main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Without Luke and Leia, who will "own" R2D2 and C-3PO?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by cerealbox, Dec 26, 2017.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I'm not sure if you're serious or not?

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000

Half and half. Because I think it makes more sense for the droids to stay with the rebellion. However Kylo as Leia's son has a legitimate claim to the droids if anything were to happen to her. As they were his grandparents and now his parents. So it brings up an interesting possibly story arc of what would happen if something happened and someone showed up and took the droids to him. He would have a wealth of information. Of course he might not want them as they represent everything he hates and I don't think he really ever stops and thinks tactically.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  3. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    5) Artoo gets involved with Yoda, has some great moments on Dagobah before restoring the Hyperdrive allowing the Falcon to escape.
    6) Artoo is pivotal in the rescue of Han, he delivers the message, sneaks Luke's lightsaber aboard the sail barge and frees Leia from being chained to Jabba's corpse.

4. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Rey most likely, Ben probably wouldn't care about the droids. As sad as it would be for me and most of you, maybe the droids need some kind of send off in IX to symbolize finality (also to say that no one is safe in this film as Han's death would have done in ROTJ). It could be where R2 has to go on a suicide mission to help the others and 3P0 refuses to abandon him.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It actually should be difficult to permanently kill R2 and 3PO--they could in theory backup their memories and personalities regularly on some secure data archive (someplace like Scarif--but a data archive for droids instead of weapons.)

Thus, if they were ever destroyed one can just build them a new body and download their personality and memories from the backup--it would only be outdated by however long their last backup was before their death.

I had the same issues with Data's death in Star Trek Nemesis. Realistically there should have been a backup of Data in Starfleet Command to get him into a new body.

6. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Rey gets all the things. Except BB8, that's Poe's.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  7. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    You make a good point. I'm thinking specifically if they're on a ship that blows up, but maybe they could be rebuilt even then. I like them as characters, I just think that their presence is a symbol of the continuing saga.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    R2 will tag along with Rey. Threepio will always hang back at the Rebel base. But that's weird for an interpreter. But whatever.

9. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    To me I guess this all depends on Ben Solo's fate; without knowing that key element; I would say C-3PO ends up with the Resistance hierachy (i.e Lt. Connix) as to R2-D2 I think he continues to tell the story of Star Wars with Chewbacca, Rey and the Millenium Falcon. If Ben Solo is redeemed he should be the sole keeper of the droids and then maybe after reflection he can understand the meaning of family through them. It would be impactful on many levels.

10. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    The only fair way to decide this....is to read the last will and testament of luke. Certainly it is covered in there whom his belongings should be handed down to. If he wasnt wise enough to have a 'will'....it should go to next of kin.....who is...yep. Ben Solo...but as Kylo says...Ben is dead and gone. So the way i see it is that there is no known, next of kin. In this case they should be turned over to whatever local authority that exists so they can be re-purposed and or sold back to alliance/resistance as an asset of said alliance/resistance.

11. LukeSkywalker7

LukeSkywalker7 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 14, 2012
    I’m hoping they leave these characters in the past unless they wanna choose r2d2 over bb8. I wouldn’t mind that. No C3p0 please.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It'll be Rey.

So far, Rey has inherited...
    1. Luke's lightsaber
    2. The Falcon
    3. Chewie
    4. The sacred Jedi texts
    5. The Jedi Order

scuiggefest likes this.
  13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Vaders mask yet to come

14. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Rey inherits all the things. Shame she never actually earns any of the things.

15. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Seriously speaking, I wonder when IX starts. Would she have inherited a keepsake from Leia, like her ring.

16. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Drop them on Tatooine where they can be picked up by Jawas and sold to the next moisture farmer? A kind of never ending cycle lol.

17. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Chewie should get them. Or they've gained Droid independence (is that a thing?).

18. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    Given TLJ and the dynamic they set in the movie, I think C3PO may go with Poe

B3 likes this.
  19. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    I have this image of a scene of him running around arms flailing “Oh oh! PLEASE put those lightsabers down before someone gets hurt! It clearly states in the Jedi manual that NO lightsabers are to be ignited outside of training exercises! “ in the new Jedi Academy grounds.

Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  20. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I like the chemistry between Poe and Threepio, and I hope Threepio stays among the Resistabellion leadership. With Poe as Leia's heir apparent, it just feels right. Though TLJ was a step in the right direction, it would be nice if he were given more to do. Ideally, he would be used as a translator in the multi-species armada of Resistance allies I've already decided will appear in 9.

Hopefully R2 has found closure with Luke and manages to overcome his crippling depression. He really needs to get back into the action. I feel like he'll remain with the Falcon crew, whoever that shakes out to be.

Jedi Knight Fett and Pensivia like this.
  21. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    They've done so painfully little with them, I guarantee it won't be an issue.

22. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I hope R2 becomes the sole repository and archive of those Jedi Books. That keeps him important. He's the best candidate for that: his memory from the entire saga is untouched, the Luke missing map piece, the Leia recording, Death Star plans, Obi-Wan vs Anakin fight, he probably has the whole Jedi Academy slaughter (Rey really should check on that now that she has two versions of that story).

Speaking of 3PO, I wonder if there's a way for him to have gotten his pre-Episode IV memories back. The whole Anakin is Vader thing isn't a secret in AGFFA any more, or anything like that. It's possible in TFA and TLJ he knows it all again.

23. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    They shouldn't belong to anyone. After all they've done, they earned their freedom.

24. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Perhaps I should have named the thread "who will they work for when all is said and done"

25. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    In that case, the Resistance obviously. 3PO's droid spy network is probably the most effective intelligence service in the history of GFFA. Until RJ decided to completely ignore it in his movie that is...