Before Without a Trace- REVISED (JA) UPDATED Aug24/03

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Arwen-Jade_Kenobi, Mar 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes I know I have other fics I should be working on but this was screaming for a redux. There will be some added scenes and some changed slightly. Have fun!

Title: Without a Trace
    Author: Arwen Jade Kenobi
    Genre: Drama, angst (obi age 15)
    rating: not quite sure yet
    summary: Obi is recovering from some injuries and an illness from his latest mission. Qui is sent off to settle a dispute and and vanishes, leaving Obi-Wan to worry.

Without a Trace: Part One

Two Broken Legs, one broken arm, seven broken ribs, concussion, bruises, minor bleeding, a headache the size of a Yavin Moon and, to top it off, Mi'sung syndrome.

And people wonder why I thing that the Force is out to kill me? This proves my argument more so than any debate. I think I've spent about a year of my apprenticeship stuck in healer's wards, I might develop back problems from laying down so much.

It's three AM and two days after I was taken out of the bloody Bacta tank. I still can't move either of my legs or my left arm, even if I could I'm still stuck here. Stupid medical problems, a real inconvenience most of the time.

Mi'sung syndrome is basically mutated flu. I get nauseous, cold and still sweat (or hot and shivering), headaches, coughing fits, high fever and other such unpleasantries.

Aren't I the lucky one. I am going to be stuck here for a while.

I look next to me, Qui-Gon is sleeping and I have no intention of waking him up. I'm grateful that's I'm the one all banged up and not him, he was this close to being in my place. But I wasn?t about to let that happen, so I changed the rules. Well, actually, pretty much committed suicide but that?s beside the point. All that matters is that I?m laying here instead of Qui-Gon.

Aren?t I the noble one?

Sith, I feel like crap. My head is pounding and I'm sweating even though it must be below freezing in here. I turn my head and see the painkillers on the other side of my bed, reaching it will be a chore. All I have to do it just be very quiet and not wake up Qui-Gon, come on Obi, you can do this. It?s just on that table . . .

I grit my teeth as I try to reach the pain pills, my fingers brush the bottle but pain shoots up my arm. I lower myself back with more force than necessary, and can't hide a gasp for air. I lose concentration and the shields I've been holding up all night come crashing down.

Sith. Qui-Gon's stirred in his sleep and his midnight eyes shoot open. I know very well what he is seeing: A fifteen year old Jedi Padawan in complete agony.

?Padawan what's wrong?? he grabs my good hand.

My breathing is coming out in short gasps and I can tell Qui-Gon is going to call the Healers. The last thing I want is them here, seeing me like this.

I grip his arm. ?Don't...call..them.? I gasp and I jerk my head to the pills, stupidly causing more pain. I swear that my head is going to crack in half any second. I choke back a scream as my Master looks over at the pills. Being the man he is, he certainly isn?t going to even go to the other side of my bed while I?m like this. He reaches out with the Force to call the small white bottle to his fingers. He takes a quick look a the dosages then takes two capsules out of the bottle. Qui-Gon reluctantly releases my hand so I can take the pills

The moment the pills touch my tongue I seem to feel better, Qui-Gon hands me his glass of water and I down them with the liquid. I close my eyes and count to ten, all the while taking deep breaths. I feel Qui-Gon grab my hand again and I know I'd better give him a sign that I'm okay. Well..okay from a certain point of view.
    ?T-Thanks,? I stutter. I start getting chills again. Great, perfect timing. Sith, I HATE being sick

Qui-Gon gives me the Look, the one that allows him to be concerned and amused at the same time. Sometimes I wonder if he is more amused right now, there?s no way of telling.

?You're welcome Padawan, and no one likes being sick.? He says with the ?believe me I know? look.

I smile through my slowly fading pain
  2. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Awwww. :_| My poor sick little Obi! I liked how you formatted this story, it seemed to scream Obi-Wan! His defiancy, suffering, and how he didn't want to burden his Master. I thought this was funny though: Lame excuse Kenobi and you know it. Shut up brain! [face_laugh] Anyway, I really like this. It was really good! Is there more? :D
  3. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    UP!! More soon I swear!!!

