probably out of the loop, they'd have got to the temple, seen the clones, started to ask what had happened and recieved a blaster bolt in the chest.

Those that had been attacked and survived would've been more cautious but would still want to try and help survivors etc.

5. poodookoo

poodookoo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    ^ what he said!

6. Darth_Turkey

Darth_Turkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2004
    Yeah, i have to agree with you here about the whole "Living force" thing, perhaps this is why the other Jedi could'nt sence the deaths of their friends. They are no in tune to it in the way that Yoda has trained himself to be.

Good point.

7. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I agree with what the others have said. Who knows how long it would take for some Jedi to return, and their curiosity and concern would probably lead them to investigate.

Another reason it would be dangerous is because it's possible that Sidious could sense their presence just by being on Coruscant. It wouldn't necessarily matter if they took one look and turned around, their Force presence could still be felt by the Sith.

8. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    Any Jedi returning to Coruscant would not have attempted to conceal their identities as Jedi. They would've, most likely, informed the fleets surrounding Coruscant of their presense, at which time they would've either been shot out of the sky or been executed upon landing.

9. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    I think a lot of the returning Jedi would have tried to be hero firemen when they saw the temple ablaze.

Some may have said, "I knew that one day Yoda would set the place on fire smoking his shrooms"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.