main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Wizard Con - Anyone going?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Shara, May 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    I'm coming up for it, although I don't think many of the other Knights are because there is a local con going on that same weekend.

Also, I'm planning on getting a hotel room and trying to get it near some male friends of mine, but my female friend who was wanting to come down may not be able to. If anyone is coming up and wants to room with me, whether you be local or not, let me know.

2. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    There will probably be a CF dinner at least, but I don't know if anyone is getting a room.

That is also the same weekend as Convergence, if I remember correctly, which is where I'll be headed. I'm more of a costume nut than a comic nut.

~H~

3. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    yeah, I'm kinda both, but there are people I want to see at WizardCon, including my friend Jan. No big whoop, but right now it's looking slim to seeing any of you guys *sniffs*

Oh well ;)

4. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Wait! I'll be there! I love comics, and my best friend Roxy and I make it our yearly girls night out trip.

5. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Woot! Cari, Carrie, and Roxy! ...and well my buddies Steven and Chris too *giggle* Yeah!

6. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    i'll be there......hopefully trying to unload some of my comic collection.

7. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Yeah I need to start putting together my list of "what I want"....mostly it consists of some Gambit comics, though.

8. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    what local con is that weekend? and are any star wars people going to one or the other?

9. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I know that the Men Behind the Masks will be at Wizard World again. I can't access the Wizard World site right now, but I'll post a list of Star Wars guests later.

As far as comics guests go, I think Mark Silvestri is Guest of Honor while Stan Lee is Special Guest. Oh, and The Great Luke Ski is hoping to perform there. I'll post more details (including hotel info) when the Wizard World site is back up.

I've been going to Wizard World every year since 1984 when it was the Chicago Comicon, missing only 1991 when I was in Champaign that summer. I'd rather spend the weekend with my friends from Minnesota Force this year, plus I haven't enjoyed the convention since Wizard took over a few years ago. Still, I hope the conventions aren't the same weekend next year.

Phil

10. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    I think Zuck meant the local con here. yeah it's InConjunction and it's run by Circle of Janus. I think most of the focus is Battlestar Glactica at InCon this year. I haven't heard of any SW peeps being there.

As for Wizard Con, yeah the regular run of the mile SW people will be there....Michonne, Peter, Rusty Goff (the Gonk), but Hugh Quarshie and Silas Carson are supposed to be there as well.

11. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    Wizard's site seems to be up again. Go to http://news.wizardworld.com/Comics/WizWorldChi.asp for Wizard World Chicago info.

The Star Wars guests for Wizard World are:

David Prowse
    Peter Mayhew
    Jeremy Bulloch
    Hugh Quarshie
    Silas Carson
    Rusty Goffe
    Jerome Blake
    Michone Bourriangue

In addition to those names, Stan Winston will be there, who did design Chewbacca's family for the Holiday Special. Terry Moore will also be there who drew a Star Wars Tale story featuing Amidala. There are bound to be more comics people that aren't even listed yet.

For those who are traveling out here, I see there are 5 hotels listed with 2 of them already sold out.

Phil

12. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    is there a website that has a list of all the conventions and guests that will be there?

13. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
  14. the_multiman

the_multiman Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    FYI, Stan Winston is going to be there also. I'm pretty syched about that, although I might not make it this year. I've been there 3 years in a row and had a blast each time.

15. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Ok, this is a while supplies last or until June 5th offer. When you pre-order your WizardWorld Chicago ticket you get an extra copy of the con exclusive Weapon X 1/2 AND a copy of Ultimate Spider-Man 1/2 WizardWorld East Con Exclusive.
    The catch? You have to pay an extra $5 because they ship these two comics to you.
    I think that catch is worth it, because that Spidey 1/2 is going for $70 on Ebay right now. Spidey is hot, so whether you want it for your own collection or to turn around and sell it, it's pretty cool. You could always give it to deserving ChiForce Member tho, like me. :D

16. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Well I got my hotel room and a nice King sized bed. What can I say, I like to have lots of room. I'll be coming up Saturday morning and be there until Sunday, although it's still up in the air whether or not I'll be at the actual con on sunday.

Jan Duursema, although she's not on that list of people there, is going to be there. She told me that months ago. If you don't know who she is, she's the artist who did the AotC adaptation and the Twilight and Darkness series, as well as a recent Star Wars Tales about a young Han Solo. Most who know me know she's a friend of mine and my favorite comic artist. :D

17. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    is wizard con a furry con?

18. NOT_JediJeff

NOT_JediJeff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2000
    It could be - if we play our cards right.

And everybody go to Shara's room for the 2002 Chicago Bed-Jumping Summernationals.

SUNDAY!!! SUNDAY!!!! SUNDAY!!!

19. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    i hear that jedi jeff likes the fur folks.

20. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Jeff's partial to horned, quadrupedal herbivores....

To answer the earlier question, no, WizardWorld is not a "furry" con. At least, not inherently furry, though I'm sure you'll find lots of furry fen there.

21. TomTav

TomTav Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2002
    Alright I cant hold back any longer..
    What is a "furry" Con ?

22. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    "Furries" are people that dress up in full body costumes that look like animals. Thus a 'furry con' would be one where there is a concentration of "furries."

23. synasp

synasp Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    I thought furries were just any humanoid animal... er, an "animorph"... i.e. a fox head with humanoid body, hawk head with humainoid features.... um.. kinda like Egyptian gods...

my cousin is really into furries... I don't get it at all.... not at all...

24. synasp

synasp Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2002
    I thought furries were just any humanoid animal... er, an "animorph"... i.e. a fox head with humanoid body, hawk head with humainoid features.... um.. kinda like Egyptian gods...

my cousin is really into furries... I don't get it at all.... not at all...

anyway, how much is Wizardcon?.. can someone provide a link please? I used to be into comics until all the ones I collected..... well, just stopped... :(

25. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Here is the website....

www.wizardworld.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.