*kicks thread*
  4. LuvEwan Jedi Master

star 4
    I love seeing him laugh. I doesn't happen much but when it does, it makes me feel so much better.

Even when I feel like I have been stepped on by a rancor. Strike that: a HERD of rancors.

Awwww...loved that, Arwen. Sweet and funny. The narrating style of this is excellent and so realistic, with the mixture of pain and Obi's signature dry humor.

I can't wait for more!

(And thanks again for the beta on my vignette. [face_love] )

Mooorrrrre!
  5. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "Shut up brain."

I too loved that part! :D Interesting to see things from Obi-Wab's POV. :)

More soon?
  6. Obi the Kid Jedi Master

star 4
    Excellent! I LOVE POV pieces. They always seem to add a bit emotion more to a story.

Nice job!

Obi
  7. Just_Jill Jedi Knight

star 3
    Do we get to find out more about what happened? I hope? and does this have something to do with missing people? I hope...

Just Jill
  8. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Jess: thanks!! And yes there is more!

LuvEwan: Thanks and sure thing!

Jemmiah: thanks and here's more!

Obi: Thanks to you as well!

Jill: It might....

I slowly come back to my senses, I don?t want to open my eyes. The pain might come back if I do. And we all know how much I love to be in pain. I wait in expectancy for the pain to come upon me with no mercy....nothing. It appears as if the Force has decided to grant me a small break, that or I?ve just improved slightly from last night. I open my eyes staring at the wonderful decor of the Infirm ceiling, always the first thing I see after a mission. Well, almost always I should say.

I feel a small prick in my broken arm and turn my head to see what?s up with it. There is a syringe stuck in my broken arm. It takes a great amount of will power to keep from screaming in surprise.

"Oh you're awake!?

I try to calm myself down from the shock of seeing that thing in my arm. I now remember why I prefer to not look when I?m being injected with anything. Instead of the needle, I focus on who the Sith was speaking to me. The voice is familiar, I focus on the face and not my arm.

A strong featured face with brandy brown eyes, his sandy blonde hair is cut in Padawan style. I recognize him immediately. Den Calthorpe: Jedi Healer?s Apprentice and part time sadist. Also one of my best friends. Don?t ask, long story.

"Den, I think injecting me while I'm awake would be a better idea. Less risk of me dying of a heart attack.?

Den Calthorpe grins mischievously. ?You see, if I did that, it would give you time to resist. Not something I want happening Obi-Wan.?

One would think that someone who dealt with saving lives every day would be a lot more serious. Not Den. He helps me sit up in bed and I ask him what was in that syringe. Den insists that it?s nothing for me to worry about, just some antibiotics. I'll have to trust him on that one. He goes to get rid of the empty syringe and I laugh to myself as I realize that Qui-Gon is still sleeping. I take a look towards the chair that Qui-Gon no doubt fell asleep in last night. It?s empty.

Now I'm not a baby, I am capable of taking care of myself. But I?m still shocked to see him gone. Odd, odd, odd. Usually no force in the galaxy can keep him from me while I?m in here. Unless it happens to be a very strong sedative of course. Den comes back, rubbing soaking wet hands on a small hand towel as he crosses to the Head Healer?s office to grab something, X-ray?s most likely.

"Where's Qui-Gon?? I try to hide the concern from my voice as I yell the question to my friend and try to sit up in bed.

"The council called for him early this morning.? Den?s reply seems dismissive, like it?s no big deal that the man they have had to drag out of Operating Rooms went so willingly to the council. ?I think they just wanted a mission report."

It does seem reasonable, but something doesn?t feel right. Usually the council will wait until I?ve been checked out to pester my Master. Den also said that he was called ?early this morning; and it can?t be that early in the day right now.

"What time is it now?" I ask.

"10:52hrs." reports Den curiously

"What time did Qui-Gon leave?"

"I don't remember, I think around 0800." Den walks back into the room, carrying X-Rays and a large, bulging file which I can only assume is mine. ?You know how long the Council loves to drag reports out. This is nothing but standard annoyances caused by the Council.?

