main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Without Rancor (Dooku, Qui-Gon oneshot, humor)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dreagoddess, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreagoddess

Dreagoddess Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2006
    Title: Without Rancor
    Author(s): Dreagoddess
    Timeframe: pre-JA
    Characters: Dooku, Qui-Gon
    Notes: This was written as a drabble request for something with Dooku and his first padawan.

The first time Qui-Gon Jinn looked up at his Master with earnest eyes and asked, "Can I take care of him?", Dooku didn't hesitate before agreeing. It was just one small feline, completely harmless. Besides, it would be good practice in connecting to the Living Force.

The next was an avian with a broken wing. Dooku let Qui-Gon bring it home, reasoning practice in Force healing was an essential part to any Jedi's training.

The motherless nest of koaties caused a minor furor in Customs when they came back on planet, but Dooku thought learning to deal with (and circumvent, when necessary) bureaucracy was an important lesson.

Dooku was proud of himself for only shouting a little the first time he walked into the refresher and found the turl Qui-Gon brought home from their latest mission blinking up at him from the tub. He considered it an exercise in ingenuity for his padawan to devise a new living situation.

The one time he put his foot down was when Qui-Gon appeared with an injured canid on Maridun, citing the large, poisonous teeth. He was proud of the boy's quick acceptance of his decision and allowed him to bring home an orphaned fwit instead. ...When he realized on the journey home that Qui-Gon had planned the whole thing, he was so proud of his apprentice's cunning he even let the fwit stay.

Two years, three months, and nine days after taking Qui-Gon on as his padawan, Dooku wandered through their quarters, absently dodging the three birds chasing each other through the air, stepping over the sleeping feline, reaching over the turl's bowl for his morning tea, and ignoring the snoring of the creature that had dug a nest underneath the couch. He looked up as the door quietly swished open, admitting his beaming padawan with a squirming bundle clasped firmly in his arms. "I found him down in the lower market, Master, barely more than a newborn and left all alone! Master Yoda said he's called a rancor."

Dooku put down his tea. "I think," he said slowly, looking around his once-peaceful quarters, "it's time we ask if you can use one of the lower gardens for your pets instead."

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

The one time he put his foot down was when Qui-Gon appeared with an injured canid on Maridun, citing the large, poisonous teeth. He was proud of the boy's quick acceptance of his decision and allowed him to bring home an orphaned fwit instead. ...When he realized on the journey home that Qui-Gon had planned the whole thing, he was so proud of his apprentice's cunning he even let the fwit stay.

That was just adorable! I can so see Dooku doing that [face_laugh][face_laugh] Poor Qui would turn their apartment into a zoo if the Master would let him ;)

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Aww, that was delightful Dreagoddess. I liked how Dooku kept trying to reason his induldging his apprentice with logic.

4. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Very cute play on words with the title! Yes, even with Dooku's good, non-rancorous temperment with his padawan, it would be best if their rooms were without rancor.:)

5. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Loved Qui's collection of pets...

A Rancor....OMG. I'd send it to the lower gardens too...

Very cute story. Loved how you wrote Dooku...

6. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    Oh, adore. *is in a happy giggly pile after reading it the third time*

You have great mastery over both of the characters, and that makes this better than just funny, but in character, and a good piece of writing as well. Dooku's longsuffering is the best. An aspect of his character I hadn't ever looked at before, but a genuine one. :)

I'm completely loving your work, Drea! I hope you post more soon, I have quite a taste for it!

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I think," he said slowly, looking around his once-peaceful quarters, "it's time we ask if you can use one of the lower gardens for your pets instead."

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Poor Dooku (I never thought I'd ever say that!) but I admire his patience

Great job on this

=D= =D==D= =D=

8. Dreagoddess

May 19, 2006
    Wow, thanks everyone for the wonderful reviews! I'm blushing. :D

Layren:
    Yes, Qui-Gon absolutely would have a menagerie if he could at all manage it! I figure there's an entire garden at the Temple populated of nothing but his foundlings. <g>

Healer_Leona:
    Yeah, Dooku doesn't want to admit how utterly gone he is over his new apprentice, so he tries to be all logical. They strike me as such a fun pairing!

ardavenport:
    The title is thanks to my frequent cowriter, Persephone Kore. I'm glad you liked it!

hyperspace_police:
    Yeah, you'd send the rancor to the gardens too, but what about the poor gardeners?! ;) I bet they're cute as babies, though.

Charmisjess:
    I'm so glad you liked it! PK dragged me into writing Dooku and I utterly adore him. I hope to write more too. ;)

Kelia:
    Careful, reluctantly liking Dooku was how I got dragged into writing him in the first place! <g> I'm glad you liked it, and thanks for the review!

9. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Great vignette!

Dooku was proud of himself for only shouting a little the first time he walked into the refresher and found the turl Qui-Gon brought home from their latest mission blinking up at him from the tub. He considered it an exercise in ingenuity for his padawan to devise a new living situation. [face_laugh]

Well done! =D=

10. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    And we wonder why he fell to the Darkside...:rolleyes:

....only Qui-gon Jinn would bring home a Rancor...wonder what a Terentek would be like...

11. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    You know, despite the shock of the turl in the bath, I get the feeling Dooku kind of liked the critters.

...But only up to a point. The rancor was really too much.

I do love the assorted lessons. And the total calm.

12. Dreagoddess

May 19, 2006
    Wow, more reviews. I'm wandering around with a big grin. ;)

Jade_Pilot:
    Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

Lady_Snow_Kaguya:
    Hey, no bringing up that unfortunate slip! He won't fall for another several decades at this point. ;) And yeah, a rancor has a face that only Qui-Gon could love. Dooku is plotting ways of getting revenge on Yoda, by the way...

Persephone_Kore:
    The turl was just a little startling, but yeah, I think Dooku liked them too. But he wouldn't admit it under torture! <g>

13. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    When he realized on the journey home that Qui-Gon had planned the whole thing, he was so proud of his apprentice's cunning he even let the fwit stay.

LOL! Qui-Gon and his habit for accumulating pathetic life-forms! [face_laugh] And DoI love the way Dooku turned everything into a lesson. You wrote both of them perfectly. =D=

@};- Thanks so much for writing this!

14. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Loverly!

I loved Dooku's logical rationale's for allowing each pet.

Inquire about the lower gardens, indeed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.