I turn that around in my head. The mission we had been on was pretty complicated, but they council wouldn't need to keep him this long over a report. Even if Den is right in his cynical assessment of the Council. Most reports take an hour or so at most. Unless....no, they wouldn't do that Would they?

As my addled brain continues to think, my Master walks in. I look up with a smile, but it immediately falls. Qui-Gon?s face is a mask but I can tell that he is not pleased. Never a good sign.
    Den looks at me and I give him one of
  9. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  10. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  11. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!!! I loved it! HA! I knew the trouble for Obi couldn't possibly be over yet. His face goes stern. Oh great what did I say now? "Padawan,? he warns seriously in the ?Master? voice, ? No matter what happens I want you to promise you won't come after me. I highly doubt that the mission will go to those kind of extremes but I want you to stay on Temple grounds."
    Why do I get a sick feeling that Obi-Wan will not follow his prmoise? ;) We all know how much Obi-Wan loves Qui, so if the Master gets in any troubkle, the padawan will come running. Great job, once again!!! :D
  12. Renton Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Two Broken Legs, one broken arm, seven broken ribs, concussion, bruises, minor bleeding, a headache the size of a Yavin Moon and, to top it off, Mi'sung syndrome.

Dang and I thought I was vicious with Obi-Wan. ;) Very good job! I can't wait to see where this goes! :D

RK.
  13. Shaindl Force Ghost

star 4
    Arwen,

So glad you're reposting as I hadn't seen this. Lovely work - I especially like stories written in first person. I've written a few things in that style, and I find it's so much more personal than third person.

Love Obi-Wan's comments about his situation - very amusing. Can't wait for the next post!

Shaindl
  14. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Jess: I won't comment on that

Renton: You're just as bad lol

Shaindl: thanks!
    -------------
    Six days later

HOLY SITH THAT HURT I scream at Master Healer Saline Ne'hera as she attempts to move my legs into a, supposedly, more comfortable position. I don?t know what her definition of comfortable is but I doubt it?s the same as mine

I know Obi-Wan just calm down or I'll have to sedate you. I shut up. The Twi'lek healer can be ruthless if she has to, and I?m not in the mood to cause her annoyance. I take my good hand and grab onto the side of the bed as I call on the Force to give me some sort of strength. This seems to be okay my way, for once. I can barely feel Saline?s hands anymore let alone the pain in my legs.

Except I don?t think the room is supposed to be fading. The room looks fuzzy and everything is blending into itself. I really don?t have a great feeling about this. I find myself in a dark hallway, standing next to a doorway. I watch in curiosity as I see that the room is an office of some sort. I can see several beings in business suits, and one familiar figure standing in front of them. Qui-Gon.

My heart screams with joy that he is okay, he?s standing in front of those men and talking though I can?t hear the words, it?s as if I?m in an echo. My eyes are focused entirely on my Master, assuring myself that nothing has happened to him in the short while he?s been gone. Qui-Gon, I wish I could be there with you right now. I don?t like the idea of you alone.

I suddenly feel an immense disturbance, never a good sign. I feel another presence at my left and I see a figure crouched on the other side of the doorway. The figure?s face is hidden but I see the blaster he aims at my Master?s back.
  15. Obi the Kid Jedi Master

star 4
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You left us THERE????????????????? How cruel! hehe

I remember reading part of this on the other board..but lost track of it. Nice to see it here. Another Obi POV piece! I always love these. Somehow it really brings the pain closer to the reader. Nice job, Arwen!

Obi
  16. forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This is great - Obi torture from Obi POV!

Now I'm not a baby, I am capable of taking care of myself. But I?m still shocked to see him gone. Odd, odd, odd.

I really like the realistic style! Poor Obi - you better get better soon and take off to find your Master - though that may land you in trouble because of the promise!
  17. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    You know, I strongly dislike cliffhangers like this. [face_plain] How could you leave us there????? :_|

8-} You're doing a great job so far with this fic, but I still hate that darned cliffhanger. More soon, please.
  18. Renton Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Arwen: Yeah I guess you are right. ;)

Good job!!! :D
  19. PaddyJuan Force Ghost

star 4
  20. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  21. Jedi_Cyana Jedi Master

star 3
    I don?t know what her definition of comfortable is but I doubt it?s the same as mine

hehe...loved that...

ooh...cliffhangar, huh? UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  22. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
  23. Renton Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
  24. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Obi: Oh yes, did I mention I love evil cliffies? [face_devil] muhaha!

f_j: thanks!

Jess: [face_devil]

Renton: thanks!

Juan: ditto

Cyana: thanks Great to see a new reader!

Kitara: does now sound good?

Fear washes through me, I have to stop him. I rush at the man but pass right through him. I?m confused for a moment, then remember that I?m in some sort of vision. I curse the fact. I?m powerless to a thing to stop what I see. Qui-Gon please sense something, move to the other side of the room I beg you

The vision fades before my eyes, blackness falling before me. I feel massive pain over the bond we share then I scream at the silence as the bond is silenced harshly. I close my eyes tight, trying to block out the pain I feel.

?Obi-Wan? ? I hear Healer Ne?hera?s concerned voice and open my eyes. I?m still in bed and Saline is staring at me in confusion. I haven't done anything yet Obi-Wan. Why are you screaming?? The mention of me screaming reminds me why I made one. I reach out over the bond again, nothing. As if he had....no I can?t think that way. I won?t. I can?t afford to.

Qui-Gon, I gasp. Something's happened with Qui-Gon. Saline looks at me doubtfully, thinking I??m delirious or something. ?I'm serious I shout. Something is wrong, very wrong. Why can?t she sense it?

The Twi'lek woman looks at me oddly, Tell me exactly what you saw and I'll go inform the council. I tell Saline everything and she leaves to speak to the council. I haven?t convinced her, but I hope the council will believe me.

I lay back in my bed, feeling very worried and tired. I close my eyes and pray that I?m overreacting as I fall asleep.
    ----------------------------
    An hour or so later, I wake up and Den is noting down my progress on his datapad. He smiles as he sees that I?m awake. ?Your fever has broke,? he says cheerfully, ?we can start on your legs soon.?

I nod dismissivly at the report, I have bigger things on my mind than my health. Has Healer Ne'hera come back from the council yet? Den nods, but there is something amiss in his eyes. He doesn?t say anything else.

Well what did they say? I nearly snap. Saline chooses that moment to step in.

They say that what you saw was an illusion. Don't worry about it. Her voice tells me something other than what her words do. I can?t believe this, that was to real to be fake.

An illusion I scream. ?Master Ne'hera, I felt pain from him and our bond is shut off. I don't think that states that everything is all right

The Healer looks at me sternly and loads up a syringe. I know what?s coming and I am not going to make it easy for her. I back away from her as she comes closer with the sedative. My legs move and I throw myself back onto my pillow as pain shoots up my body. I scream again just as the head healer sticks the syringe in my arm.

Without a Trace: Part 2

It has been exactly three weeks since Qui-Gon left on that mission and I haven't been told anything yet. I know there is something that is being kept from me, right now I?m waiting for them to stop stalling and give it to me. It looks like that isn?t going to happen.

Master Yoda came to visit me a few days after my outburst. I tried to get an answer out of him, but the cryptic troll kept lecturing me on how to respect Saline. I ended up begging him for some news, or I'd be forced to take action. Yoda looked at me and simply said. Honor your promises you do. Keep it that way you should.

I have a feeling that everyone knows what's going on except for me. My friends and their Masters give me grim looks every time they visit, like they are paying last respects or something.
    The two healers have left to things up upmost importance here on separate occasions: a datapad and a comlink. These two things could help me so I have been hiding them under my mattress for the past week or so. A few times, late at night. I have tried to hack into the Temple files but it is beyond my ability with computers.

I need someone
  25. forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh dear! Why doesn't anyone let Obi know? This is horrible torture! Did Qui-Gon make them promise that Obi shouldn't be told anything until he recovered? Poor, dear Obi-Wan!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.